Old 29-06-2006, 11:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dave

Default Another water hammer question

Before I get too many descriptions of a water hammer,,, I'm a
firefighter, so I know allll about water hammers. And, I am aware of
the 'water hammer arrester'. I have one.

This is a little different story. When I bought this house 5 years
ago, all 6 valves would bang when closing. As you can imagine it drove
me crazy. I called Rain Bird, with zero luck.

Finally I thought that I would just dig up the old valves and replace
them, and as I got ready, I realized that it is just the guts that need
changing, so I replaced the old diaphram with new ones. It worked!
Absolutely blew me away, but I was so pleased that I didn't question
why.

About two years later I started getting the banging again, but this
time, I found a supply place that sold diaphram kits.

Now I am starting to ask questions. I still have one valve (the last
one in line) that bangs when closing if it doesn't get a new kit every
year.
Why would this be necessary? I went 16 years in my old house with the
same valves and I never changed the diaphrams. It is a simple fix, but
it shouldn't happen this often.

I have two adjusting valves (screws) on top. One lets me turn the
system on to test it, but for the life of me I don't know what the
other one does. I'm not talking about the large manual valve at the
top. These are both smaller.

Any thoughts???

Old 30-06-2006, 07:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bill

Sounds like you may have greater water pressure than your other system.
How about a small expansion tank? That should stop the banging.

--
remove one of the @'s unless you are a spammer.
oups.com...

Old 02-07-2006, 02:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dave

Actually, that was a problem that I dealt with, with a pressure
regulating valve.
I don't remember what it is set at now, but it is what the Rain Bird
tech recommended.
It was 105.

Thanks for your thoughts Bill.

Bill wrote:
Sounds like you may have greater water pressure than your other system.
How about a small expansion tank? That should stop the banging.

--
remove one of the @'s unless you are a spammer.
oups.com...

Old 02-07-2006, 02:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dave

PS
What is an expansion tank, and how do I install one?

Old 02-07-2006, 02:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bill

105 what? Not PSI..??
The expansion tank is like on your hot water heater. Small tank, about 1 or
2 gallons in size. Has a bladder inside with air in it to prevent an
expansion problem on hot water tanks, and it helps well pumps with less on,
off cycling. Absorbs the water pressure differential.

--
remove one of the @'s unless you are a spammer.
ups.com...

Bill wrote:
Sounds like you may have greater water pressure than your other system.
How about a small expansion tank? That should stop the banging.

--
remove one of the @'s unless you are a spammer.
oups.com...

Old 02-07-2006, 06:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dave

Yep,,, 105 PSI. This system was too high.

Bill wrote:
105 what? Not PSI..??

Old 02-07-2006, 08:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bill

"I don't remember what it is set at now, but it is what the Rain Bird
tech recommended.
It was 105."

How many heads are on that 105psi zone?
You must have an excellent water supply system.

--
remove one of the @'s unless you are a spammer.
"dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yep,,, 105 PSI. This system was too high.

Bill wrote:
105 what? Not PSI..??

Tooluxe 6 In 1 Scraper with Soft Grip Hammer End [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 22-05-2009 12:36 PM
Water hammer Mel Lawns 2 02-06-2005 04:15 AM
Arm & Hammer and green-water Nick Wise Freshwater Aquaria Plants 11 24-11-2004 08:07 PM
[IBC] Will hitting the trunk with a hammer help? JOEL MCCORMICK Bonsai 5 27-08-2003 11:12 PM