Old 07-08-2006, 06:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default lawn lime

"JoeM" wrote:
Best type to use on a newly seeded lawn,granular or ground,and why

The pellets are much easier to spread since it doesn't clog the spreader as
bad as the pulverized variety. They are basically the same product
otherwise.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Best type to use on a newly seeded lawn,granular or ground,and why

Old 07-08-2006, 07:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo wrote:
"JoeM" wrote:
Best type to use on a newly seeded lawn,granular or ground,and why

The pellets are much easier to spread since it doesn't clog the spreader as
bad as the pulverized variety. They are basically the same product
otherwise.

That's incorrect. The pelletized "lime" sold in big box stores is
actually limestone (calcium carbonate). Real lime from a tile/concrete
place is hydrated calcium oxide. The pelletized product is much easier
to handle. But real lime reacts much more quickly whereas limestone is
used for monuments. Acid rain certainly has caused damage to limestone
things but it takes many years.

Now, if you want a really strong base order anhydrous calcium oxide from
a chem supply house, but be careful with it because it sucks the water
out of anything it's in contact with. I'm experimenting with a cheap
compromise -- good old fashion wash lye, sodium hydroxide. It's quite
basic and should be effective at raising the pH of the lawn.

Of course, JoeM should test his soil pH before doing anything. Mix
together samples from a half dozen spots so an average is read.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Steveo wrote:
"JoeM" wrote:
Best type to use on a newly seeded lawn,granular or ground,and why

The pellets are much easier to spread since it doesn't clog the
spreader as bad as the pulverized variety. They are basically the same
product otherwise.

That's incorrect. The pelletized "lime" sold in big box stores is
actually limestone (calcium carbonate).

No, it is correct actually.

He's speaking of agricultural lime and the difference between the
pelletized and pulverized variety's, in which case there is no difference
besides a bonding agent to hold the pellets together.

I agree. The lime products associated with cement are not found at
garden shops. What you buy at the garden shop is suitable for lawns,
regardless of the form. And I agree that the pelitized form is much
easier and less messy to apply, though more expensive.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

trader4 wrote:

Steveo wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Steveo wrote:
JoeM wrote:
Best type to use on a newly seeded lawn,granular or ground,and why

The pellets are much easier to spread since it doesn't clog the
spreader as bad as the pulverized variety. They are basically the same
product otherwise.

That's incorrect. The pelletized "lime" sold in big box stores is
actually limestone (calcium carbonate).

No, it is correct actually.

He's speaking of agricultural lime and the difference between the
pelletized and pulverized variety's, in which case there is no difference
besides a bonding agent to hold the pellets together.

I agree. The lime products associated with cement are not found at
garden shops. What you buy at the garden shop is suitable for lawns,
regardless of the form. And I agree that the pelitized form is much
easier and less messy to apply, though more expensive.

ok, now that ya'll got the lime all identified, I'll share a lawn
care tip. it's been noted already how pulverized lime clogs the
spreader and is no fun to work with. but pulverized lime will go
into the soil faster than pelletized. you need to speed up the
obtaining of the desired result from your lime application.
[impatient customer] mix 60/40 pelletized/pulverized in the
spreader hopper. MIX well with stir stick and then apply. this
trick has only been field tested in a broadcast type spreader,
therefore at this time there is no data available for the use of
one of those crappy drop type spreaders.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

trader4 wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
trader4 wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Steveo wrote:
JoeM wrote:
[...]

I don't doubt that this could work and be a lower cost solution, but do
you really think it works any faster? Doesn't the pelletized form
just effectively become the pulverized after the first rain or water
application?

field test data has shown a faster rate of change in the soil pH when
pulverized lime was applied at the same rate as pelletized lime on two
separate plots controlled and held to the same conditions.

mixing in the prescribed 60/40 pelletized/pulverized manner offers a
better way to work with pulverized lime in order to gain a faster change
in the pH.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Jim Ledford wrote:
trader4 wrote:

Steveo wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Steveo wrote:
JoeM wrote:
[...]

Sure does, and I imagine one would need a fairly calm (no wind) day to
apply pulverized limestone with a broadcast spreader unless you don't mind
looking like casper the ghost when you're finished. :-)
Old 08-08-2006, 11:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim Ledford wrote:
field test data has shown a faster rate of change in the soil pH when

pulverized lime was applied at the same rate as pelletized lime on two
separate plots controlled and held to the same conditions.

How much faster, do you have a url to these test results?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
field test data has shown a faster rate of change in the soil pH when

pulverized lime was applied at the same rate as pelletized lime on two
separate plots controlled and held to the same conditions.

How much faster, do you have a url to these test results?

under the heading "Selecting a Liming Material" you'll see and read.

"The finer the limestone particles, the more
rapidly it becomes effective"

"The finer the grind of the limestone the faster
it will change the soil pH value."

http://www.savvygardener.com/Features/soil_ph.html
Old 08-08-2006, 02:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim Ledford wrote:
Steveo wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
field test data has shown a faster rate of change in the soil pH when
pulverized lime was applied at the same rate as pelletized lime on two
separate plots controlled and held to the same conditions.

How much faster, do you have a url to these test results?

under the heading "Selecting a Liming Material" you'll see and read.

"The finer the limestone particles, the more
rapidly it becomes effective"

"The finer the grind of the limestone the faster
it will change the soil pH value."

http://www.savvygardener.com/Features/soil_ph.html

I don't think we are disputing the fact that finer ground limestone
will work faster. But isn't pelletized aboput the same grind just
made into pellets with some kind of binder that dissolves quickly with
water?

Old 08-08-2006, 02:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim Ledford wrote:
Steveo wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
field test data has shown a faster rate of change in the soil pH
when
pulverized lime was applied at the same rate as pelletized lime on
two separate plots controlled and held to the same conditions.

How much faster, do you have a url to these test results?

under the heading "Selecting a Liming Material" you'll see and read.

"The finer the limestone particles, the more
rapidly it becomes effective"

"The finer the grind of the limestone the faster
it will change the soil pH value."

http://www.savvygardener.com/Features/soil_ph.html

Faster...5 minutes, 5 hours, 5 days?
Old 08-08-2006, 03:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Mike" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Jim Ledford wrote:
trader4 wrote:

Steveo wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Steveo wrote:
JoeM wrote:
[...]

Its not limestone!!! Lime is actually brown in colour!

Does this look brown to you?

http://www.martinlimestone.com/mli/a...ages/lime3.jpg

Old 08-08-2006, 06:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Mike" wrote in message

"Steveo" wrote in message
Jim Ledford wrote:
trader4 wrote:

Steveo wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Steveo wrote:
JoeM wrote:
[...]

Limestone is a sedimentary rock composed chiefly of calcium carbonate, which
in its' pure form is white. Limestone varies widely in color due to other
material that accreted in the sediment.
The lime associated with building is not calcium carbonate but calcium
hydroxide which is quite caustic.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chas Hurst wrote:

Limestone is a sedimentary rock composed chiefly of calcium carbonate, which
in its' pure form is white. Limestone varies widely in color due to other
material that accreted in the sediment.
The lime associated with building is not calcium carbonate but calcium
hydroxide which is quite caustic.

Calcium Oxide is caustic in its anhydrous form. When it absorbs water
it goes to CaO * 6H20 or maybe CaOH as you suggest. Pardon me if I got
this wrong -- it's been nearly 50 years since I was in high school
chemistry class!