Old 20-06-2008, 03:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Nut Grass

Is there a pre-emergent that kills or helps control Nut grass?
I went to the local Lesco and picked up Manage (by Mansanto)
The directions say to "add 2 teaspoons nonionic surfactant"
I have no idea what that is can someone help me out with that?
Old 20-06-2008, 04:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 20, 10:39*am, Peter Pan wrote:
Is there a pre-emergent that kills or helps control Nut grass?
I went to the local Lesco and picked up Manage (by Mansanto)
The directions say to "add 2 teaspoons nonionic surfactant"
I have no idea what that is can someone help me out with that?

Don't know of any pre-emergent specifically for nutgrass. I guess a
pre-emergent for crabgrass would probably stop seeds from germinating,
but I've never heard of it being used. Nor does it seem necessary.
Manage will easily eliminate it when it's growing.

A surfactant is a molecule that is can bond to water on one end and
something oily on the other end. Think of soap. In the case of
herbicides, it helps the herbicide spread out and attach to waxy
leaves instead of sitting there in tiny balls or rolling off.

Not sure why they specify non-ionic, though I think that type may
perform better in hard water. You could buy a surfactant at Lesco,
but considering problems like it's probably in a lifetime size qty for
home use, f it were me, I'd use a little bit of liquid dishwashing
soap and it should work fine.
Old 20-06-2008, 04:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter Pan said:

Is there a pre-emergent that kills or helps control Nut grass?

Cyperus esculentus is *not* a grass.

I went to the local Lesco and picked up Manage (by Mansanto)

You would probably have better luck with Sedgehammer (also from Lesco). If
they're still selling Manage, my guess would be it's old product.
Sedgehammer is the replacement for Manage. Gowan bought the rights to the
name Manage, last year IIRC.

http://www.google.com/search?q=nonio...L_enUS232US232
--

Eggs

Is there another word for synonym?
Old 20-06-2008, 07:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

You don't say what type of nutsedge you're trying to control. If it's yellow
nutsedge, controlling it is about all that can be done until it runs out of
energy and stops sending up shoots. Purple nutsedge, on the other hand,
might have some method of killing it, from what I've seen in some obscure
article on the internet; but don't hold your breath. Spray the shoots with
anything that will kill the shoots, but don't expect to kill the seed-nut
because it will continue sending out shoots until it depletes its energy
source. Of course, you can alway try to dig it out, but it no guarantee that
you'll find the nut. Just keep spraying, and pull out the occasional lone
shoot. The nuts are edible, in case you wish to gather a fistful and clean
them and roast them. Just about the time you begin to enjoy them, they'll
probably die off!

By the way, nutsedges are allelopathic (like walnut trees) and secrete a
chemical that discourages growth of other plants in order to assure its own
survival. Definitely a good idea to get rid of it if you can.
Old 20-06-2008, 10:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

said:

You don't say what type of nutsedge you're trying to control.

*I'm* not trying to control anything. Please learn how to
quote/reply/attribute/post.

If it's yellow
nutsedge, controlling it is about all that can be done until it runs out of
energy and stops sending up shoots.

Horsehockey. Sedgehammer will knock it right out. A treatment again, before
the plant goes dormant, will take the dose of herbicide right down to the
tuber, effectively killing it (if the first app doesn't do it, though under
proper conditions it should).

Purple nutsedge, on the other hand,
might have some method of killing it, from what I've seen in some obscure
article on the internet;

Ahh! So you get your information on the internet. We /all/ know that it
*must* be true, then! Especially if it's an obscure article. The more
obscure, the more truth, yup!

but don't hold your breath. Spray the shoots with
anything that will kill the shoots,

Sure, spray "anything" that will kill the shoots. Hell, glyphosate will
kill the shoots. It'll also kill any plant in the local area, that it
touches. Much better advice would be to spray a product with
methanearsonate in it.

but don't expect to kill the seed-nut
because it will continue sending out shoots until it depletes its energy
source.

No, if you're just spraying anything, willy-nilly, you probably won't get
the tuber. BTW, it's a tuber, not a "nut".

Of course, you can alway try to dig it out, but it no guarantee that
you'll find the nut. Just keep spraying, and pull out the occasional lone
shoot. The nuts are edible, in case you wish to gather a fistful and clean
them and roast them. Just about the time you begin to enjoy them, they'll
probably die off!

The first full-truth you've made. The tuber is edible.

By the way, nutsedges are allelopathic (like walnut trees) and secrete a
chemical that discourages growth of other plants in order to assure its own
survival.

More internet wisdom? Cyperus esculentus and C. rotundus are known for
their allelopathic abilities against (please try and keep up, here)
*CERTAIN* plants (most notably corn and cotton). This does *not* apply to
turf grass. Unless their yard is full of corn or cotton, I doubt they'd
have to worry.

Definitely a good idea to get rid of it if you can.

Again, *I'm* not the one with the nutsedge problem. But, were I, that would
be good advice.
--

Eggs

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up,
he'll never be able to edge his car onto a freeway.

Old 21-06-2008, 01:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

http://www.pestproducts.com/herbicid...dersticker.htm
Not sure why they specify non-ionic, though I think that type may
perform better in hard water. You could buy a surfactant at Lesco,
but considering problems like it's probably in a lifetime size qty for
home use, f it were me, I'd use a little bit of liquid dishwashing
soap and it should work fine.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 22-06-2008, 03:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Uh-huh!! If you have all the answers to that problem, how come you aren't
rich?
Old 22-06-2008, 03:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 22, 10:32*am, wrote:
Uh-huh!! If you have all the answers to that problem, how come you aren't
rich?

I've had very good success at eliminating yellow nutsedge with
Manage. You may not get all of it with one application, but you will
get most of it and with a few applications you can get rid of all of
it.

The biggest problem in treating it is that it's not present most of
the time. It grows when it's hot and wet. For many lawns, that's
only a fraction of the time. So, seeing it and getting after it
quickly when it's there is the main issue. Best to spray it a few
days after mowing, when the shoots are readily apparent.
Old 22-06-2008, 10:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Using manage: The directions say to wear long sleeves and socks, does
it irritate the skin?
I plan on putting it down in the next day or so..
ALso is there anything I should know about it? I'll be using the spot
treatment application using a hand held pump sprayer
Thanks

Old 23-06-2008, 12:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter Pan said:

Using manage: The directions say to wear long sleeves and socks, does
it irritate the skin?
I plan on putting it down in the next day or so..
ALso is there anything I should know about it? I'll be using the spot
treatment application using a hand held pump sprayer
Thanks

Finding the MSDS proved to be a chore, since it's been discontinued for
almost two years. This, along with the product packaging, should help
answer your questions:
http://www.horizononline.com/resourc...pdf/manage.pdf
--

Eggs

Did Washington flash a quarter when asked for ID?

Anybody know how to combat Nut Grass? James Gardening 5 18-08-2004 05:53 AM
Coco grass (Nut grass) Perry Templeton Gardening 1 23-04-2004 03:02 PM
Coco grass (Nut grass) Perry Templeton Gardening 0 17-04-2004 02:39 PM
Nut grass Snogoose Australia 3 11-10-2003 06:12 AM
Nut grass Snogoose Australia 2 08-10-2003 09:38 AM