Old 22-09-2006, 05:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default fertilizing mystery

I have a Scotts rotary fertilizer spreader model 1000, which I bought
several years ago but haven't used much. This fall I decided to give my lawn
a fall fertilization for the first time, so I bought a bag of Scotts' Turf
Builder Pro 31-3-8. It said it covered 9600 square feet, and since my lawn
is less than 8000 square feet I bought one 28 lb bag.

On the bag it said to set my spreader to 3 1/2, which I did. The problem was
that it only covered 1/3 the lawn before it was all gone. I hope that
doesn't mean I burnt the lawn, and I also can't think of what I could have
done wrong. I was careful to spread it according to directions (about 4-5
feet between each spread, which is certainly the width of the throw).

I guess I won't buy more now, since I won't be able to remember where I left
off. So next Spring the outside part of my lawn will be either burnt or
really happy?

Old 22-09-2006, 11:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Dave Gower wrote:
[...]

Dunno. But you *will* be able to remember where you left off

Old 23-09-2006, 03:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Ken Weitzel wrote:
Dave Gower wrote:
[...]

There are a few different models of Scotts broadcast spreaders. Are
you sure you looked at the info for the setting for the correct model?
Mine can be adjusted, so it's also possible yours is adjusted wrong.

When I'm applying anything, I keep an eye on how fast it's going down,
to make sure it is reasnable. If it was going down 3 times as fast as
it should, it should have been obvious and you could have backed off
the setting.

I'd go ahead and do the rest of the lawn. Just go lighter at the
approximate area of overlap. This is slow release, it's hard to burn
the lawn in the Fall. And if it's gonna bet burnt, it would happen
now, not next Spring.

Old 23-09-2006, 04:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in

There are a few different models of Scotts broadcast spreaders. Are
you sure you looked at the info for the setting for the correct model?
Mine can be adjusted, so it's also possible yours is adjusted wrong.
... This is slow release, it's hard to burn
the lawn in the Fall. And if it's gonna bet burnt, it would happen
now, not next Spring.

Yes, after the first post I spotted the lower screw. It obviously needs some
adjusting. I sent an email to Scotts, and am trying to find the manual.

But it was the second issue, burning, that I appreciate knowing about.
Thanks.

Old 23-09-2006, 05:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Dave Gower" wrote in message
[...]

Where are you located? If your area is still warm, you might end up with a
burnt lawn. I would be especially worried if you get a good rain followed by
several days of warm weather.

Do you have a bagging mower? You might be able to pull some of the excess
fertilizer off of the lawn if you cut the lawn and use the bagger before the
fertilizer gets damp.

One tip. I usually set the spreader at 1/2 the recommended application
rate, put half the required fertilizer in the hopper, spread it, and repeat
the process. It may lead to a more even application and gives you a quicker
indication if the application rate is off.

Old 23-09-2006, 06:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

"Dave Gower" wrote in message
[...]

This will removed 2-5% of the fert.
One tip. I usually set the spreader at 1/2 the recommended application
rate, put half the required fertilizer in the hopper, spread it, and
repeat the process. It may lead to a more even application and gives you
a quicker indication if the application rate is off.

Do half one way, then half the other.

Old 23-09-2006, 08:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

Where are you located? If your area is still warm, you might end up with
a burnt lawn. I would be especially worried if you get a good rain
followed by several days of warm weather.

I'm near Ottawa in Eastern Ontario. We had 12mm (1/2") of rain last night
and are supposed to get more on and off for several more days. Temperatures
are expected to be in the range of 7-18C (42 to 65F) for the next week.
August and the first half of September were warmer than normal, so the
soil's warm.

Old 24-09-2006, 06:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Dave Gower" wrote in message

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

Where are you located? If your area is still warm, you might end up with
a burnt lawn. I would be especially worried if you get a good rain
followed by several days of warm weather.

I'm near Ottawa in Eastern Ontario. We had 12mm (1/2") of rain last night
and are supposed to get more on and off for several more days.
Temperatures are expected to be in the range of 7-18C (42 to 65F) for the
next week. August and the first half of September were warmer than normal,
so the soil's warm.

I am in kingston, and IMO you will have a hard time burning your lawn.
However I was thinking and you either have your settings way off, or your
SQFT way off.

Old 24-09-2006, 07:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Mike" wrote

I am in kingston, and IMO you will have a hard time burning your lawn.
However I was thinking and you either have your settings way off, or your
SQFT way off.

Thanks for the comfort, but what's SQFT?

Old 25-09-2006, 04:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Dave Gower wrote:

Mike wrote

I am in kingston, and IMO you will have a hard time burning your lawn.
However I was thinking and you either have your settings way off, or your
SQFT way off.

Thanks for the comfort, but what's SQFT?

sq. ft.
square footage