Old 14-05-2003, 12:32 AM
CNB

Default Please ID this horrible plant

I live in SE Georgia. I stepped on some of this stuff barefooted once in
someone else's yard and felt sorry for them for having it. Now I've found it
in a small spot in my own yard and need to get rid of it.

Its a very inconspicuous small plant with leaves that look almost like tiny
parsley leaves. It has tiny seed capsules with sharp stickers on them. I'm
not sure if these stickers last all year or if this is just a seasonal
thing, but I need to get rid of it. Its very painful to step on. Below is
the link to a photo of the stuff. Can anyone ID this and also tell me how to
get rid of it?

http://web.infoave.net/~BN_cbrown/plant.jpg

Thanks,

CNB

Old 14-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Brandi

Possibly in the Thistle (sp?) family? I have similar plants/weeds in my
yard that grows in the Summer with stickers on them - didn't realize it
until I was weeding without gloves (I'll never do that again!) My neighbor
said it was thistle.

Brandi

Old 17-05-2003, 01:20 PM
MacTech

"CNB" wrote in message ...
I live in SE Georgia. I stepped on some of this stuff barefooted once in
someone else's yard and felt sorry for them for having it. Now I've found it
in a small spot in my own yard and need to get rid of it.

Its a very inconspicuous small plant with leaves that look almost like tiny
parsley leaves. It has tiny seed capsules with sharp stickers on them. I'm
not sure if these stickers last all year or if this is just a seasonal
thing, but I need to get rid of it. Its very painful to step on. Below is
the link to a photo of the stuff. Can anyone ID this and also tell me how to
get rid of it?

http://web.infoave.net/~BN_cbrown/plant.jpg

Thanks,

CNB

Here in Wis, we call that a "Sand Burr". Grows in sandy soil and gets
little seed balls that stick to everything. To get rid of it, use a
just a few drops of Round Up on each plant. The pump bottles of Round
Up dispense way more than needed with each pump.

You might want to take a sample of the plant to a local biology
teacher for ID or to an Agriculture dept of a university. The Ag dept
has probably seen it and will know how to get rid of it.

Randy

Share the View.
http://ruralroute2.com

Why are lower leaves of cabbages so horrible? Chris United Kingdom 3 01-02-2007 02:30 PM
Need help with my horrible lawn O.B. Juan Lawns 3 19-04-2006 02:32 PM
to Heidi the Horrible raizn4kids Lawns 0 09-04-2005 03:53 AM
Horrible string algae Sean Dinh Ponds 11 20-03-2004 03:48 AM
I am a horrible person- no water, etc. Kevin Orchids 2 03-12-2003 06:02 PM