Old 25-04-2006, 05:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Sam Alexander

Default New Garden --

Hi All,

I've lived in my house for about 3 years now, and this year I really would
like to get a fruilt garden going. I live in central texas, which means
hot summers, but I was wondering where to start? What fruits and veggies
grow this time of year? I heard that tomatos, bell pepper, okra, and
others will grow, but what else?

Thanks for any starting points --

Sam

---
Sam Alexander - sam.alexander(at)sidebandbbs(dot)com
icq: 5386757 [] AIM/Y!: samalex1701 [] Skype: samalex01
"Data is not information, Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not
understanding, Understanding is not wisdom." -- Cliff Stoll

--- Synchronet 3.13b-Linux NewsLink 1.84
--[SideBand BBS - telnet://sidebandbbs.com]--
Old 26-04-2006, 10:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jonny

"Sam Alexander" -ylz-this wrote in
message ...
Hi All,

I've lived in my house for about 3 years now, and this year I really would
like to get a fruilt garden going. I live in central texas, which means
hot summers, but I was wondering where to start? What fruits and veggies
grow this time of year? I heard that tomatos, bell pepper, okra, and
others will grow, but what else?

Thanks for any starting points --

Sam

---
Sam Alexander - sam.alexander(at)sidebandbbs(dot)com
icq: 5386757 [] AIM/Y!: samalex1701 [] Skype: samalex01
"Data is not information, Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not
understanding, Understanding is not wisdom." -- Cliff Stoll

--- Synchronet 3.13b-Linux NewsLink 1.84
--[SideBand BBS - telnet://sidebandbbs.com]--

Basically, its too late in the year to start the standard open air garden in
Central Texas.
Citrus trees don't take too well either, unless the soil is properly
prepared. Too hot for strawberries.
To extend the growing period, just block out some of the direct sun, but
keep it open for air flow. Transluscent plastic works. Keep the soil
moist.
Weather forecasters are saying summer temps will be early this year for
Central Texas and stay that way throughout the summer.

Plan your garden in February. Plant seedlings first week of March, keep
from freezing. Transplant last week of March, anticipating no further
frost. Plant seed any others at the same time.

Central Texas covers alot of territory. If you live east or south of the
hill country, will require less work and watering. If you live in the hill
country proper, I suggest you bring in some topsoil for the garden. Create
an elevated garden with timbers to hold the soil. Some even use
planters/containers instead of messing with all of this.
--
Jonny

Old 27-04-2006, 11:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Merle O'Broham

Sam Alexander wrote:
Hi All,

I've lived in my house for about 3 years now, and this year I really would
like to get a fruilt garden going. I live in central texas, which means
hot summers, but I was wondering where to start? What fruits and veggies
grow this time of year? I heard that tomatos, bell pepper, okra, and
others will grow, but what else?

Thanks for any starting points --

Sam

---
Sam Alexander - sam.alexander(at)sidebandbbs(dot)com
icq: 5386757 [] AIM/Y!: samalex1701 [] Skype: samalex01
"Data is not information, Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not
understanding, Understanding is not wisdom." -- Cliff Stoll

--- Synchronet 3.13b-Linux NewsLink 1.84
--[SideBand BBS - telnet://sidebandbbs.com]--

Hi Sam,

Welcome to gardening. I'm in Chicago, but if you're just starting out,
(besides this group and also rec.gardens) you could also find a wealth
of information and experienced folks at smaller local nurseries close
to home. They've been there/done that with just about any plant. Don't
waste time at the Home Depot asking a 16 yr old! Good luck.