Old 25-03-2009, 05:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default grass

I lose the battle of grass and other crap in my garden every year. I only
plant corn (3 plantings), a few tomatoes from plants, maybe a couple hills
of cantaloupe and broadcast some flowers across one end.

Is there a pre-emergent that I can use just after the things I want are
above the ground, for the grass that won't kill everything else?

Old 25-03-2009, 10:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Glenn said:

I lose the battle of grass and other crap in my garden every year. I only
plant corn (3 plantings), a few tomatoes from plants, maybe a couple hills
of cantaloupe and broadcast some flowers across one end.

Is there a pre-emergent that I can use just after the things I want are
above the ground, for the grass that won't kill everything else?

If it's a "pre-emergent", it won't kill anything that's already germinated.
Depending on your location (you were more than a bit vague about that), it
/may/ be too late to apply. Then again, it may not.

--

Eggs

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a
nail.
Old 25-03-2009, 10:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 25, 6:20*pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Glenn said:

I lose the battle of grass and other crap in my garden every year. *I only
plant corn (3 plantings), a few tomatoes from plants, maybe a couple hills
of cantaloupe and broadcast some flowers across one end.

Is there a pre-emergent that I can use just after the things I want are
above the ground, for the grass that won't kill everything else?

If it's a "pre-emergent", it won't kill anything that's already germinated.
Depending on your location (you were more than a bit vague about that), it
/may/ be too late to apply. Then again, it may not.

--

Eggs

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a
nail.

I'd also make sure the pre-emergent is listed for use on vegetable
crops used for food.
Old 25-03-2009, 11:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Kansas City area. I won't be putting in the first planting of corn for a
couple weeks and the rest by May 10 (accepted area end of frost here). I
have a 4' tiller on the back of my John Deere that I will last till just
before each planting.

If they are poking their head out, a pre-emergent won't hurt them?

Old 26-03-2009, 12:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[Top-posting fixed]

Glenn said:

I lose the battle of grass and other crap in my garden every year. I
only
plant corn (3 plantings), a few tomatoes from plants, maybe a couple
hills
of cantaloupe and broadcast some flowers across one end.

Is there a pre-emergent that I can use just after the things I want are
above the ground, for the grass that won't kill everything else?

If it's a "pre-emergent", it won't kill anything that's already
germinated.
Depending on your location (you were more than a bit vague about that), it
/may/ be too late to apply. Then again, it may not.

[borked quoting fixed]

I'd also make sure the pre-emergent is listed for use on vegetable
crops used for food.

Kansas City area. I won't be putting in the first planting of corn for a
couple weeks and the rest by May 10 (accepted area end of frost here). I
have a 4' tiller on the back of my John Deere that I will last till just
before each planting.

Why would you want to put pre-emergent in your vegetable garden? Are you
too lazy to actually pull weeds? That's a part of gardening, you know.

If you put down a pre-emergent now, and then till, you've wasted your
money. A pre-emergent creates a barrier that germinating seeds can't
penetrate, so they die. If you disturb that barrier, even mildly, then any
seed can germinate.

If they are poking their head out, a pre-emergent won't hurt them?

Please spend about 10 seconds actually thinking about the meaning of the
word "pre-emergent".

--

Eggs

-Two aerial antennas meet on a roof, fall in love get married. The ceremony
wasn't much, but the reception was brilliant.

Old 26-03-2009, 01:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 25, 8:15*pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
[Top-posting fixed]

Glenn said:

[...]

I feel better now. I thought you were endorsing his idea. I guess
you didn't read his post carefully.

If you put down a pre-emergent now, and then till, you've wasted your
money. A pre-emergent creates a barrier that germinating seeds can't
penetrate, so they die. If you disturb that barrier, even mildly, then any
seed can germinate.

If they are poking their head out, a pre-emergent won't hurt them?

Please spend about 10 seconds actually thinking about the meaning of the
word "pre-emergent".

--

I think what he means here is if the vegetables are coming up, that
the pre-emergent won't hurt them. All I know is pre-emergent is

Eggs

-Two aerial antennas meet on a roof, fall in love get married. The ceremony
wasn't much, but the reception was brilliant.- Hide quoted text -

Old 26-03-2009, 01:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Glenn said:

[...]

Nope. You're right. At first, going by his Subject, I thought he wanted to
pre-emerge everything. In KC, that window is now. But then he started
talking about tilling and it hit me that he was worried about grass in his
veggie garden. Duh.

If you put down a pre-emergent now, and then till, you've wasted your
money. A pre-emergent creates a barrier that germinating seeds can't
penetrate, so they die. If you disturb that barrier, even mildly, then any
seed can germinate.

If they are poking their head out, a pre-emergent won't hurt them?

Please spend about 10 seconds actually thinking about the meaning of the
word "pre-emergent".

--

I think what he means here is if the vegetables are coming up, that
the pre-emergent won't hurt them. All I know is pre-emergent is
one chemical I don't need or want in my garden.

Agreed. =) He needs to alot time to weeding, or find another hobby. =)
--

Eggs

-If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?
Old 26-03-2009, 02:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

[Top-posting fixed]

Glenn said:

[....]

Kansas City area. I won't be putting in the first planting of corn for a
couple weeks and the rest by May 10 (accepted area end of frost here). I
have a 4' tiller on the back of my John Deere that I will last till just
before each planting.

Why would you want to put pre-emergent in your vegetable garden? Are you
too lazy to actually pull weeds? That's a part of gardening, you know.

Hey Eggs doing well I hope... the conversation reminds me
of something I read in last month's Furrow magazine. the
writer wrote, "whoever said a job well done never needs
redoing never weeded a garden."
Old 26-03-2009, 09:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

[Top-posting fixed]

Glenn said:

[....]

Kansas City area. I won't be putting in the first planting of corn for a
couple weeks and the rest by May 10 (accepted area end of frost here). I
have a 4' tiller on the back of my John Deere that I will last till just
before each planting.

Why would you want to put pre-emergent in your vegetable garden? Are you
too lazy to actually pull weeds? That's a part of gardening, you know.

Hey Eggs doing well I hope... the conversation reminds me
of something I read in last month's Furrow magazine. the
writer wrote, "whoever said a job well done never needs
redoing never weeded a garden."

Hey Jim. Yup, doing good. It's mulch time, heh. The first of the season's
200 yards worth at work have started to hit the beds. I like this time of
year. I get to drop a few pounds, LOL. =)

All's well there too, I hope! =)
--

Eggs

Do Amish people get one phone call when arrested?
Old 26-03-2009, 01:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I'll top post there you can find it.

My thanks for all the cute answers. I'm 78 and getting a little slow so I
just can't keep up with the grass.

Sorry I bothered you, I won't again.

Old 26-03-2009, 08:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Glenn" wrote in message
I lose the battle of grass and other crap in my garden every year. I only
plant corn (3 plantings), a few tomatoes from plants, maybe a couple hills
of cantaloupe and broadcast some flowers across one end.

Is there a pre-emergent that I can use just after the things I want are
above the ground, for the grass that won't kill everything else?

Glenn,

Go to the web site for Preen for vegetable gardens and see if that is the
product you are looking for. It lists the weeds controlled, etc.

Good Luck,

DP

Old 12-05-2009, 08:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

While these will not work for corn, may I suggest a post-emergent such as
Fluazifop-p-butyl or Sethoxydim

http://www.css.cornell.edu/WeedEco/H...p-p-butyl.html
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles...xydim-ext.html

Once applied I would also recommend a generous application iron to any
residual weeds.
For iron I have been using the a 4th riding rototiller(New Holland), the
large troybuilt, a Mantis style tiller, and of course the sacred hoe.