Old 16-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Registered User

Smile Damp soil lawn advice??

Firstly, forgive my ignorance on lawn care. Here's my problem:

My lawn takes a lot of drainage from another elevated site behind my own hence the soil is compacted and very damp. The end result is that moss has taken over. I know I can't kill it once and for all. So far I've used an electric moss raker which certainly seems to have cleared the majority and I've aerated the lawn.

Now...what should I do next to give me a healthy lawn come the summer?

Should I apply an organic compost/sharpsand mix over the lawn then resow or am I being very naive. Your advice would be most welcome!!
Old 17-04-2009, 01:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Damp soil lawn advice??

--
thewhisperingon

I would also check pH and I suspect the lawn needs liming as moss
seems to prefer low pH.
Old 18-04-2009, 12:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

You sure don't need to use a "heavy" soil additive like clay. What about
adding sand? Mix it in with the existing soil. It would aerate the soil
somewhat and not hold any moisture.

--
"thewhisperingon" wrote in
message ...

Old 18-04-2009, 02:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 17, 7:19*pm, "JB" wrote:
You sure don't need to use a "heavy" soil additive like clay. What about
adding sand? Mix it in with the existing soil. It would aerate the soil
somewhat and not hold any moisture.

--
"thewhisperingon" wrote in
o.uk...

Firstly, forgive my ignorance on lawn care. Here's my problem:

My lawn takes a lot of drainage from another elevated site behind my
own hence the soil is compacted and very damp. The end result is that
moss has taken over. I know I can't kill it once and for all. So far
I've used an electric moss raker which certainly seems to have cleared
the majority and I've aerated the lawn.

Now...what should I do next to give me a healthy lawn come the summer?

Should I apply an organic compost/sharpsand mix over the lawn then
resow or am I being very naive. *Your advice would be most welcome!!

--
thewhisperingon- Hide quoted text -

Too many things here we don't know. If it's just compacted soil
that's not really flooded, then the aeration, raking in sand/compost,
reseeding will help. It may take several times before you achieve
success though.

But if it's really flooded, it may be necessary to either deal with re-
directing the water, or go with an alternate planting. If you stay
with grass, make sure to select a variety suited for wet locations.
There are some mixes targeted for shady, damp locations, etc.

Also as Frank suggested, test the PH and adjust as needed.
Old 21-04-2009, 06:09 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

thewhisperingon wrote:
Firstly, forgive my ignorance on lawn care. Here's my problem:

My lawn takes a lot of drainage from another elevated site behind my
own hence the soil is compacted and very damp. The end result is that
moss has taken over. I know I can't kill it once and for all. So far
I've used an electric moss raker which certainly seems to have cleared
the majority and I've aerated the lawn.

Now...what should I do next to give me a healthy lawn come the summer?

Should I apply an organic compost/sharpsand mix over the lawn then
resow or am I being very naive. Your advice would be most welcome!!

Lime for the ph, and ferrous sulphate to kill the moss there now.