Old 20-11-2006, 04:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Chain Saw Recommendations

Hello All,

I've got about 100 dead avocado trees that are eyesores. I'm looking for
a 14" or 16" chain saw that can help me prune back the limbs.

If anyone can recommend the saw that they currently use or have used, I
would be most grateful for the help!

Alan

Old 21-11-2006, 12:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

A. Pismo Clam wrote:
Hello All,

I've got about 100 dead avocado trees that are eyesores. I'm looking for
a 14" or 16" chain saw that can help me prune back the limbs.

If anyone can recommend the saw that they currently use or have used, I
would be most grateful for the help!

Alan

Stihl. You can't go wrong.

--
Art
Old 21-11-2006, 01:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Art" wrote in message
A. Pismo Clam wrote:
Hello All,

I've got about 100 dead avocado trees that are eyesores. I'm looking for
a 14" or 16" chain saw that can help me prune back the limbs.

If anyone can recommend the saw that they currently use or have used, I
would be most grateful for the help!

Alan

Stihl. You can't go wrong.

--
Art

Stihls really whine. If you go with them you had better wear ear
protection. The cheap McCollughs aren't nearly as loud.

Old 21-11-2006, 02:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"A. Pismo Clam" wrote in message
Hello All,

I've got about 100 dead avocado trees that are eyesores. I'm looking for a
14" or 16" chain saw that can help me prune back the limbs.

If anyone can recommend the saw that they currently use or have used, I
would be most grateful for the help!

Alan

I have been using my little Stihl 14 incher (it has '18' in the model
name...) for many years not without a problem. I cut through some big stuff
with it too, coming in from both sides. Just have a few blade chains so
that you have a couple sharp with the others are out getting sharpened
(unless you sharpen yourself, which will save some bucks).
Tomes

Old 21-11-2006, 03:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

JB wrote:

I've used the same 18" Shindaiwa chainsaw for more than 15 years now and it
runs just great. I'd buy another if I ever needed one.

the Shindaiwa is a fine product.

Old 24-11-2006, 05:03 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Chain Saw Recommendations - Sharpening

"ecarecar" wrote in message
et...
Tomes wrote:
"A. Pismo Clam" wrote in message
Hello All,
I've got about 100 dead avocado trees that are eyesores. I'm looking for
a 14" or 16" chain saw that can help me prune back the limbs.
If anyone can recommend the saw that they currently use or have used, I
would be most grateful for the help!
Alan

I have been using my little Stihl 14 incher (it has '18' in the model
name...) for many years not without a problem. I cut through some big
stuff with it too, coming in from both sides. Just have a few blade
chains so that you have a couple sharp with the others are out getting
sharpened (unless you sharpen yourself, which will save some bucks).
Tomes

What's good to sharpen a chain?
I have had the best results with just a round file.

They make a kit for this, although I have not had one. Maybe that could be
a Christmas present idea... The thing is that you want to get a few
dimensions right, not just move the arc back. I take mine in at $6 each.
Anyone wish to comment on self sharpening? Do you use a kit, is it easy,
how is it done?
Tomes

Old 24-11-2006, 01:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I have had good luck with Echo. There is some nice ones on eBay now.
Also I have had a sharpening service for over 30 yrs. It is OK to
sharpen with a round file 2 or 3 times then take it in and get the
angles right and the drags taken down to proper setting. The chain can't
cut if the teeth can't get to the wood. A sharp chain makes the saw and
the operator last longer. I also heat with wood and do my own cutting.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 24-11-2006, 03:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Tomes" wrote in message
ink.net...
"ecarecar" wrote in message
et...
Tomes wrote:
[...]

Evry one I know that uses a chain saw sharpens it themselves. The owners
manual should give instructions, or search the internet.

Old 24-11-2006, 09:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Tomes wrote:

They make a kit for this, although I have not had one. Maybe that could be
a Christmas present idea... The thing is that you want to get a few
dimensions right, not just move the arc back. I take mine in at $6 each.
Anyone wish to comment on self sharpening? Do you use a kit, is it easy,
how is it done?
Tomes

Sharpening with a round file is fine. You don't need a kit. Some tips -
push back on the file not down,
use the right size round file (most homeowner saws 18" and smaller
will use a 5/32", most pro saws will use 7/32"),
keep several chains and try to keep them all sharpened,
keep it sharp, don't wait for it to get dull,
At the point that a chain won't cut anymore it usually needs to be
sent to a shop where it they will use a chain grinder,

and the absolute most important tip is to NEVER let the chain hit the
dirt while cutting.

--
Art
Old 24-11-2006, 09:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Art wrote:
Tomes wrote:

[...]

and of course I left out the obvious which is to follow the existing
chain angles as closely as possible.

--
Art
Old 25-11-2006, 11:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Art wrote:

Art wrote:
Tomes wrote:

[...]

I was glad to see you follow-up with
that last addition of critical information.

http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/manual_maint.htm
http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/ms_manual/ms_02.pdf
http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/ms_manual/ms_04.pdf

yep, it's a whole lot more than most would ever want to know.
oregon chains are ok and oregon has the technology correct on
these web pages.

for the best possible chain the word is STIHL!
Old 03-12-2006, 08:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden