Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Default Novice needs advice-Preparing soil for turf

So glad I found this forum. I will apologise straight away as I am a complete novice at gardening in general and could use some advice.

We've moved into a new house and the lawn is in a bad state so we have decide that it is the best to kill it off and re turf. Once I kill the lawn and weeds, I was told by a friend that I would need to hire a rotavator to churn up the earth, rake it and pull out clumps and weeds etc, and then put a top soil down. Is this about right? I just want to be sure I am being pointed in the right direction!!

I've read on websites about soil improvers. Is that something I would use in addition to the top soil? Also, and idea how long to wait bewteen putting weed/lawn killer down and proceeding with turf laying? I read somewhere that it should be about 6 weeks?

Many thanks for any responses

Preparing clay for turf Helen J Lawns 3 27-02-2010 03:19 PM
Help needed in preparing soil for turf Jaybee Lawns 0 11-07-2007 03:39 PM
Preparing weeded area for turf. richthesparky Lawns 8 08-05-2006 12:24 PM
Preparing weeded area for turf richthesparky United Kingdom 1 04-05-2006 02:40 PM
beginner needs help on preparing the soil audrey Gardening 12 17-03-2003 10:44 AM