Old 02-08-2006, 04:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
RB RB is offline

Default weed/grass killer info wanted

I've been doing a bit of online research on herbicides, and am confused by
the abundance of the different compounds available.

What we'd like to do is get some kind of affordable, bulk weed/grass killer
(like Roundup?) to use as border controls around parking lots, fencelines,
etc. We've got about 7 acres of fenced lawn and parking areas to maintain.

Would appreciate info on any sources of such product that would do for our
purpose.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

RB wrote:

I've been doing a bit of online research on herbicides, and am confused by
the abundance of the different compounds available.

What we'd like to do is get some kind of affordable, bulk weed/grass killer
(like Roundup?) to use as border controls around parking lots, fencelines,
etc. We've got about 7 acres of fenced lawn and parking areas to maintain.

Would appreciate info on any sources of such product that would do for our
purpose.

http://www.agrisupplyco.com/cgi-bin/...135.000000&l=1
http://www.agrisupplyco.com/cgi-bin/...379.000000&l=1

http://www.agri-supply.com/

move on their webpage as follows to get to the two products
I'm recommending.

product listing
lawn and garden
lawn and garden supplies
grass killer

use 3 ounces of Gly Star Original to a gallon of water and
you got a real kill.

Gly Star PRO already has SURFACTANT in it. Gly Star Original
is without SURFACTANT. a good money saving trick is to add 3
or 4 drops of Joy dish washing liquid for each gallon mixed.
works really good.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim Ledford said:

RB wrote:

[...]

Adding a dye works well, also. You'll definately want to know where your
spray has hit. (This goes for *any* non-selective herbicide.)

--
Eggs

- Listen: Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for
a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate
from the masses, not from some... farcical aquatic ceremony!
Old 10-08-2006, 03:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Jim Ledford said:

RB wrote:

[...]

food coloring is cheap and harmless to the environment.

I'm a soybean farmer and that's where I use the vast majority
of my Gly Star non-selective herbicide. the beans I grow are
genetically altered to tolerate the active ingredient glyphosate.
[TM] RoundUp Ready® soybeans they are called.

when spraying a field it is VERY important to obtain complete
and even coverage, very important! you can lose large by incorrect
spacing and leaving a strip untreated for weeds to flourish and
spread from.

as I was thinking my way though the initial design of my field
sprayer I realized the booms extended 8 rows out from each side
of the tractor. I then realized I could stop at the end of the
rows, count over 16 rows and have a small over lap giving me
complete coverage. so I omitted the expensive row marker which
uses a foam dye calibrated to drop once about every 20 yards.

after several years of producing really clean beans I got noticed
and several farmer friends asked me how the heck I did it without
row markers. the looks on their faces as they realized how they
too could have omitted the several hundred dollar investment of
the row marker attachment by counting rows has been priceless.

the GPS systems used out west on the 1000 acre fields are pretty
dog gone impressive for providing even coverage.

in my lawn care business I use very little non-selective herbicide
and when I do, I just slow down and pay careful attention, because
the mix of 3oz to a gallon is a kill all strength derived from the
41% glyphosate contained in the Gly Star product.

ps: Eggs, you are a good read. your advice is sound and of
good measure.