Old 04-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Default Yellow/green hyacinths: What is going on?

Hitherto, we have cheerfully offered our suggestions to people with yellow
plants. Now...

Why are our hyacinths yellow/green? We are open to suggestions.

Our hyacinths are looking yellow/green instead of their usual dark green and
they are not reproducing at their usual frantic rate.

The Ph, etc seems quite normal.

We have also had some plaster of paris dissolving to buffer.

We have tried adding potash (1 tbs/1000 gal) for the last 2 weeks without
any noticeable result.

We figured the fish would provide quite enough waste to nitrogenize the
plants.

Is it conceivable the plants are ahead of the fish for nitrogen?

We will pull a couple of hyacinths and put them in their own tub, with a bit
of fertilizer. If they green....

Any suggestions?

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 04-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Jim

Why are our hyacinths yellow/green?

Are your koi eating the roots? If so, this could be the cause.

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248
Old 04-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Good thought. The wh in the veggie filter are also yellow, so I don't
suspect the koi for them. I will check the roots of the ones in the pond.

Old 05-07-2004, 12:02 AM
chagoi

Jim and Phyllis Hurley wrote:

Good thought. The wh in the veggie filter are also yellow, so I don't
suspect the koi for them. I will check the roots of the ones in the pond.

Jim

Jim,
My WH were looking a little yellow, added some potash, not much
improvement, just added so Epsom salt today, waiting to see if if helps

Not sure about the hardness of my water, need to buy more teststrips,
Ammonia .25
NitrIte .1
NitrAte ~ 80 (last year NitrAtes were 280+ and WH thrived)
pH 8.2

Try Google rec.ponds for threads on Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate).
Depending on your pH, GH, KH, some time you need a little Magnesium to
help the plants absorb the Potash. It seems that high Hardness levels
can cause a Magnesium deficiency.

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com
Old 05-07-2004, 06:03 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

When you think you have WH figured out, it changes.

Same here, problems with WH in the koi pond filter. I've pulled them out
and put them in some MirAcid for a week, not seeing much of an improvement.
Yet, the ones are green in the lily pond with its outrageous pH.... Which
reminds me, I need to go check to see if my water change yesterday helped
at all. ~ jan

Old 06-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Charles

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 13:32:13 -0500, "Jim and Phyllis Hurley"
wrote:

Hitherto, we have cheerfully offered our suggestions to people with yellow
plants. Now...

Why are our hyacinths yellow/green? We are open to suggestions.

Our hyacinths are looking yellow/green instead of their usual dark green and
they are not reproducing at their usual frantic rate.

The Ph, etc seems quite normal.

We have also had some plaster of paris dissolving to buffer.

We have tried adding potash (1 tbs/1000 gal) for the last 2 weeks without
any noticeable result.

We figured the fish would provide quite enough waste to nitrogenize the
plants.

Is it conceivable the plants are ahead of the fish for nitrogen?

We will pull a couple of hyacinths and put them in their own tub, with a bit
of fertilizer. If they green....

Any suggestions?

Jim

Too much sun, perhaps.

We've been observing some at my house and the water garden shop, the
ones in a bit more shade look better.

--

- Charles
-
Old 06-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
Hitherto, we have cheerfully offered our suggestions to people with yellow
plants. Now...

Why are our hyacinths yellow/green? We are open to suggestions.

snip

I cannot vouch for the safeness of this, but I did try some miracle grow in
the VF last year. Seemed to help a bit, and had no effect on the fish that I
can tell.

BV.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Mike Patterson

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:02:45 GMT, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote:

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
.. .
Hitherto, we have cheerfully offered our suggestions to people with yellow
plants. Now...

Why are our hyacinths yellow/green? We are open to suggestions.

snip

I cannot vouch for the safeness of this, but I did try some miracle grow in
the VF last year. Seemed to help a bit, and had no effect on the fish that I
can tell.

BV.

VF?
VF...?
vf....?

(lightbulb) A-ha! Veggie Filter!

Another TLA figured out!

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."
Old 08-07-2004, 12:05 AM
how

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

I cannot vouch for the safeness of this, but I did try some miracle grow

in
the VF last year. Seemed to help a bit, and had no effect on the fish that

can tell.

BV.

Hi,
Fertilizing plants in the veggie filter? Why?
L8R -_- how

Old 08-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"how" wrote in message
. ..
"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

I cannot vouch for the safeness of this, but I did try some miracle

grow
in
the VF last year. Seemed to help a bit, and had no effect on the fish

that
can tell.

BV.

Hi,
Fertilizing plants in the veggie filter? Why?

Experimentation for one, and to help them along as my filter is very much
oversized for my pond.

BV.

Old 11-07-2004, 01:06 PM
steve

[...]

Well, you tried the Potash so that is not it. This happens to me too.
I think it is an iron deficiency I would add chelated iron from your
plant nursery store, it last three times longer than normal iron,
other wise smaller doses of normal iron for plants for a few days. Put
the iron in a bowl in your pond or right on top of some of your plants
because it stains cement and linings. Also it turns the water brownish
pink for a day or so an you may have to do a premature cleaning of
your filter. Another thing that I would do is go to Home Depot and get
a few Fruit Tree fertilizer spikes (their cheap), break um up and
throw them in, your plants will say thank you.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:06 PM
steve

[...]

I forgot the dose of iron. I use a table spoon for every five hundred
gallons or so. I does not take much to turn your water a rose/brown
color.