Old 10-12-2006, 02:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Seeding in cold weather

it was suggested to me to plant some annual rye around the lot where
damage was sustained due to work on one of the outbuildings and to resed
with fescue when warm weather returns.
It gets into the fifties and rains some about every ten to 14 days.
Will the rye really germinate in this environment?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"john" wrote in message
it was suggested to me to plant some annual rye around the lot where
damage was sustained due to work on one of the outbuildings and to resed
with fescue when warm weather returns.
It gets into the fifties and rains some about every ten to 14 days.
Will the rye really germinate in this environment?

Certainly - but the "annual rye" I planted a few years ago was hard to get
rid of the next year. Didn't act the way I thought "annual" would.
I'm thinking I would go with regular grass seed right now. It's a lot
colder here but I went with a $20 bag from Walmart when it was down around
50's here and it's doing well.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"john" wrote in message
it was suggested to me to plant some annual rye around the lot where
damage was sustained due to work on one of the outbuildings and to resed
with fescue when warm weather returns.
It gets into the fifties and rains some about every ten to 14 days.
Will the rye really germinate in this environment?

Certainly - but the "annual rye" I planted a few years ago was hard to get
rid of the next year. Didn't act the way I thought "annual" would.
I'm thinking I would go with regular grass seed right now. It's a lot
colder here but I went with a $20 bag from Walmart when it was down around
50's here and it's doing well.

thanks
Merry Christmas to all!
Old 11-12-2006, 01:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

john wrote:
Srgnt Billko wrote:
"john" wrote in message
it was suggested to me to plant some annual rye around the lot where
damage was sustained due to work on one of the outbuildings and to resed
with fescue when warm weather returns.
It gets into the fifties and rains some about every ten to 14 days.
Will the rye really germinate in this environment?

Certainly - but the "annual rye" I planted a few years ago was hard to get
rid of the next year. Didn't act the way I thought "annual" would.
I'm thinking I would go with regular grass seed right now. It's a lot
colder here but I went with a $20 bag from Walmart when it was down around
50's here and it's doing well.

thanks
Merry Christmas to all!

Be aware that it's not just if it's currently in the 50's that matters.
It's also the prior temp history. Which is to say, seeding when it
was getting into the 50's in early Nov is different than seeding in mid
Dec when it's getting into the 50's occasionally. The essential
difference is that with colder weather and shorter days, the soil temp
has cooled off. So, on a day when it's 50 now, the soil is likely
considerably colder than it was during a day in the 50's in say early
Nov. Seed needs soil temps in the 50's to gereminate. So, how
successful you'll be depends on the actual climate where you are.