Old 14-04-2009, 10:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default Tree safe broadleaf herbicide?

Hi, I have a number of dandelions in my yard (PNW), too many to spot treat,
and I'm not going to rip out the yard and resod it.

That leaves me to looking for an herbicide. The only problem is that I have
a few trees (oak, maple, walnut), and I don't want to kill the trees.

Looking at the labels, I see 2,4-D and Dicamba, both of which seem to be
toxic to trees.

My question is, for those of you who have used these products around trees,
what has been your experience? Have you been successful in keeping the
trees alive?

Also, is there perhaps a different formulation which might be less toxic to
the trees?

Thanks,

Jon

Old 14-04-2009, 10:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Hi, I have a number of dandelions in my yard (PNW), too many to spot treat,
and I'm not going to rip out the yard and resod it.

That leaves me to looking for an herbicide. The only problem is that I have
a few trees (oak, maple, walnut), and I don't want to kill the trees.

Looking at the labels, I see 2,4-D and Dicamba, both of which seem to be
toxic to trees.

My question is, for those of you who have used these products around trees,
what has been your experience? Have you been successful in keeping the
trees alive?

Also, is there perhaps a different formulation which might be less toxic to
the trees?

Thanks,

Jon

OK to use. Just don't spray it on the tree foliage.
Old 14-04-2009, 11:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

[flup set to ahlg]

Jon Danniken said:

Hi, I have a number of dandelions in my yard (PNW), too many to spot treat,
and I'm not going to rip out the yard and resod it.

That leaves me to looking for an herbicide. The only problem is that I have
a few trees (oak, maple, walnut), and I don't want to kill the trees.

Well, the Walnut could go. =P

How large are the trees?

Looking at the labels, I see 2,4-D and Dicamba, both of which seem to be
toxic to trees.

If they're mature, it would take a pretty hefty dose.

My question is, for those of you who have used these products around trees,
what has been your experience? Have you been successful in keeping the
trees alive?

There'd be a lot of turf-care people out of work, who answered "no" to that
last question.

Also, is there perhaps a different formulation which might be less toxic to
the trees?

The rate given on the bag, when applied as directed, should be safe for
anything larger than a very small sapling.

--

Eggs

A hen is an egg's way of making another egg.
Old 14-04-2009, 11:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jon Danniken wrote:
Take up is by absoprtion thru the leaves, not from the ground.

Just don't spray on the leaves of trees and make sure to not spray on
windy day so don't get drift and no problems.

And, of course, they're also detrimental to almost any broadleaf plant
so keep away from shrubbery, perennials, etc., etc, etc, ...

Old 14-04-2009, 11:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 14, 6:22*pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
[flup set to ahlg]

Jon Danniken said:

Hi, I have a number of dandelions in my yard (PNW), too many to spot treat,
and I'm not going to rip out the yard and resod it.

That leaves me to looking for an herbicide. *The only problem is that I have
a few trees (oak, maple, walnut), and I don't want to kill the trees.

Well, the Walnut could go. *=P

How large are the trees?

Looking at the labels, I see 2,4-D and Dicamba, both of which seem to be
toxic to trees.

If they're mature, it would take a pretty hefty dose.

My question is, for those of *you who have used these products around trees,
what has been your experience? *Have you been successful in keeping the
trees alive?

There'd be a lot of turf-care people out of work, who answered "no" to that
last question.

Also, is there perhaps a different formulation which might be less toxic to
the trees?

The rate given on the bag, when applied as directed, should be safe for
anything larger than a very small sapling.

--

Eggs

Agree. With all the weed-n-feed put down, much of it unwarranted,
there would be a lot of dead trees around if they were that sensitive
to it.

But I don't see why you can't spot treat with a tank sprayer. That
minimizes the amount of herbicide and delivers the maximum amount
where it's needed, on the weed.

Old 15-04-2009, 12:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Hi, I have a number of dandelions in my yard (PNW), too many to spot treat,
and I'm not going to rip out the yard and resod it.

That leaves me to looking for an herbicide. The only problem is that I have
a few trees (oak, maple, walnut), and I don't want to kill the trees.

Looking at the labels, I see 2,4-D and Dicamba, both of which seem to be
toxic to trees.

My question is, for those of you who have used these products around trees,
what has been your experience? Have you been successful in keeping the
trees alive?

Also, is there perhaps a different formulation which might be less toxic to
the trees?

Thanks,

Jon

We have southern lawn and did lawn care for our condo for several years.
For first all-over treatment, we used Weed-B-Gone. For really
persistant weeds, I used Roundup with a spray bottle (no drift) or a
brush. Using a paint brush makes quick work of the occasional weed and
keeps herbicide from contacting anything else.

When we did all-over treatment, we weren't particularly careful about
root zones, as some labels say not to spray. As I recall, WBG works
through the leaves, not the roots, so nothing is really getting to tree
roots. Need to be careful not to spray on windy days, or herbicide will
drift. We also fertilized a week or two prior, so weeds were actively
growing, which is what you want them to do so they take up the
herbicide. Good idea not to apply herbicides when lawns are stressed by
hot dry weather.
Old 15-04-2009, 02:17 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 19:34:07 -0400, "
wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:
[...]

Not an issue in Ontario any more. In about 2 weeks it becomes illegal
to use chemical pesticides of any kind on our lawns------
Yup - time for ASTROTURF
Old 15-04-2009, 12:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:
[...]

Wow! Unfortunately, too many folks think if a little is good, more is
really good. Some herbicides are really nasty stuff, especially when
they get into water....no more frogs? Not a big deal to some, but it
changes the environ. in a big way.
Old 15-04-2009, 03:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
[...]

Yup - time for ASTROTURF- Hide quoted text -

That is exactly what my wife keeps wanting me to do but I keep
thinking the neighbors will object. What I did at my prior home and
am in the process of doing at my new home is to replace most if not
all of my grass with landscaping using a lot of stone, bolders, slate,
and landscape plants. I was 100% successful at my prior home and did
not require any chemicals for either pesticides or fertilizer. Both
the front and back yards were shade covered gardens with slate and
epoxy-stone walks, lots of moss rock, bolders, decks, and natural
areas. The plants were all perennials with various textures and
colors. Maintenance was limited to one weekend in the spring and late
fall with about an hour of monthly maintenance to blow and sweep the
tree trash.

I can say that it is a LOT of work to get your yard to that point but
once there you get to sit back and enjoy watching the neighbors weed,
mow and trim.

Old 15-04-2009, 06:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default Tree safe broadleaf herbicide? (Thanks!)

Thanks to everyone who responded, I really do appreciate it. I'm going to
pick some up this week and apply it carefully, might even dilute it down a
little bit just for fun.

Thanks again,

Jon

Old 15-04-2009, 06:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
...might even dilute it down a little bit just for fun.

Not below recommended rate, no. It will do nothing but stunt growth
rather than kill and contribute to a new generation that is more
resistant. Use as recommended/instructed, don't try to be smarter than
the folks who make it and tell you how to use it properly.