Old 22-05-2008, 04:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Looking for classic hand weed sprayer

When I was young, my Father used a lawn sprayer that consisted of a
translucent green tube (about the size of those tubes you put in your
golf bag to organize clubs) with a sprayer mounted on the bottom, than
you just pushed down to dispense a dose of weed killer on a single
weed. The pump was activated by a rod that you pushed against the
ground. No bending over, no hand cramps, no overspray. Anyone know
where I might find one of these? I figure I could convert one of
those hand sprayers with a little ingenuity, but I'd rather honor
whomever still makes these great tools!
Old 26-05-2008, 08:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
When I was young, my Father used a lawn sprayer that consisted of a
translucent green tube (about the size of those tubes you put in your
golf bag to organize clubs) with a sprayer mounted on the bottom, than
you just pushed down to dispense a dose of weed killer on a single
weed. The pump was activated by a rod that you pushed against the
ground. No bending over, no hand cramps, no overspray. Anyone know
where I might find one of these? I figure I could convert one of
those hand sprayers with a little ingenuity, but I'd rather honor
whomever still makes these great tools!

An alternative:

Take a quart jar. Punch a bunch of holes in the lid with a nail. Fill it with
weed-n-feed (dry fertilizer), and screw on the lid. Tape the jar to a 2-3 fot
long stick, with the lid just beyond the end of the stick. Hold the other end of
the stick, and shake the jar up and down with the stick to sprinkle each weed.

I do remember the gadget you mention. Haven't seen them in years.

Old 26-05-2008, 08:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:15:20 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Is this the gadget? (jpg)

http://di1.shopping.com/images/pi/23...77x150-0-0.jpg

Old 28-05-2008, 09:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

No. The one described is about a 30" long plastic cylinder about 1-1 1/2" in
diameter, with a 1" long thing like a golf T at the bottom end. Push it down on
a weed, and it squirts weed killer out several small holes right above where the
T meets the cylinder.