Old 15-07-2006, 07:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Talk2Me

Default Changing the blade belt on a Mastercut riding mower.

Hello all,

I've had a Mastercut riding mower for about 10 years that finally
shredded a belt.

It's a 12 HP, 42 inch cut.

It's the belt that runs the blades.

I have a new belt, but it looks like it's harder to do than I
anticipated.

The belt has to go around several things and I have no idea how to do
this.

I'm on a limited income and would prefer to do this myself. The shops
cost more than I can afford right now.

Can anyone give me some instruction on how this is done safely and
properly?

Thank you for your help
Old 15-07-2006, 08:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Talk2Me" wrote in message
Hello all,

I've had a Mastercut riding mower for about 10 years that finally
shredded a belt.

It's a 12 HP, 42 inch cut.

It's the belt that runs the blades.

I have a new belt, but it looks like it's harder to do than I
anticipated.

The belt has to go around several things and I have no idea how to do
this.

I'm on a limited income and would prefer to do this myself. The shops
cost more than I can afford right now.

Can anyone give me some instruction on how this is done safely and
properly?

Thank you for your help

Here ya go - drop your internet service for a few months and you'll have
enough to pay to have a shop put it on.
or
I've never seen a Mastercut and your's might be the only one running - but
if it's verticle shaft - the belt has to go around the drive pulley from the
motor and the driven pulley on the deck. Each of these pulleys probably have
belt guides that keep the belt from falling off. Loosen them just enough
to slip the belt on and then reposition them and tighten. In between the
two large pulleys there has to be at least one idler / clutch pulley. If
this is a flat pulley the belt goes on the inside of it. If it is a V
pulley the belt goes on the outside. Make sure the deck is in the off
position so there will be slack in the belt as you put it on.

Old 15-07-2006, 10:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Talk2Me

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:30:21 GMT, "Srgnt Billko"
wrote:

"Talk2Me" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

With the deck on one side and the various connections on the top, how
do I get the belt around them? It seems that I would have to
disconnect several things.

I'm told that the mower is the same as a MTD or Murray. Just a
different name put on it for the point of sale.
Old 15-07-2006, 10:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Talk2Me" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:30:21 GMT, "Srgnt Billko"
wrote:

"Talk2Me" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

If I understand you right, you don't go around them - you go through them.
Get down in front and look back past the drive pulley. You should be able
to see a clear path where you can feed the belt through.

Old 16-07-2006, 12:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Willshak

wrote:

"Talk2Me" wrote in message
[...]

You didn't save the owner's manual (pamphlet)?
You probably have to remove or loosen the deck to relieve the tension to
get the belt around the pulleys, then reinstall the deck.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY