Old 24-02-2007, 08:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,nf.gardening,rec.gardening

Default acorn management

Our oak tree is now ~16" diameter, 70 ft tall, and has a drip line of ~
40ft. It is also producing an enornmous amount of acorns. Any ideas on how
to control / dispose of them short of cutting down the tree?
TIA
Old 24-02-2007, 11:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,nf.gardening,rec.gardening

"lucky4fingers" wrote in message
84...
Our oak tree is now ~16" diameter, 70 ft tall, and has a drip line of ~
40ft. It is also producing an enornmous amount of acorns. Any ideas on how
to control / dispose of them short of cutting down the tree?
TIA

Turkeys and squirrels usually clean up acorns. 'Course they bring other
issues with them.
Maybe a lawn mower with bagging attachment will clean them up. I've got a
Pin oak much larger than yours and acorns aren't a problem.

Old 25-02-2007, 01:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"lucky4fingers" wrote in message
84...
Our oak tree is now ~16" diameter, 70 ft tall, and has a drip line of ~
40ft. It is also producing an enornmous amount of acorns. Any ideas on
how
to control / dispose of them short of cutting down the tree?
TIA

Turkeys and squirrels usually clean up acorns. 'Course they bring other
issues with them.
Maybe a lawn mower with bagging attachment will clean them up. I've got a
Pin oak much larger than yours and acorns aren't a problem.

You can't do much about the acorn production. Since it's a tree-shaded
area, if you don't need the area for sports or some other intensive use, why
not redo the area under the tree with a different ground cover than sod --
perhaps something like ivy or ferns-- and the acorns will be hidden under
the ground cover -- plus you'll almost never have to mow or give it any
other care. Another option would be to turn the entire area under the tree
into a mulched garden, perhaps filled with azaleas and/or camellias,
depending upon your location. Regards --

Old 25-02-2007, 01:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,nf.gardening

[flups to a.h.l.g.]

lucky4fingers said:

Our oak tree is now ~16" diameter, 70 ft tall, and has a drip line of ~
40ft. It is also producing an enornmous amount of acorns. Any ideas on how
to control / dispose of them short of cutting down the tree?
TIA

Oaks have a tendency to drop inordinate amounts of acorns when they're
stressed, as a way to ensure their "survival". If the tree is capable of
reaching a house or other valuable structure/item, should it fall, I would
ask an arborist to check it to make sure it has no underlying problems that
can/can't be corrected. Sometimes by the time visible symptoms begin to
show, it's too late to save the tree.

It could also be nothing at all. 'Oak tree' is quite generic (specific
species is helpful, but with oaks can be tricky), and '70 ft' is quite
common, among oaks. There's room for a heckuva lot of acorns on a 70' tree.
If it's dropping considerably more than it has in the past few years, an
your weather has been fairly constant, I'd have it looked at. Just my $.02

--

Eggs

-I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.
Old 26-02-2007, 04:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"JimR" wrote ...
"Chas Hurst" wrote ...
"lucky4fingers" wrote ...
Our oak tree is now ~16" diameter, 70 ft tall, and has a drip line of
~
40ft. It is also producing an enornmous amount of acorns. Any ideas on
how
to control / dispose of them short of cutting down the tree?
TIA

You can't do much about the acorn production. Since it's a tree-shaded
area, if you don't need the area for sports or some other intensive use,
why not redo the area under the tree with a different ground cover than
sod -- perhaps something like ivy or ferns-- and the acorns will be
hidden under the ground cover -- plus you'll almost never have to mow or
give it any other care. Another option would be to turn the entire area
under the tree into a mulched garden, perhaps filled with azaleas and/or
camellias, depending upon your location. Regards --

I like this thought best. If you need to pull stuff up to remake the
area, be careful not to muck up the roots. Find out about them first from
someone who knows.
Tomes