Old 09-12-2007, 07:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Going green...

My county extension office has recommended (based on a soil sample) a
15-0-15 for my St. Augustine lawn, and given me a list of organic soil
amendments (bloodmeal, bonemeal, etc). How do I know how much of each to
buy/ mix? Here’s what I’ve got:

Amendment Affect on pH Major Nutrient supplied

Bloodmeal Acid 12% Nitrogen
Bonemeal Alkaline 22%Phosphorous
Fishmeal Acid 10% Nitrogen
Wood Ashes Alkaline 4-10% Potassium
Peat Acid 1-3% Nitrogen
Mushroom Compost Acid 2% Nitrogen
Seaweed - 4 -10% Potassium
Biosolids (Milorganite) - 5% Nitrogen

My numbers:
pH was 5.7 (target 6.5)
phosphorus 15 ppm
potassium 37 ppm
magnesium 69 ppm
calcium 675 ppm

You may surmise (correctly) that I haven’t got a clue. Thanks in advance
for any help!!!!

Old 19-12-2007, 04:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Dec 17, 10:06 am, Shanghai McCoy wrote:
Shanghai McCoy wrote:
[...]

Bump- Hide quoted text -

The compounds listed are good for organic gardens, but for lawns just
buy 15-0-15 fertilizer. You can lime now to correct the pH, but wait
until late spring to fertilize St. Augustine. Your Extension agent
should have provided application rates with your soil report.

KC
Old 19-12-2007, 05:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Shanghai McCoy wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply! Trying to get away from the yard service, for
obvious reasons. I did get application rates.. just didn't know what the
hell I was looking at. Thanks again!