Old 18-06-2006, 02:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
The Addison's

Default Trimming hedges

Would it hurt my hedges if I wanted to trim them back quite a bit. By that,
I mean, if I wanted to cut their height by 2-3 feet, would it harm/kill the
plant? Should I just wait until the fall? These are not the evergreen type,
they are the hedges that have stiff branches with leaves.

TIA,
Hawkeye65

Old 18-06-2006, 02:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

The Addison's said:

These are not the evergreen type,
they are the hedges that have stiff branches with leaves.

That narrows it down to, oh, several thousand possibilities.

Point being, the type of plant as well as the time of year, will determine
if it's time to prune, and how much you can cut them back. You'll need to
be more specific on the plant species and your location. Is a linked pic
possible?

--
Eggs

Do stars clean themselves with meteor showers?
Old 18-06-2006, 02:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bill

Do you HAVE to cut it back all at once?
If you can, thin it out by about one third a year. You will get a fuller
hedge, and it will not suffer from shock.
My2cents.

--
remove one of the @'s unless you are a spammer.
. ..

Old 18-06-2006, 02:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JL

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote
The Addison's said:

These are not the evergreen type,
they are the hedges that have stiff branches with leaves.

That narrows it down to, oh, several thousand possibilities.

Point being, the type of plant as well as the time of year, will determine
if it's time to prune, and how much you can cut them back. You'll need to
be more specific on the plant species and your location. Is a linked pic
possible?

How about a burning bush in metrowest Boston Massachusetts - can it be
trimmed now?

Old 18-06-2006, 02:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

JL said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote
The Addison's said:

These are not the evergreen type,
they are the hedges that have stiff branches with leaves.

That narrows it down to, oh, several thousand possibilities.

Point being, the type of plant as well as the time of year, will determine
if it's time to prune, and how much you can cut them back. You'll need to
be more specific on the plant species and your location. Is a linked pic
possible?

How about a burning bush in metrowest Boston Massachusetts - can it be
trimmed now?

Most likely, too late. Best to prune back burning bush in late winter, just
before new growth starts.

--
Eggs

-A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defence.

Hedges/drainage superstar_etta Texas 13 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Planting hedges Gary Harper Texas 16 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Hedges Shepherd Gardening 4 30-03-2003 10:44 PM
High Hedges Bill Essjay001 United Kingdom 16 30-12-2002 06:25 PM
Growing Roses through Beech hedges Grahame Fendle United Kingdom 3 25-11-2002 05:07 PM