Old 31-10-2007, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Default I never saw a rose with leaves like that before

On Oct 30, 4:28 pm, Hettie® wrote:
Jim wrote:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

about 3 years ago a friend gave us a dead looking stick and
told us if we planted the stick in the ground and watered it
once a day for two weeks we'd get a Confederate Rose bush.

I decided to play along thinking there would be some great
future laughs concerning how I was tricked into planting a
dead looking stick.

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

well, the friend was not playing a joke. now I get to enjoy
taking cuttings from this bush and telling other friends how
if you plant this dead looking stick in the ground you'll get
a Confederate Rose bush.

been kind of neat watching this bush being propagated into
the yards of friends.

That "rose" has palmate leaves which I have never seen on a rose before.
Usually they are compound. The blooms and buds sure look like roses.

Does anyone know its botanical name or another common name for it? I
doubt it would be cold hardy in my zone. I would like to see if there
is anything like it on helpmefind.com.

The only other rose I saw with very unusual leaves was what some thought
might be an alba; instead of the usual five of 7 leaflets on one stem,
it had several more pairs than that.

I have just learned that roses may root from "sticks" if you put them in
the ground when they are dormant. So when you say "stick", I assume
that there are no leaves and that it was dormant when you put it in the
ground. It must root easily; sometimes it helps to use rooting powder,
but I guess them thar Confederate roses root like Forsythia.

You are correct. it isn't a rose at all, but is in the mallow family.
It is Hibiscus mutabilis.

Emilie

Old 31-10-2007, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

Hettie® wrote:

Jim wrote:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

[....]

[...]

http://www.ask.com/web?q=Growing+Con...rc=6&o=0&l=dir

the above URL points to the search results provided by ask.com

I hope you find the information useful and informative.
Old 31-10-2007, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Hettie® said (on or about) 10/30/2007 19:28:

Jim wrote:
[...]

Looks like okra leaves. Hibiscus?

--
More people vote for their favorite singers on
American Idol type shows than for their elected
Old 31-10-2007, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Jim wrote:
[...]

I'm sure I;ve seen this in Red growing on roadside in Mid Tennessee.

Old 31-10-2007, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Default Thanks, All!

Jim wrote:

http://www.ask.com/web?q=Growing+Con...rc=6&o=0&l=dir

the above URL points to the search results provided by ask.com

I hope you find the information useful and informative.

Two links took me to Dave's Garden and several other interesting
articles which were indeed informative. Lovely thing. Hibiscus mutabilis.

Each person in their own way contributed to solving that mystery, and
Confederate Rose was not incorrect either. Alas, only grows in zones 7
to 11, wouldn't want to try it as an annual although if seeds started
early enough, would bloom the first year.

If and when I have the time, may try to grow one as a potted plant and
bring it in for the winter. It is a pretty thing.

Thanks for all the good comments and links.

Old 31-10-2007, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Default Oops, forgot to switch ID

Hard to remember. Sorry about that.

Thanks again for the responses.

Old 31-10-2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

that rose is a Hibiscus.
Jackie
Charles wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:28:16 -0500, Hettie®
wrote:

Jim wrote:
[...]

Not really a rose, read more he
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/714/

Old 31-10-2007, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Jim wrote:

now onto resolving the next mystery.

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t.../wildrose.html

I call these wild roses. they were growing along side the
highway and every year just as they were about to bloom the
hwy maintenance people who were watching via their secret
satellite would send a crew out to mow them down. I got
tired of that so I dug some of them up and moved them to
several different locations here on the Farm. there are
white ones, pink ones and red ones. the URL exhibits a
pink one utilizing the chain link of the dog pen as a
means to climb.

I call them wild roses but have no idea what they'd be
called by one who is schooled properly in the science
of horticulture.

I'm no rose expert by any means, but those are roses, and beautiful ones
at that. You may have saved an heirloom rose that escaped from an old
garden. It could be "wild", but it looks cultivated at one time, and
the truly wild ones I'm familiar with that at least used to grow (they
spray now so much) in the ditches in northern Illinois are not double
like that and don't climb.

There is a rose ID forum at gardenweb.com. It is a free site, you have
to pay at Dave's Garden, but a lot of the latter's info is available to
a non-subscriber, as we saw with your hibiscus.

Maybe you could try at gardenweb with your photos, their
popup/down/whatever ads will drive you nuts, but the site is worth it.
I guess you need a browser like Firefox with some add-ons to stop them cold.

Anyway, their hit ratio with positive id's isn't so great, but there are
many more rosarians there than here, and some are truly expert. So
many, many roses look so similar, and they even vary from grower to
grower of supposedly the same exact rose.

Anyway, ya done a good thing to save that beautiful rose. Actually, you
saved several different kinds there. And it didn't die from transplant
shock, looks like it is happy there. I'm trying to save old roses, too,
but I haven't dug any out of ditches yet, and you have to be careful if
it is somebody's property to get permission, guess I don't have to tell
you that. I'm going the cutting route to try to propagate more of what
I see I think is worth saving or get more of them spread around
eventually in case they die out or some property owner doesn't want them
and digs them out and throws them on the trash heap.

Right now I'm very anxious about some cuttings I'm trying to root under
lights I set up of a rose the exact same color as your photo looks, but
the bloom is different, double though. Is yours a once-bloomer or a
repeater or do you know yet?

Jim
in central NC

Old 31-10-2007, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

TOTB wrote:

Jim wrote:

http://www.ask.com/web?q=Growing+Con...rc=6&o=0&l=dir

the above URL points to the search results provided by ask.com

I hope you find the information useful and informative.

Two links took me to Dave's Garden and several other interesting
articles which were indeed informative. Lovely thing. Hibiscus mutabilis.

Each person in their own way contributed to solving that mystery, and
Confederate Rose was not incorrect either. Alas, only grows in zones 7
to 11, wouldn't want to try it as an annual although if seeds started
early enough, would bloom the first year.

If and when I have the time, may try to grow one as a potted plant and
bring it in for the winter. It is a pretty thing.

Thanks for all the good comments and links.

you are most welcome.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Hettie® said:

Jim wrote:

[...]

DG has the largest, online, plant database. The ID forum is second to none.
And, what's wrong with $25US per year? There's so much more to that site,
that non-subscribers don't see. Anyone serious about knowing their plant's
identification and growing information would surely find it a sound
investment.

Maybe you could try at gardenweb with your photos, their
popup/down/whatever ads will drive you nuts, but the site is worth it.
I guess you need a browser like Firefox with some add-ons to stop them cold.

I use Firefox, and won't go anywhere near that popup-hell. Besides, a lot
of gardenweb members also post at DG. IMO, the quality of information found
at DG FAR outweighs the quality of information at gardenweb.

Anyway, their hit ratio with positive id's isn't so great, but there are
many more rosarians there than here, and some are truly expert. So
many, many roses look so similar, and they even vary from grower to
grower of supposedly the same exact rose.

I've seen VERY few identification requests at DG go unsolved. Usually, they
are the rarest of the rare plants that don't get identified, there.

[rest snipped]

Jim, I've no idea what your rose is, sorry. I detest roses. =)

--

Eggs

A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of
marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.