Old 19-06-2007, 09:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default My White Dawn Rose looks horrible

I've always had great big long lasting blooms on my White Dawn Rose.
This year, the top leaves are brown/yellow, and the blooms seem to be
rotting before they open.

Good soil, careful watering, no bugs or creatures I can see.

Anybody have an idea what's happening?
Will I loose the bush?

Please and Thank you.

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://76.16.160.118:8080
weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

Old 20-06-2007, 03:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:23:45 -0500, FireBrick wrote:

I've always had great big long lasting blooms on my White Dawn Rose.
This year, the top leaves are brown/yellow, and the blooms seem to be
rotting before they open.
Good soil, careful watering, no bugs or creatures I can see.
Anybody have an idea what's happening?
Will I loose the bush?
Please and Thank you.

Good day Firebrick,
With out seeing a photo of the rose, it sounds very much like Botrytis.
Look here and see if it looks like your rose.

http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/scripts...c ategoryID=1

Good luck,
Timothy

Old 21-06-2007, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I hope these help as my web search of Botrytis didn't look so much like what
I see.
http://www.qsl.net/w9ol/rose1.jpg
http://www.qsl.net/w9ol/rose2.jpg
http://www.qsl.net/w9ol/rose3.jpg

rose 2 really shows the yellow/browning of leaves.
rose 3 shows how they look rotten even before they bloom.

This bush has bloomed every year, with a major blooming and then lesser
blooms through the summer for a decade.

And it was a gift from a friend since deceased so I'd really like to save
it.

"timothy" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:23:45 -0500, FireBrick wrote:

I've always had great big long lasting blooms on my White Dawn Rose.
This year, the top leaves are brown/yellow, and the blooms seem to be
rotting before they open.
Good soil, careful watering, no bugs or creatures I can see.
Anybody have an idea what's happening?
Will I loose the bush?
Please and Thank you.

Good day Firebrick,
With out seeing a photo of the rose, it sounds very much like Botrytis.
Look here and see if it looks like your rose.

http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/scripts...c ategoryID=1

Good luck,
Timothy

White Rose - white-rose.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 0 07-05-2007 10:20 PM
to Heidi the Horrible raizn4kids Lawns 0 09-04-2005 03:53 AM
Horrible string algae Sean Dinh Ponds 11 20-03-2004 03:48 AM
I am a horrible person- no water, etc. Kevin Orchids 2 03-12-2003 06:02 PM
Please ID this horrible plant CNB Lawns 2 17-05-2003 01:20 PM