Old 24-06-2007, 10:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Default Clover % in lawns

I found a interesting snippet about clover %s in pasture last night. The
source is organic pastoral farming however many of the things discussed have
excellent transferability to lawns. The particular discussion was about
building herbal lays.

"The first consideration is to rebuild the humus in our soils to supply
carbon. The most important plant to get into your pasture mix is white
clover. This is the powerhouse plant for biologically based pastures.
Fortunately most farmer pastures do have clover, often in conjunction with
ryegrass, but usually not in high enough density being around 20% of the
sward. To optimise productivity clover content needs to be a minimum of 30%
of the sward, aiming for 50%."
http://www.biodynamic.org.nz/guides/ch3env_app.pdf (page 119 in this guide)
http://www.biodynamic.org.nz/guides/intro_ch1.pdf (an accompanying guide,
very very interesting)

I have a good covering of clover in my lawn. It has developed since I
stopped using broad leaf sprays and cut back on nitrogen heavy fertilisers.
The clover supplies much of my nitorgen needs now. It has packed quite
densely in some areas but seems to complement the grasses nicely giving a
decent effect on the lawn. Cut out the sprays & the chemical fertilisers &
your lawn can look quite quite nice I have discovered.

rob

Old 24-06-2007, 10:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message
[...]

Yesterday, I spent a few hours widening a flower bed that had shrunk due to
lawn encroachment and lack of time to keep up with it. The chunks I was
removing were about 50% clover. The soil underneath was the kind gardeners
dream of. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who complains about clover is....

....never mind. Too early for thinking about twits. :-)

Old 24-06-2007, 11:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

On 6/24/07 5:55 AM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"George.com" wrote in message
[...]

I actually leave "clover weeds" alone in the garden while weeding. I'll go
out later and transplant it into the lawn - when I know the rains are
coming.
Cheryl

Old 25-06-2007, 05:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:55:21 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Yesterday, I spent a few hours widening a flower bed that had shrunk due to
lawn encroachment and lack of time to keep up with it. The chunks I was
removing were about 50% clover. The soil underneath was the kind gardeners
dream of. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who complains about clover is....

...never mind. Too early for thinking about twits. :-)

Besides the nitrogen effects on the surrounding lawn, it is a great food
plant for bees, butterflies and others. If you like clover.... then you'll
love adding thyme to your lawn. Smell great while you mow.

Old 26-06-2007, 02:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

A minor disadvantage of clover is that it drags a scythe into the
dirt, if you mow with a scythe. On the other hand you get a very
satisfying pile of leaflike cuttings from the stroke, so it's a
tradeoff.

--
Ron Hardin