Old 25-06-2007, 11:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default thinking of buying this lawn tractor any opinions ?

This is the one I'm leaning towards ( I like the color)
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...BVCookie =Yes

the kid at Sears was trying to be helpful but he looked like he was 16 and I
doubt he ever rode a lawn tractor never mind owned one.

Consumer reports gave this one a best buy at $1649.00, guess it was on sale.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...BVCookie =Yes

CR also liked a John Deer for the same price and same options as the first
mower

I think I want to stay away from splash lubrication (but my old Toro is
still kicking after 15 years and it has splash)

And I'm not sure about a V twin engine on a mower, any thoughts ?

I can picture myself driving around on one of these with a sharp shovel
trying to kill those moles !

Clark

Old 26-06-2007, 04:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

My Sears tractor is 20 years old. I've put a lot of work into keeping
it running. Sears no longer makes repair parts available. When I
bought the tractor they said parts would be available forever. Now,
the limit is one year. Check parts availability and get the contract
in writing!

Old 26-06-2007, 09:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I think Craftsman quality has gone to pot. If you want a cheap one go to
the local farm store. You will get it cheaper and still have a hard time
finding parts.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 26-06-2007, 09:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Clark" wrote in message
This is the one I'm leaning towards ( I like the color)
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...BVCookie =Yes

the kid at Sears was trying to be helpful but he looked like he was 16 and
I doubt he ever rode a lawn tractor never mind owned one.

Consumer reports gave this one a best buy at $1649.00, guess it was on
sale.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...BVCookie =Yes

CR also liked a John Deer for the same price and same options as the first
mower

I think I want to stay away from splash lubrication (but my old Toro is
still kicking after 15 years and it has splash)

And I'm not sure about a V twin engine on a mower, any thoughts ?

I can picture myself driving around on one of these with a sharp shovel
trying to kill those moles !

Clark

Get a 30 to 40 yo Wheelhorse, JD, Cub Cadet or Sears for a couple hundred
and spend a thousand fixing it up - you can paint it any color you like.
You'll save a couple hundred and have a heavier duty machine that will
attract a lot of attention.

Old 27-06-2007, 01:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Thanks for the replies, looks like nobody likes the new stuff.

and hey I like the old Toro but the poor thing is just wearing down, you
shoulda seen the guy at Sears when I told him it only had 8hp!

we all know it is not just the hp but the tranny and the gear reduction etc
that makes the unit work well, but....

I'll finish with this:
My father told me not to spend $1750.00 on one lawn tractor but to spend
$899.00 ea. on two lawn tractors.

guess I'll keep thinking (another sleepless night)

Clark

Old 27-06-2007, 09:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Clark" wrote:
Thanks for the replies, looks like nobody likes the new stuff.

and hey I like the old Toro but the poor thing is just wearing down, you
shoulda seen the guy at Sears when I told him it only had 8hp!

we all know it is not just the hp but the tranny and the gear reduction
etc that makes the unit work well, but....

I'll finish with this:
My father told me not to spend $1750.00 on one lawn tractor but to spend
$899.00 ea. on two lawn tractors.

guess I'll keep thinking (another sleepless night)

Clark

There's something to say about disposable power equipment these days. He
might be right.

--
http://newsreader.com/
Old 29-06-2007, 01:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Clark wrote:
Thanks for the replies, looks like nobody likes the new stuff.

and hey I like the old Toro but the poor thing is just wearing down, you
shoulda seen the guy at Sears when I told him it only had 8hp!

we all know it is not just the hp but the tranny and the gear reduction etc
that makes the unit work well, but....

I'll finish with this:
My father told me not to spend $1750.00 on one lawn tractor but to spend
$899.00 ea. on two lawn tractors.

Maybe a beat up old VW, WWII Mescherschmidt, Izeta or the like would do.
The price would be about the same and parts (at least for VW) are
available :-)
Old 29-06-2007, 11:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Stubby wrote:
Maybe a beat up old VW

Without an oil change.

--
http://newsreader.com/
Old 30-06-2007, 12:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Before I found a great deal on a used Deere, I was looking hard at the
Craftsman mowers. The feature set I defined was a Kohler engine, 4 deck
wheels, cast axles, and a deck between 38 and 42".

I called Briggs & Stratton's tech support line to ask about the Intek
engines. If I recall correctly, the lube system only filtered and
pressurized the oil going to the bearing at the output shaft. This was a
disappointment to me, because the marketing literature might lead you to
believe that it was a full filter/lube oil system.

To answer your question, unless your current mower is dead, why not wait
until end of season close outs and get the same mower for several hundred
dollars or get one with a Kohler engine for roughly the price on the one
with the Briggs Intek engine?

KB

Old 30-06-2007, 06:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..
Before I found a great deal on a used Deere, I was looking hard at the
Craftsman mowers. The feature set I defined was a Kohler engine, 4 deck
wheels, cast axles, and a deck between 38 and 42".

I called Briggs & Stratton's tech support line to ask about the Intek
engines. If I recall correctly, the lube system only filtered and
pressurized the oil going to the bearing at the output shaft. This was a
disappointment to me, because the marketing literature might lead you to
believe that it was a full filter/lube oil system.

To answer your question, unless your current mower is dead, why not wait
until end of season close outs and get the same mower for several hundred
dollars or get one with a Kohler engine for roughly the price on the one
with the Briggs Intek engine?

KB

I bought a Craftsman mower and paid the xtra bucks for a Kohler engine.
After 2 years it developed an oil leak and a noisy hydraulic tappet.
I took the engine apart myself to find a warped cover on the oil pump that
leaked oil and allowed air into the lube system causing the noisey tappet.
Forget a Kohler engine in a Craftsman mower. It's a cheap mower, get a cheap
engine.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[...]

My mower is not dead yet, but has starter issues, at least it's in a
location that's easy to tap at it.
The other issue is 1.8 acres and a 32" cut on my old Toro and a 42" lawn
sweeper to tow.
And a far as a Briggs engine the engine in the Toro is a Briggs (an abused
Briggs) and except the starter, never gave me a problem.
So I don't know what to think of that.

thanks for the reply

Clark

Old 01-07-2007, 04:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Depending on which Craftsman mower you buy, it may be built on the same
production line as a nearly identical Husqvarna mower, and Husqvarna makes
good products.

A leaky cover in your Kohler engine is one of *those things* that do happen.
However, one instance doesn't invalidate the overall concept that a Kohler
engine is better than a Briggs engine. Bigger bearings, full
pressure/filtered lubrication, etc. That doesn't mean that people don't get
10 and 20 years out of Briggs engines, but in general, a Kohler will be a
longer lasting, more robust engine.

My Deere has a Kawasaki engine, so I don't have a dog in this fight...

KB

Old 01-07-2007, 07:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..
Depending on which Craftsman mower you buy, it may be built on the same
production line as a nearly identical Husqvarna mower, and Husqvarna makes
good products.

A leaky cover in your Kohler engine is one of *those things* that do

happen.
However, one instance doesn't invalidate the overall concept that a Kohler
engine is better than a Briggs engine. Bigger bearings, full
pressure/filtered lubrication, etc. That doesn't mean that people don't

get
10 and 20 years out of Briggs engines, but in general, a Kohler will be a
longer lasting, more robust engine.

My Deere has a Kawasaki engine, so I don't have a dog in this fight...

KB

Humm. Looks like I went for the wrong tractor. Just ordered a Toro with a
B&S. Was offered a Husqvarna with a Kohler or Kawasaki V twin for less. Oh
bother :-)

I went for the Toro because I'd heard the mower was more robust than the
Husqvarna or Deer. It's also got a quick change between collect an mulch.