Old 10-05-2009, 08:01 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default Garden Hose for transfer of K1 Oil ?

I need to transfer K1 kerosene from my delivery trailer to my tank 50 ft
away. I have priced hoses made for fuels, and a 50 ft length is $200-300.

Any reason why I cannot us a commercial grade, 3/4 inch hose like the one
shown in this link ? This hose would be used **only** for this purpose,
and would be used no more than two times a year.

Any comments or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

James

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8424_200218424

Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

"James" wrote in message
I need to transfer K1 kerosene from my delivery trailer to my tank 50 ft
away. I have priced hoses made for fuels, and a 50 ft length is
$200-300.

Any reason why I cannot us a commercial grade, 3/4 inch hose like the one
shown in this link ? This hose would be used **only** for this purpose,
and would be used no more than two times a year.

Any comments or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

James

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8424_200218424

I'm sure it's not the proper thing to use. The fuel probably deteriorates
the hose material. There's probably 20 federal laws prohibiting it's use,
but I've been dumping about 500 gallons of heating oil from an above ground
tank to an underground tank each year for about five years now, using a
cheap garden hose and a gear pump. I just make sure to keep a close eye out
for problems while the transfer is going on

Old 10-05-2009, 09:22 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

on 5/10/2009 3:01 PM (ET) James wrote the following:
I need to transfer K1 kerosene from my delivery trailer to my tank 50 ft
away. I have priced hoses made for fuels, and a 50 ft length is $200-300.

Any reason why I cannot us a commercial grade, 3/4 inch hose like the one
shown in this link ? This hose would be used **only** for this purpose,
and would be used no more than two times a year.

Any comments or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

James

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8424_200218424

You need a polyurethane hose that can handle gasoline or oil. Available
at the big box stores in cut-to-length rolls.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
[...]

I'm just curious: what kind of 'problems' do you keep an eye out for that
you can actually solve after you visually note them happening?

jc

Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

"Joe" wrote in message
. ..

"RBM" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
[...]

blown hose, or any leaks

Old 10-05-2009, 10:17 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

not sure if I could roll up a pvc line for storage when I am not using it...

the advice of a polyurathane hose is good, but I think 50 feet will be
quite expensive

James

Old 10-05-2009, 11:21 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in
:

"RBM" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
I need to transfer K1 kerosene from my delivery trailer to my tank
50 ft
away. I have priced hoses made for fuels, and a 50 ft length is
$200-300.

Any reason why I cannot us a commercial grade, 3/4 inch hose like
the one
shown in this link ? This hose would be used **only** for this
purpose,
and would be used no more than two times a year.

Any comments or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

James

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...roduct_6970_20
0218424_200218424

I'm sure it's not the proper thing to use. The fuel probably
deteriorates the hose material. There's probably 20 federal laws
prohibiting it's use, but I've been dumping about 500 gallons of
heating oil from an above ground tank to an underground tank each
year for about five years now, using a cheap garden hose and a gear
pump. I just make sure to keep a close eye out for problems while the
transfer is going on

I'm just curious: what kind of 'problems' do you keep an eye out for
that you can actually solve after you visually note them happening?

jc

City inspectors maybe.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:45 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2009 2:17 PM James spake thus:

not sure if I could roll up a pvc line for storage when I am not using it...

the advice of a polyurathane hose is good, but I think 50 feet will be
quite expensive

So what is the inside of ordinary garden hose made of? Sheesh, I'll bet
that whatever it is, it's plenty resistant to petroleum products such as
what you're pumping (despite the possibility that it's "not approved"
for such use).

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Old 11-05-2009, 12:24 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in
:

"RBM" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
[...]

If you need to look over your shoulder in fear of an inspector checking the
type of hose you're using, it time to move

Old 11-05-2009, 12:44 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On May 10, 3:01*pm, "James" wrote:
I need to transfer K1 *kerosene from my delivery trailer to my tank *50 ft
away. * I have priced hoses made for fuels, and a 50 ft length is *$200-300.

Any reason why I cannot us a commercial grade, *3/4 inch hose like the one
shown in this link ? *This hose would be used ***only** *for this purpose,
and would be used no more than two times a year.

Any comments or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

James

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...roduct_6970_20...

You could always try getting a sample piece of hose and soaking in
kerosine for a couple of days to see if it swells, dissolves or
degrades.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:43 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 May 2009 16:44:28 -0700 (PDT), Frank
wrote:

On May 10, 3:01*pm, "James" wrote:
I need to transfer K1 *kerosene from my delivery trailer to my tank *50 ft
away. * I have priced hoses made for fuels, and a 50 ft length is *$200-300.

Any reason why I cannot us a commercial grade, *3/4 inch hose like the one

Or a cheap one. What do commerical grade water hoses have that cheap
grade don't?

shown in this link ? *This hose would be used ***only** *for this purpose,
and would be used no more than two times a year.

You could always try getting a sample piece of hose and soaking in
kerosine for a couple of days to see if it swells, dissolves or
degrades.

Good idea.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:15 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

It might work. Hose is rather special stuff, and plastics/rubber can
swell and fail very quickly in petroleum service. I think there is a
good reason a proper hose costs a bit of money..for the required
materials. I'd recommend getting hose certified for your service.

If you choose water hose then please let us know what happens

EJ in NJ

Old 11-05-2009, 02:37 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 May 2009 15:01:23 -0400, "James"
wrote:

I need to transfer K1 kerosene from my delivery trailer to my tank 50 ft
away. I have priced hoses made for fuels, and a 50 ft length is $200-300.

Any reason why I cannot us a commercial grade, 3/4 inch hose like the one
shown in this link ? This hose would be used **only** for this purpose,
and would be used no more than two times a year.

Any comments or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

James

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8424_200218424

It would help to know what the hose is made of. The pictured black
hose may be made of nitrile rubber. If so it has excellent chemical
compatibility to kerosene.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:42 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

First of all, how much fuel, how often? Are a couple of trips with a 5
gallon can realistic or are we talking hundreds/thousands of gallons?

Next, is there any possibility of getting the trailer closer?

If all else fails, you could buy fuel line from an auto store for $1-2
a foot, and I'd bet you could probably order it for a bit less.