Old 28-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Heather

Default New Year - New Garden. Thoughts Appreciated

Hi all

I posted here a few weeks ago saying I'd got a new garden. Now I'm at the
"planning what to do with it" stage and I'd appreciate any thoughts or
advice you might have on the following projects:

1. The instant herb garden project.

There's a pre-formed fibre glass raised pool with a wooden surround right up
by the house (surrounded by wooden deck). I don't want it as a water
feature (I have two other ponds - one quite LARGE). I thought I might empty
it out, drill holes in the fibre glass, fill with gritty compost and plant
with herbs. It's about 5' x 3' and about 2' off the ground. Faces SW and
gets reasonable amounts of sun. What do people reckon - will this work or
will it get waterlogged?

2. The native hedge project.

Deciduous hedge runs up one side of the garden for about twenty five feet.
It's about six foot high and has obviously been trimmed with hedge cutters
and not much else done to it as it's got very thin in places. Hard to tell
what it's made of at the moment, but I reckon it includes hawthorn, berberis
and possibly viburnum. Also full of old brambles and rubbish growing
through from next door's neglected and overgrown patch. I'd like to thicken
it up a bit and try some evergreens to give a bit more privacy at this time
of year - any ideas for relatively quick growing - preferably native -
plants. I'd like it to stay an "informal" hedge.

3. The anti-magnolia project

No, not that kind of magnolia. I like those.
The previous owners overdid the "house doctor" bit and have painted the
fibreglass edging of the LARGE (20'x 10') pond and the concrete path edging
and the terracotta "brick" path edging (ALL over the garden) and even the
stones lining the "stream" that feeds the pond, with magnolia paint!!!
Judging by the amount they painted in the house I reckon they got onto
"autopaint" and just couldn't stop...... I think it's ordinary emulsion,
although it looks almost luminous in poor light and is doing the "natural"
look of the garden no favours at all - any ideas for removing it?

I hope you don't mind multiple questions in one message - I expect I'll
think of some more later..........

Seasons Greetings

Heather

Gardening in Wiltshire, on the side of a hill.

--

Spamtrap in operation. To reply to me direct put out the bins. To save
yourself the trouble, reply to the Group.

Old 28-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Bevan Price

"Heather" wrote in message
[...]

If the paint has soaked into porous stone/plastic/concrete, removal could be
very difficult/expensive. Might be cheaper to discard the stones and replace
with new. You could try paint stripper chemicals or white spirit (read the
safety instructions on the container), but these chemicals are unlikely to
be friendly to nearby plants or soil. You might also try a hot flame burner
type of paint stripper, but NOT on plastics, and there is a risk of cracking
ceramics, etc. As a last resort, you could overpaint in a more suitable
colour.

Happy New Year

Bevan

Old 29-12-2003, 09:21 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Heather" contains these words:

Hi all

Happy Christmas H

I posted here a few weeks ago saying I'd got a new garden. Now I'm at the
"planning what to do with it" stage and I'd appreciate any thoughts or
advice you might have on the following projects:

1. The instant herb garden project.

There's a pre-formed fibre glass raised pool with a wooden surround right up
by the house (surrounded by wooden deck). I don't want it as a water
feature (I have two other ponds - one quite LARGE). I thought I might empty
it out, drill holes in the fibre glass, fill with gritty compost and plant
with herbs. It's about 5' x 3' and about 2' off the ground. Faces SW and
gets reasonable amounts of sun. What do people reckon - will this work or
will it get waterlogged?

Waterlogging could be a problem, I'd make LOTS of holes (big enough
not to block with washed-down soil debris) and put a 6" stoney drainage
layer in the bottom..any old bricks and broken blocks etc will do, as
most herbs don't mind lime mortar.

2. The native hedge project.

Deciduous hedge runs up one side of the garden for about twenty five feet.
It's about six foot high and has obviously been trimmed with hedge cutters
and not much else done to it as it's got very thin in places. Hard to tell
what it's made of at the moment, but I reckon it includes hawthorn, berberis
and possibly viburnum. Also full of old brambles and rubbish growing
through from next door's neglected and overgrown patch. I'd like to thicken
it up a bit and try some evergreens to give a bit more privacy at this time
of year - any ideas for relatively quick growing - preferably native -
plants. I'd like it to stay an "informal" hedge.

It sounds well established, so it may be easier to renovate the
existing plants than plant new ones in soil that's full of roots.
Cutting back hard and a good mulch with manure will produce thick new
growth from low down. I'd keep some brambles; they are so fast and can
be trained across baldy bits, a good deterrent to dogs/intruders, and
produce blackberries. If you decide there's room for new plants, there
are some good evergreen cotoneasters which are quite fast. Holly is
lovely but much slower, especially where there's competition from
established plants. Ivy can be useful as a filler. All of them support a
lot of wildlife.

3. The anti-magnolia project

I think it's ordinary emulsion,
although it looks almost luminous in poor light and is doing the "natural"
look of the garden no favours at all - any ideas for removing it?

If it's just emulsion, rain and weathering should wear it off,
eventually :-)

I hope you don't mind multiple questions in one message - I expect I'll
think of some more later..........

It's not a problem, but posters often get more replies if they post
each Q separately with its own header. It's better to state the topic in
the header, too, that attracts far more interest than vague headers like
"help" or "query".

Janet

Old 29-12-2003, 11:35 PM
Heather

Thanks Bevan & Janet

I'm going to give the herb thingy a go (when the weather improves - pouring
rain and COLD all day here today) so I'll let you know how it turns out.

I know the paint will probably wash off "eventually", but you should see
how garish it looks in the meantime..... I thought about painting over it
but not sure that ANY colour would really look natural and as for
replacing - it really is a LOT of stone/concrete and some of it is firmly
fixed. Might try scrubbing it when the weather is better.....

Happy New Year to all

Heather

Old 30-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Heather

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Can I recommend Hyssop to you?

You certainly can Steve. I've grown it before and found it to be an
excellent bee plant. I am hoping to grow a few of the more bushy herbs here
rather than just the low growers - I've got different plans for them -
mainly involving being part of a scheme with paving. More on that when I've
thought about it a bit more.....

Heather

Old 31-12-2003, 12:34 AM
Sacha

Heather28/12/03 6:50

Hi all

I posted here a few weeks ago saying I'd got a new garden. Now I'm at the
"planning what to do with it" stage and I'd appreciate any thoughts or
advice you might have on the following projects:

1. The instant herb garden project.

There's a pre-formed fibre glass raised pool with a wooden surround right up
by the house (surrounded by wooden deck). I don't want it as a water
feature (I have two other ponds - one quite LARGE). I thought I might empty
it out, drill holes in the fibre glass, fill with gritty compost and plant
with herbs. It's about 5' x 3' and about 2' off the ground. Faces SW and
gets reasonable amounts of sun. What do people reckon - will this work or
will it get waterlogged?

If there's *plenty* of drainage, I think it stands a good chance and it
sounds interesting, too. Certainly worth a try with the herbs that like a
lot of sun and well drained roots.

2. The native hedge project.

Deciduous hedge runs up one side of the garden for about twenty five feet.
It's about six foot high and has obviously been trimmed with hedge cutters
and not much else done to it as it's got very thin in places. Hard to tell
what it's made of at the moment, but I reckon it includes hawthorn, berberis
and possibly viburnum. Also full of old brambles and rubbish growing
through from next door's neglected and overgrown patch. I'd like to thicken
it up a bit and try some evergreens to give a bit more privacy at this time
of year - any ideas for relatively quick growing - preferably native -
plants. I'd like it to stay an "informal" hedge.

Would Eleagnus 'do' with you - lovely scent on some of them? But in your
shoes, I'd wait one whole year and see what you have got and how it can be
improved.

3. The anti-magnolia project

No, not that kind of magnolia. I like those.
The previous owners overdid the "house doctor" bit and have painted the
fibreglass edging of the LARGE (20'x 10') pond and the concrete path edging
and the terracotta "brick" path edging (ALL over the garden) and even the
stones lining the "stream" that feeds the pond, with magnolia paint!!!
Judging by the amount they painted in the house I reckon they got onto
"autopaint" and just couldn't stop...... I think it's ordinary emulsion,
although it looks almost luminous in poor light and is doing the "natural"
look of the garden no favours at all - any ideas for removing it?

First question is - can you stick the whole lot in a pile and hose it off?
The paint won't be doing your stream any good, I'd guess. Second question
is, can you hire one of those things that tumble stones around to rub,
abrade most of the paint, or would a local quarry do that for you at a small
charge? Then, replace the stones and put a few dabs of live yoghurt here
and there on each one to encourage the growth of the 'natural look'.

I hope you don't mind multiple questions in one message - I expect I'll
think of some more later..........

Seasons Greetings

And to you and good luck! Keep us up to date, won't you? Personally, I'm
riveted by anyone who would paint stones with magnolia paint - and so MANY
of them........!
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 31-12-2003, 03:26 PM
Heather

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .

1. The instant herb garden project.

If there's *plenty* of drainage, I think it stands a good chance and it
sounds interesting, too.

I shall give it a go and let you know how it turns out. Will post some
photos when I find a good place on the web to put them....

2. The native hedge project.

Would Eleagnus 'do' with you - lovely scent on some of them? But in your
shoes, I'd wait one whole year and see what you have got and how it can be
improved.

I know you're supposed to wait a year in any new garden, but I'm not sure I
will be able to stop myself planting stuff anyway...

3. The anti-magnolia project

First question is - can you stick the whole lot in a pile and hose it off?

Not without digging up all the edging, some of which is cemented down -
might work for the rocks though.
put a few dabs of live yoghurt here
and there on each one to encourage the growth of the 'natural look'.

Like that idea - might try it if/when I scrub any of the paint off.
Personally, I'm
riveted by anyone who would paint stones with magnolia paint - and so MANY
of them........!

You should see the house..... (mind you magnolia works in a house!). Lovely
people but they were not gardeners! Still at least I have a blank canvas to
start with as far as most of the pants are concerned : )

Sacha

Thanks for the ideas.

Heather