Old 25-09-2006, 07:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Ground Cover for Shade Area

I'm in mid-western Wisconsin and I have a camper parked at a resort. My
spot has some thick pines that block out most of the sun so very little
grass grows. The soil is very loose and brown. On a dry day it's easy
to kick up a cloud of dust from the lot. I'd like to plant some sort of
ground cover to reduce the amount of dirt and mud that enter the
camper. Would clover work for this type of environment? Do you have
other suggestions? I'd rather have something that doesn't require a lot
of maintenance as we're usually only there on weekends.

--
Jerry

Old 25-09-2006, 11:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in mid-western Wisconsin and I have a camper parked at a resort. My
spot has some thick pines that block out most of the sun so very little
grass grows. The soil is very loose and brown. On a dry day it's easy
to kick up a cloud of dust from the lot. I'd like to plant some sort of
ground cover to reduce the amount of dirt and mud that enter the
camper. Would clover work for this type of environment? Do you have
other suggestions? I'd rather have something that doesn't require a lot
of maintenance as we're usually only there on weekends.

--
Jerry

Indoor-outdoor carpet is the only thing I can think of off hand.

Old 26-09-2006, 12:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko said:

"Jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in mid-western Wisconsin and I have a camper parked at a resort. My
spot has some thick pines that block out most of the sun so very little
grass grows. The soil is very loose and brown. On a dry day it's easy
to kick up a cloud of dust from the lot. I'd like to plant some sort of
ground cover to reduce the amount of dirt and mud that enter the
camper. Would clover work for this type of environment? Do you have
other suggestions? I'd rather have something that doesn't require a lot
of maintenance as we're usually only there on weekends.

--
Jerry

Indoor-outdoor carpet is the only thing I can think of off hand.

Agreed. The shade isn't the only problem, with the pines. *Maybe* English
Ivy would be a good choice, but I'm not so sure, that far north.

--
Eggs

-A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defence.
Old 26-09-2006, 04:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in mid-western Wisconsin and I have a camper parked at a resort. My
spot has some thick pines that block out most of the sun so very little
grass grows. The soil is very loose and brown. On a dry day it's easy
to kick up a cloud of dust from the lot. I'd like to plant some sort of
ground cover to reduce the amount of dirt and mud that enter the
camper. Would clover work for this type of environment? Do you have
other suggestions? I'd rather have something that doesn't require a lot
of maintenance as we're usually only there on weekends.

--
Jerry

Indoor-outdoor carpet is the only thing I can think of off hand.

I thought about that too. One thing I forgot to mention is that we have
two dogs. I'm not sure if their pee and poop will wash out in the rain
or with a hose? Their one of the big reasons for seeking ground cover
so their muddy paws don't track dirt into the camper. We've been wiping
their paws whenever they come in from the rain and we're fine with that
but it's a pain.

--
Jerry

Old 26-09-2006, 04:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in mid-western Wisconsin and I have a camper parked at a resort. My
spot has some thick pines that block out most of the sun so very little
grass grows. The soil is very loose and brown. On a dry day it's easy
to kick up a cloud of dust from the lot. I'd like to plant some sort of
ground cover to reduce the amount of dirt and mud that enter the
camper. Would clover work for this type of environment? Do you have
other suggestions? I'd rather have something that doesn't require a lot
of maintenance as we're usually only there on weekends.

--
Jerry

Indoor-outdoor carpet is the only thing I can think of off hand.

You may have two problems -- low light, plus water requirements. Most of
the shade-tolerant ground covers that I can think of require a regular
source of water. As for tracking in dirt and mud, most of the non-turf
ground covers aren't nearly as tolerant of foot traffic as turf is. I don't
think clover is an option because of light requirements. Perhaps Boston
Ivy, possibly sword ferns (invasive), but both would require regular care
and watering, may be outside their range, and it's probably already too late
this year.

Early next spring I might plant raspberries to grow in a part of the area
unless I needed to be able to walk through the area, plus provide a really
heavy mulch of pine straw to keep down dust and mud --

Poison ivy might do well in these conditions -- :-(

Old 26-09-2006, 04:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Have you considered moving? What sort of resort has no sun?

Old 26-09-2006, 11:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jerry" wrote:
Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

How about pea gravel instead of ground cover? Go with small round stone,
it's easier on the bare feet.
Old 26-09-2006, 02:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chas Hurst wrote:
"Jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

No. We love it there.

What sort of resort has no sun?

One in the woods ;-)

Seriously though, we've been going there for a while now staying at a
family member's camper and now we have our own. They have sites that
get sun light (some people lay sod and have nice lawns). Since we're on
the bottom of the seniority list we get what's left after everyone
picks their new spots. We'll probably be there for a couple of years
before we're able to move.

--
Jerry