Old 15-09-2007, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Thistle weed

Any good ideas on how to control thistle ? We have sprayed in the past but
it is very tough and needs a very strong mixture - and we would rather avoid
poisons if we can. . We are now digging plants up as we find them. I've
seen propane torches with long nozzles advertised and I'm tempted to spend
the money.

Old 15-09-2007, 10:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko said:

Any good ideas on how to control thistle ? We have sprayed in the past but
it is very tough and needs a very strong mixture - and we would rather avoid
poisons if we can. . We are now digging plants up as we find them.

That's what I do.

I've seen propane torches with long nozzles advertised and I'm tempted to
spend the money.

I torch weeds in cracks between pavers. All you have to do is wilt them.
They die rather quickly, after that. No need to burn them to a crisp.
Besides, we don't need an "I burned the farm down, and all that was left
was a 10" stick." type of thread.

--

Eggs

-Buy one for the price of two and get the second one free!
Old 15-09-2007, 10:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko said:

Any good ideas on how to control thistle ? We have sprayed in the past
but
it is very tough and needs a very strong mixture - and we would rather
avoid
poisons if we can. . We are now digging plants up as we find them.

That's what I do.

I've seen propane torches with long nozzles advertised and I'm tempted to
spend the money.

I torch weeds in cracks between pavers. All you have to do is wilt them.
They die rather quickly, after that. No need to burn them to a crisp.
Besides, we don't need an "I burned the farm down, and all that was left
was a 10" stick." type of thread.

Eggs

Funny - good for a hearty chuckle.

Old 16-09-2007, 12:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
Any good ideas on how to control thistle ? We have sprayed in the past
but it is very tough and needs a very strong mixture - and we would
rather avoid poisons if we can.

What did you spray the thistle with, besides something that is poisonous to
thistle?

Old 16-09-2007, 03:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
Any good ideas on how to control thistle ? We have sprayed in the past
but it is very tough and needs a very strong mixture - and we would
rather avoid poisons if we can.

What did you spray the thistle with, besides something that is poisonous
thistle?

No - we did use Round-up a few years ago but would rather not use it again.

Old 16-09-2007, 03:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
Any good ideas on how to control thistle ? We have sprayed in the
past but it is very tough and needs a very strong mixture - and we
would rather avoid poisons if we can.

What did you spray the thistle with, besides something that is
poisonous to
thistle?

No - we did use Round-up a few years ago but would rather not use it
again.

So you're looking for an alternative to physically pulling the thistle out
of the dirt that, is not a chemical control?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 18-09-2007, 01:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

On Sep 15, 1:44 pm, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
Any good ideas on how to control thistle ? We have sprayed in the past but
it is very tough and needs a very strong mixture - and we would rather avoid
poisons if we can. . We are now digging plants up as we find them. I've
seen propane torches with long nozzles advertised and I'm tempted to spend
the money.

Ride through the Dakota badlands and you'll see that thistle is a cash
crop for many farmers. Thousands of acres of it. Harvested for bird
seed. What is one man's weed is another man's livelyhood.

Bob

can thistle be a 3X summer crop?? Cirsium arvense Thistle seed to solve Global Warming [email protected] Plant Science 0 13-07-2006 08:46 PM
I have a prickly thistle stuck up my bottom! Ian Pallfreeman United Kingdom 0 08-12-2004 02:21 PM
Canada thistle EBG Gardening 5 05-05-2004 07:02 AM
seasonal borders/10ft thistle! Niall Smyth United Kingdom 3 20-09-2003 09:03 PM
Echinops (Globe Thistle) Mark B United Kingdom 4 07-09-2003 07:32 PM