Old 13-04-2007, 12:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Walbro Carb Flooding Problem

Hello:

I have a Toro Lawn Tractor with a 16 HP B&S engine - which has a
Walbro carburetor with shutoff solenoid. While in use the engine
suddenly quit, then pumped put lots of white smoke
when trying to restart. It cranked fast, as though it had no
compression. I waited until it was
cold and tried again - and it wouldn't turn over. I thought it had
siezed, but not so - the cylinder and crankcase were full of gas!
After draining it out I removed the valve cover and turned the engine
over with a socket wrench. To my surprise, all seems OK - it has
compression, and the valves work as expected.

So it would appear that this event was caused by the carb. I took the
float bowl off and found a couple of specks of crud - but it was
basically very clean. cleaned the bowl and float with fresh gas and
put it back together - then attached the fuel line, put gas in the
tank, and held it below the tank level (It is a gravity feed system).
No leaks. I'll find out tomorrow if it will run (after adding new
oil).

Anybody have comments on what is going on here?

Dave Johnson