Old 10-09-2007, 08:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Nutsedge Grass

How do I get rid of Nutgrass from my lawn. I have enough of it where it will
take too long to pull by hand. I would like to seed this week so please keep
this in mind I live in NJ. Thanks

Old 10-09-2007, 09:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter Pan said:

How do I get rid of Nutgrass from my lawn. I have enough of it where it will
take too long to pull by hand. I would like to seed this week so please keep
this in mind I live in NJ. Thanks

Cyperus esculentus L. is *not* a grass, it's a sedge. To kill it, use
Sedgehammer.

--

Eggs

-There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Peter Pan" wrote:
How do I get rid of Nutgrass from my lawn. I have enough of it where it
will take too long to pull by hand. I would like to seed this week so
please keep this in mind I live in NJ. Thanks

There's nothing much available that doesn't suggest delaying seeding. (four
weeks for sedgehammer) If it's -all- nutsedge you could hit it with roundup
(non-selective) and seed right away.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 10, 6:54 pm, Steveo wrote:
"Peter Pan" wrote:
How do I get rid of Nutgrass from my lawn. I have enough of it where it
will take too long to pull by hand. I would like to seed this week so
please keep this in mind I live in NJ. Thanks

There's nothing much available that doesn't suggest delaying seeding. (four
weeks for sedgehammer) If it's -all- nutsedge you could hit it with roundup
(non-selective) and seed right away.

Yep, agree with Eggs and Steveo. Also, the best time to hit nutsedge
with anything is when it's actively growing. And that's during hot
periods with lots of water. Now it should be diminishing naturally,
rendering anything you use on to it less effective. So, I'd just do
the seeding now, and then deal with the nutsedge next summer. The
selective herbicides are very effective.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Thanks for all the info, I've been doing some reading and correct me if I am
wrong, but this is basically a weed that comes back every year unless you
treat for it.
If I put down a pre emergent in the spring for crab grass, will this prevent
it from coming back or do i need a specific product? The Sedgehammer is
unavailable in NJ where I'm from (according to their web site). What other
product will work like the sedgehammer?

Thanks again

Old 12-09-2007, 12:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter Pan said:

Thanks for all the info, I've been doing some reading and correct me if I am
wrong, but this is basically a weed that comes back every year unless you
treat for it.

Yes, it's a perennial.

If I put down a pre emergent in the spring for crab grass, will this prevent
it from coming back

No. The pre-emergent stops seed germination. The nutsedge, while it
produces seed if left to mature, will return from small tubers at the ends
of the rhyzomes.

or do i need a specific product? The Sedgehammer is
unavailable in NJ where I'm from (according to their web site). What other
product will work like the sedgehammer?

Sedgehammer is available in all 50 states, last I knew. You must have read
something wrong. There's a website dedicated to nutsedge, that also sells
Manage (Sedgehammer). You could order it from there [1]. Keep in mind that
it does take several applications. Nutsedge is one of the most difficult
weeds to control. As trader said, it's probably best to go ahead and seed
as you planned, then deal with the sedge next summer.

--

Eggs

Do cemetery workers prefer the graveyard shift?
Old 12-09-2007, 12:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[superceded 'cause I forgot to add the footnote]

[1] http://www.nutsedge.com/index.html