Old 17-04-2010, 12:41 PM
gra gra is offline
Registered User

Default The best way to remove a small plum tree from garden

Hi Guys
i have a plum tree bang in the centre of my garden that i want to get rid off, as i am putting up some climbing frames for my kids. However i am not sure how to remove the tree, its not very big, its about 18ft tall max, and is thin, the thickest part of the tree is at the bottom and measures 20 or so inches around, i was thinking about simply cutting it down ( safely and do it so i can control where it falls lol) but not sure what to do with the stump, or how much stump to leave? should i dig the stump out or use one of the many stump removal products etc? because the garden is used by my kids i want sure if the stump removal products were safe etc, so would appreciate any help if possible

kind regards
Gra
Old 17-04-2010, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from gra contains these words:

Hi Guys
i have a plum tree bang in the centre of my garden that i want to get
rid off, as i am putting up some climbing frames for my kids. However i
am not sure how to remove the tree, its not very big, its about 18ft
tall max, and is thin, the thickest part of the tree is at the bottom
and measures 20 or so inches around, i was thinking about simply cutting
it down ( safely and do it so i can control where it falls lol) but not
sure what to do with the stump, or how much stump to leave? should i dig
the stump out or use one of the many stump removal products etc? because
the garden is used by my kids i want sure if the stump removal products
were safe etc, so would appreciate any help if possible

I would get rid of the stump completely. It's a quick and easy job
this way:
Cut off the trunk about 2 ft above ground level. the tall stump is
going to be a temporary lever. Then use a mattock, spade and elbow
grease to excavate the earth from around the base of the trunk (radius
of one foot, just enough to get to the roots where they join the
trunk).
Saw , lop or chop off with axe, all roots as you uncover them. Use the
2ft stump as a lever to rock and loosen any remaining roots until they
can all be severed
and the stump is free, lift out the severed stump and fill hole. The
roots left underground and will just rot harmlessly.

janet

I would do similar with the exception of leaving the trunk as tall as
possible for greater leverage. Tie a rope near the top and use is to pull.
Also if you can get hold of one easily, a scaffold pole and a suitable
fulcrum will work wonders lifting the stump up.

Stump rotting products are easier but by the time they work your kids will
have outgrown the climbing frame.

mark

Old 17-04-2010, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Apr, 16:43, "mark" wrote:
[...]

Incorporate the tree as part of the climbing frame.
Old 17-04-2010, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 17, 5:17*pm, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
[...]

Typo? What with 2 ft not being .. er.. "tall" and would require one
to be on ones knees when attempting to use it's length as a lever.
Otherwise spot on., except that going slightly further out from the
trunk will provide smaller, easier targets.

Old 17-04-2010, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
gra

I would suggest cutting the tree 3ft from the base. Wrap a chain
around the base and roots and use a truck to pull it out.

Old 18-04-2010, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 18, 12:28*am, tbirdram wrote:
On Apr 17, 7:41*am, gra wrote:

[...]

And if you leave the trunk at six foot, the truck will have even less
work.
Failing the truck, you could perhaps hire a wench. (probably another
word for this gadget but I can't think of it now. it's manually
operated with cables)
Old 18-04-2010, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 04:11:31 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp
wrote:

I would suggest cutting the tree 3ft from the base. Wrap a chain
around the base and roots and use a truck to pull it out.

And if you leave the trunk at six foot, the truck will have even less
work.
Failing the truck, you could perhaps hire a wench. (probably another
word for this gadget but I can't think of it now. it's manually
operated with cables)

I'm all for wenches, but you might have more success with a winch

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 18-04-2010, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I have become quite an expert in this having removed several
trees over the last 5 years. The most useful tool I have is a
little fold up saw that cuts on the pull (rather than on the push
like a conventional saw) that I bought for a couple of quid from
Aldi.

My Method
Cut down tree leaving at least 6ft of trunk.
Dig around base cutting all roots with pull saw.
Wiggle trunk.
Dig and cut more.
Lean heavily on trunk, or attach rope to Land Rover where access
makes this possible.
Dig and cut more.
Once down hack as much soil and root from the rootball as
possible before logging the remaining trunk and depositing
rootball on bonfire.

Some big ones have been removed over several days/evenings but
none have defeated me.

Disposing of the rootball can be a problem if you don't have
space for a bonfire, cutting them up soon wrecks a chainsaw due
to all the grit.

Another idea is to cut the tree down as low as possible then use
a chainsaw with an old chain to grind it down to soil level. I
find that a "G" clamp on the end of the bar as a second handle
makes this job much easier.

Mike

Old 18-04-2010, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I would suggest cutting the tree 3ft from the base. Wrap a chain
around the base and roots and use a truck to pull it out.

And if you leave the trunk at six foot, the truck will have even less
work.
Failing the truck, you could perhaps hire a wench. (probably another
word for this gadget but I can't think of it now. it's manually
operated with cables

A robot?

)

I'm all for wenches, but you might have more success with a winch

That depends on your long term aim in life.

And what you prefer to pull.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 18-04-2010, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 15:26:58 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from aquachimp contains these words:

On Apr 18, 12:28*am, tbirdram wrote:

I would suggest cutting the tree 3ft from the base. Wrap a chain
around the base and roots and use a truck to pull it out.

And if you leave the trunk at six foot, the truck will have even less
work.
Failing the truck, you could perhaps hire a wench.

Neither of you can afford me.

Gissa quote, missis

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 18-04-2010, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 17, 7:41 am, gra wrote:

[...]

I'd be more than happy to have a wench here!

Alan

Old 18-04-2010, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I would suggest cutting the tree 3ft from the base. Wrap a chain
around the base and roots and use a truck to pull it out.

And if you leave the trunk at six foot, the truck will have even less
work.
Failing the truck, you could perhaps hire a wench. (probably another
word for this gadget but I can't think of it now. it's manually
operated with cables

A robot?

)

I'm all for wenches, but you might have more success with a winch

That depends on your long term aim in life.

And what you prefer to pull.

I would love to pull as many wenches as possible!

Alan

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 18-04-2010, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message

from aquachimp contains these words:

On Apr 18, 12:28 am, tbirdram wrote:

I would suggest cutting the tree 3ft from the base. Wrap a chain
around the base and roots and use a truck to pull it out.

And if you leave the trunk at six foot, the truck will have even less
work.
Failing the truck, you could perhaps hire a wench.

Neither of you can afford me.

What if I won the Lotto?

Janet

Old 18-04-2010, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The message
from aquachimp contains these words:

On Apr 18, 12:28*am, tbirdram wrote:

I would suggest cutting the tree 3ft from the base. Wrap a chain
around the base and roots and use a truck to pull it out.

And if you leave the trunk at six foot, the truck will have even less
work.
Failing the truck, you could perhaps hire a wench.

Neither of you can afford me.

Gissa quote, missis

Et tu Brutus?

No, I am Spartacus

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 20-04-2010, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

Unless you are exceptionally short of stature leaving 4 or 5 feet of
stump on the tree will give you a lot more leverage. I'd dig around a
foot away from the tree and also find a couple of scaffold poles and a
very heavy piece of wood. Be very careful using levers they can be
extraordinarly damaging if you put flesh into the nip. It is about the
cheapest low tech way to do it though.

Dope the residual bits of root with some rootout or glyphosate and a
trace of copper sulphate and pot nitrate to encourage rot fungi.

Shame the plum tree has to go. Are the fruits no good?

Regards,
Martin Brown