Old 20-11-2006, 04:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Chain Saw Recommendations

Hello All,

I've got about 100 dead avocado trees that are eyesores. I'm looking for
a 14" or 16" chain saw that can help me prune back the limbs.

If anyone can recommend the saw that they currently use or have used, I
would be most grateful for the help!

Alan

Old 21-11-2006, 03:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

JB wrote:

I've used the same 18" Shindaiwa chainsaw for more than 15 years now and it
runs just great. I'd buy another if I ever needed one.

the Shindaiwa is a fine product.

Old 21-11-2006, 12:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

A. Pismo Clam wrote:
Hello All,

I've got about 100 dead avocado trees that are eyesores. I'm looking for
a 14" or 16" chain saw that can help me prune back the limbs.

If anyone can recommend the saw that they currently use or have used, I
would be most grateful for the help!

Alan

Stihl. You can't go wrong.

--
Art

Old 21-11-2006, 01:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Art" wrote in message
A. Pismo Clam wrote:
Hello All,

I've got about 100 dead avocado trees that are eyesores. I'm looking for
a 14" or 16" chain saw that can help me prune back the limbs.

If anyone can recommend the saw that they currently use or have used, I
would be most grateful for the help!

Alan

Stihl. You can't go wrong.

--
Art

Stihls really whine. If you go with them you had better wear ear
protection. The cheap McCollughs aren't nearly as loud.

Old 21-11-2006, 02:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"A. Pismo Clam" wrote in message
Hello All,

I've got about 100 dead avocado trees that are eyesores. I'm looking for a
14" or 16" chain saw that can help me prune back the limbs.

If anyone can recommend the saw that they currently use or have used, I
would be most grateful for the help!

Alan

I have been using my little Stihl 14 incher (it has '18' in the model
name...) for many years not without a problem. I cut through some big stuff
with it too, coming in from both sides. Just have a few blade chains so
that you have a couple sharp with the others are out getting sharpened
(unless you sharpen yourself, which will save some bucks).
Tomes

Old 24-11-2006, 05:03 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Chain Saw Recommendations - Sharpening

"ecarecar" wrote in message
et...
Tomes wrote:
"A. Pismo Clam" wrote in message
Hello All,
I've got about 100 dead avocado trees that are eyesores. I'm looking for
a 14" or 16" chain saw that can help me prune back the limbs.
If anyone can recommend the saw that they currently use or have used, I
would be most grateful for the help!
Alan

I have been using my little Stihl 14 incher (it has '18' in the model
name...) for many years not without a problem. I cut through some big
stuff with it too, coming in from both sides. Just have a few blade
chains so that you have a couple sharp with the others are out getting
sharpened (unless you sharpen yourself, which will save some bucks).
Tomes

What's good to sharpen a chain?
I have had the best results with just a round file.

They make a kit for this, although I have not had one. Maybe that could be
a Christmas present idea... The thing is that you want to get a few
dimensions right, not just move the arc back. I take mine in at $6 each.
Anyone wish to comment on self sharpening? Do you use a kit, is it easy,
how is it done?
Tomes

Old 24-11-2006, 03:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Tomes" wrote in message
ink.net...
"ecarecar" wrote in message
et...
Tomes wrote:
[...]

Evry one I know that uses a chain saw sharpens it themselves. The owners
manual should give instructions, or search the internet.

Old 24-11-2006, 09:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Tomes wrote:

They make a kit for this, although I have not had one. Maybe that could be
a Christmas present idea... The thing is that you want to get a few
dimensions right, not just move the arc back. I take mine in at $6 each.
Anyone wish to comment on self sharpening? Do you use a kit, is it easy,
how is it done?
Tomes

Sharpening with a round file is fine. You don't need a kit. Some tips -
push back on the file not down,
use the right size round file (most homeowner saws 18" and smaller
will use a 5/32", most pro saws will use 7/32"),
keep several chains and try to keep them all sharpened,
keep it sharp, don't wait for it to get dull,
At the point that a chain won't cut anymore it usually needs to be
sent to a shop where it they will use a chain grinder,

and the absolute most important tip is to NEVER let the chain hit the
dirt while cutting.

--
Art
Old 24-11-2006, 09:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Art wrote:
Tomes wrote:

[...]

and of course I left out the obvious which is to follow the existing
chain angles as closely as possible.

--
Art
Old 03-12-2006, 08:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Old 03-12-2006, 08:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Some good pointers..

Stihl's website has everything you need to cut wood..

Read the PDF's..

I have 2 stihl's a MS250C and KM110R.. Never had any problem..

I use the yellow "ripper" chain.. High kickback but will cut wood
like not other..

Must wear hearing protection!!! I use my shooting muffs work great!!

buy the FaceMask/Muffs combo.. Worth their wieght.. if you dont' trust
me then ask the guy who got a 1/2" chip in the cheek!!!

I use a round file for the chain.. Stihl chains has a "laser mark"
that shows you the angle to file.. File parallel to the mark.

I could not tell you how valuable a good chain saw is...

I have
MS250C 18" Bar
2 - Yellow Chains
File Kit
1 - Stock green chain..

I have not used the green chain since i bought the saw..

I have sharpened the chain after everytime I use and rotate chains for
wear..

Stihl has the "recommended" wear cycles.. IT'S WORTH IT!!
Old 24-11-2006, 01:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I have had good luck with Echo. There is some nice ones on eBay now.
Also I have had a sharpening service for over 30 yrs. It is OK to
sharpen with a round file 2 or 3 times then take it in and get the
angles right and the drags taken down to proper setting. The chain can't
cut if the teeth can't get to the wood. A sharp chain makes the saw and
the operator last longer. I also heat with wood and do my own cutting.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley