Old 24-07-2006, 06:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Crab grass?? Spray?

Is there a good spray specifically for crabgrass?? Thanks.
Old 24-07-2006, 07:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

jtees4 wrote:
Is there a good spray specifically for crabgrass?? Thanks.

I've had good results with Acclaim, which is what I use.

Old 24-07-2006, 08:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

jtees4 wrote:
Is there a good spray specifically for crabgrass?? Thanks.

Ortho Weed-B-Gone for Crabgrass sucks. It just makes them ill for a
while (they get limp) and then they shoot back up.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 24-07-2006, 08:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

3 applications are required, about 7 to 10 days apart. That's true
with the Bonide product, also.

Old 24-07-2006, 08:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:57:36 -0400, jtees4 wrote:

Is there a good spray specifically for crabgrass?? Thanks.

I've had success with Ortho Weed-B-Gon Crabgrass Killer, Concentrate.
Just have to note, I have to spray more than once for larger plants,
and it generallly isn't a spray once and forget product.

I like it cause it does no visible damage to my yard, and kills the
crab grass.

hth,

tom @ www.Japanese-Beetles.com

Old 25-07-2006, 12:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
ups.com...

jtees4 wrote:
Is there a good spray specifically for crabgrass?? Thanks.

I've had good results with Acclaim, which is what I use.

Acclaim is a great POST emergent crabgrass treatment (if available OTC in
your area) and dimension is a great pre emergent treatment (needs to be
applied in the spring).

Old 25-07-2006, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Thanks all!
Old 30-07-2006, 04:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message ...
jtees4 wrote:
Thanks all!

ps. Be careful using post emergent crabgrass killer in hot weather (above
84F) and also on drought stressed turfgrass. You can burn your desirables
with it.

....also, crabgrass will die on its own this fall.

Yup, crabgrass is an annual, so you might not want to bother with it this summer so late in the year.

There is a new spray out there - Drive - somewhat expensive and available only in larger quantities. I think I paid about $100 or so
for a quart sized jar. You use very little of the powder, however - I think about 1/3 oz per 4 gallons spray. It works very well -
single application. ...will yellow the grass somewhat, particularly if you get too much on. I've used it for the last 2 years on my
bermuda with very good success.

Old 30-07-2006, 07:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jeff" wrote:
. I think I paid about $100 or so for a quart

That seems expensive for grass killer, Jeff?

--
JDWILD is a top posting asswipe
Old 30-07-2006, 09:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo said:

"Jeff" wrote:
. I think I paid about $100 or so for a quart

That seems expensive for grass killer, Jeff?

Drive 75 DF (75% Quinclorac) is $40 for a 1.5oz bottle of dry concentrate
(plus shipping), which will treat 5000 sq ft. Whoa. Ya, you gotta want it
gone really bad this time of year, to drop that kinda green! But, I guess
if he's getting it for $100 a quart, that's a pretty damn good deal. =)

--
Eggs

-Buy one for the price of two and get the second one free!

Old 30-07-2006, 04:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:58:07 -0400, Tom The Great
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:57:36 -0400, jtees4 wrote:

Is there a good spray specifically for crabgrass?? Thanks.

I've had success with Ortho Weed-B-Gon Crabgrass Killer, Concentrate.
Just have to note, I have to spray more than once for larger plants,
and it generallly isn't a spray once and forget product.

I like it cause it does no visible damage to my yard, and kills the
crab grass.

hth,

tom @ www.Japanese-Beetles.com

BTW, I just picked up Bayer Advanced Weed Killer for Lawns. It
claimes to work as a broad leaf weed killer, and a crab grass killer.
I'll be trying it out soon. I'll post my findings.

later,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Old 31-07-2006, 04:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:57:13 -0600, "Jeff" wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message ...
jtees4 wrote:
Thanks all!

ps. Be careful using post emergent crabgrass killer in hot weather (above
84F) and also on drought stressed turfgrass. You can burn your desirables
with it.

....also, crabgrass will die on its own this fall.

Yup, crabgrass is an annual, so you might not want to bother with it this summer so late in the year.

Since it is an annual I will probably wait. I had beautiful grass this
year, no crabgrass to be see until a few weeks ago. Then it grew and
took over so fast it was hard to believe. It now is probably 50% of my
rear lawn. What do I do next year to prevent it?
Thank you.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message ...

jtees4 wrote:

Thanks all!

ps. Be careful using post emergent crabgrass killer in hot weather (above
84F) and also on drought stressed turfgrass. You can burn your desirables
with it.

....also, crabgrass will die on its own this fall.

Yup, crabgrass is an annual, so you might not want to bother with it this summer so late in the year.

Since it is an annual I will probably wait. I had beautiful grass this
year, no crabgrass to be see until a few weeks ago. Then it grew and
took over so fast it was hard to believe. It now is probably 50% of my
rear lawn. What do I do next year to prevent it?
Thank you.

Depends on where you are. Get a pre-emergent herbicide and apply it in
the Spring. In the US, it would be in April or May.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message ...

jtees4 wrote:

Thanks all!

ps. Be careful using post emergent crabgrass killer in hot weather (above
84F) and also on drought stressed turfgrass. You can burn your desirables
with it.

....also, crabgrass will die on its own this fall.

Yup, crabgrass is an annual, so you might not want to bother with it this summer so late in the year.

Since it is an annual I will probably wait. I had beautiful grass this
year, no crabgrass to be see until a few weeks ago. Then it grew and
took over so fast it was hard to believe. It now is probably 50% of my
rear lawn. What do I do next year to prevent it?
Thank you.

Depends on where you are. Get a pre-emergent herbicide and apply it in
the Spring. In the US, it would be in April or May.

I am on Long island, in NY. Any specific brand recommendation? Thanks.

Crab grass and pre-emergent welsh dragon Gardening 2 24-01-2004 05:32 AM
Question on overseeding and crab grass blahb Lawns 3 26-09-2003 02:22 PM
Crab Grass Issues Thrill Gardening 6 16-08-2003 02:02 PM
Crab Grass Kyle Boatright Gardening 1 06-05-2003 02:20 AM
crab grass and milky spore thoranw Gardening 2 28-03-2003 11:20 PM