Old 05-09-2008, 06:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default What's the best way to remove weeds?

On going struggle with weed removal in the backyard.

1 Weed killers, kinda slow, would take a week or more to see the effect
and than the same partial dead weed would grow back. Would need couple more
applications, lots of poison in the ground, and than the weeds would come
back in a few more months.

2 Weedwacker to remove weeds at the ground surface, grows right back with
a vengeance in a few weeks.

3 Dig out and remove the weeds and roots by hand, pretty nice for about
three months than new weed pops up again, less time if we have rain. Same
thing using a 6hp rotor tiller.

4 Try burning it, but seems like my touch is too small and flame too weak
to do any good.

5 Installed no weed fabric. That controls it but a small amount of weeds
growing above and below the fabric.

6 Pour concrete slab over much of the backyard, about 25 yards of
concrete!

I have another house to do, don't want to pour 25 yards again - too much
back breaking work and getting too old.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:25:16 -0700, " Frank" x wrote:

On going struggle with weed removal in the backyard.

1 Weed killers, kinda slow, would take a week or more to see the effect
and than the same partial dead weed would grow back. Would need couple more
applications, lots of poison in the ground, and than the weeds would come
back in a few more months.

2 Weedwacker to remove weeds at the ground surface, grows right back with
a vengeance in a few weeks.

3 Dig out and remove the weeds and roots by hand, pretty nice for about
three months than new weed pops up again, less time if we have rain. Same
thing using a 6hp rotor tiller.

4 Try burning it, but seems like my touch is too small and flame too weak
to do any good.

The Weed Dragon torch is 100,000 BTU. See video on their site.

http://www.flameengineering.com/Weed_Dragon.html

Old 05-09-2008, 11:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 5, 1:38*pm, Oren wrote:
[...]

back breaking work and getting too old.- Hide quoted text -

It's impossible to give accurate advice because a lot is missing.
Weeds in turf? Weeds in shrubs/flower beds? If you kill the weeds,
what do you want to be there, bare soil?

If you correctly apply a herbicide like Roundup, it's very effective
in killing plants.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

" Frank" x wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Don't see anything about any other grasses or foliage you want.

If you want bare soil, till it every 2 months...

Most grasses will crowd out most weeds if the area is properly mowed at an
approprate time. Some grasses selected may be inappropriate for the climate
or soil conditions. As a result, may not be able to compete with native
foliage (weeds). I'll take my guessing hat off now regarding your exact
situation.
--
Dave

Old 06-09-2008, 02:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

" Frank" x wrote in message
. ..
[...]

1. For lawns -- the best way to keep out weeds is to have very healthy
turfgrass. That means starting out with a weed-free yard, then giving it
the right amount of care -- e.g., no weed-and-feed, which has too much
soluble nitrogen; not too much water, which doesn't encourage healthy root
growth, not too much nitrogen, which encourages tender greenery that bugs
like, etc.

2. For gardens -- the best way to keep out weeds is a one-time effort to
get rid of all of the weeds, then keep the garden heavily mulched -- at
least 3-4 inches of mulch at a minimum, at all times. To keep that from
getting expensive, I have a tree service drop off a truckload of wood chips
from one of their jobs at least once a year. You may not have space for
such a mulch pile, but it saves me a fortune in big-bix mulch and
weedkillers.

I only use weedkillers to keep weeds out of the shellrock driveway, the
swale along the roadway, and on some paving-block walkways. Everything else
is mulched on a regular basis.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
On Sep 5, 1:38 pm, Oren wrote:
[...]

-----

Another non-news server not serving complete assets a new server can.

Maybe you should say broad leaf plants?
--
Dave

Mankind, homo sapiens, 3rd chimpanzee