Old 20-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Norfolk, UK
Default Honda HF2218H

Hi All

I have recently just moved to a property with a large Garden around 2 acres. after reading through alot of Information on the net about Ride On Mowers I finally took the plunge and purchased a secondhand Honda HF2218H..

everything seems fine with the mower when cutting on a level plain but when I need to pull up a small slope in the garden it starts to vibrate and sounds quite noisey? I'm certain its not the engine making this noise but was thinking it could be the drive belt slipping although there is no squeal? it also seems to struggle up the slope but once its cleared the top its fine again and all the noise and vibration stops...

this model is a Hydrostatic with two belts that both look like they have seen better days, the drive belt for the cutter is quite loose until I engage the cutter then all the slack is taken up, the main drive belt from the bottom of the engine seems to have a tensioner but it does seem like there is planty more to tighten....

Any Advice would be gladly apreciated..

Many Thanks

Tony
Old 22-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Norfolk, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper65 View Post
[...]

Surely there must be someone with some knowledge about Ride On Mowers on the site?
Old 24-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Norfolk, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper65 View Post
Surely there must be someone with some knowledge about Ride On Mowers on the site?
I take it no one has experienced their Ride On Tractor "judder" under load? this Honda Mower did it again today while driving up a small incline, the engine sounds fine but it seems to struggle up hills I would of otherwise thought is should manage easy.......
Old 27-10-2009, 01:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

jasper65 wrote:
jasper65;867654 Wrote:
Surely there must be someone with some knowledge about Ride On Mowers on
the site?

I take it no one has experienced their Ride On Tractor "judder" under
load? this Honda Mower did it again today while driving up a small
incline, the engine sounds fine but it seems to struggle up hills I
would of otherwise thought is should manage easy.......

The belt is shot. You said so in your first post. Replace it and keep on
going. What more do you want anyone to tell you?

--
Art
Old 30-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Norfolk, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
The belt is shot. You said so in your first post. Replace it and keep on
going. What more do you want anyone to tell you?

--
Art
what I put in my previouse post was guess work, I'm no Ride On Mower boffin by any means.....

cheers for the confirmation its much apreciated.......

Old 01-11-2009, 08:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

jasper65 wrote:
Art;867982 Wrote:
The belt is shot. You said so in your first post. Replace it and keep on

going. What more do you want anyone to tell you?

--
Art

what I put in my previouse post was guess work, I'm no Ride On Mower
boffin by any means.....

cheers for the confirmation its much apreciated.......

You have the advantage of seeing and experiencing it. Your guess work is
going to be far more accurate than any "boffin" on Usenet.

--
Art
Old 02-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Registered User

Location: Norfolk, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
You have the advantage of seeing and experiencing it. Your guess work is
going to be far more accurate than any "boffin" on Usenet.

--
Art
Guess work doesn't often solve problems! advice from people who have experenced simular situations can often take you straight to point of the cause, Perhaps asking for advice on forums is a thing of the past if we can all guess correctly.......
Old 20-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Registered User

Hi,

Sorry for the delay but i've been away for a while!

Its hard to tell with these type of problems without seeing the machine due to the vast array of possibilities but I would say you are on the right track for starters. Trouble is you have a Hydro system to take in to consideration as well....

The Hydro Pump is belt driven, the juddering and vibration could be down to a week tensioner pulley / spring causing the pulley to bouce erratically when under load. Locate the pulleys + springs and walk along side the machine while someone drives it up the incline to force the problem and watch for this happening.

Secondly it could be the Hydro pump itself. If the seals are starting to go internaly it would drive fine until either the unit / fluid gets warm or the hydro unit gets put under increased load (like pulling up a hill). Which would also be a good indication of why it was sold in the first place! Check at the rear of the machine for the Hydro Fluid reservoir and make sure theres the right amount of fluid in there for starters and let me know what you've found.

If you need any Honda spare parts check out www.jungle-busters.co.uk and if the parts you need are not listed you will need to call them on 0191 4692020 along with the chassis number to ensure you are getting the right parts sent out for your model of tractor.

Hope this helps
Old 20-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Registered User

PS - New Hydro Transmission Unit for one of those tractors is £1060.00 + VAT so I hope you can find a solution

Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered User

Location: Norfolk, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mechanic* View Post
[...]

If you need any Honda spare parts check out Lawnmower World - The home of Quality new garden machinery Spares + Repairs + Service and if the parts you need are not listed you will need to call them on 0191 4692020 along with the chassis number to ensure you are getting the right parts sent out for your model of tractor.

Hope this helps
Hello Mechanic

just seen this reply! thankyou for the information abot the mower. I borrowed a small John Deere for a good while which has now gone back which leaves me useing the Honda 2218H again.

I replaced the drive belt which seemed to help a small amount but still hasn't cured the problem, my next move is to check the oil in the Hydro pump which Unfortunatley I can't seem to find the drain or top up bolt? I have looked at the rear of the Hydro caseing and can't find anything that resemble a fill plug or a drain plug below?

the mower still slips when in drive and somtimes slows to a snails pace expecially when hot and after pulling up a Hill? the funny thing is if I then reverse the mower the hydro system works perfect and it pulls like a train, after being in reverse if I then go forward it works perfect again for a small amount of time.

any advice would be much apreciated.

Jasper
Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Registered User

[...]

Hi again Jasper,

Your Hydro box has had it! It now comes down to which version of the Honda HF2218H you have. Find the chassis numbers - if yours is an HF2218H K1 you've had it.... the gearbox is only available as a complete unit at over £1000 but if you have an HF2218H K2 there IS a Header Tank for topping up fluid levels and all internal parts are available which means it can be repaired.

Hope this helps a little more

Honda HRB425 VFRMark Lawns 2 27-11-2003 07:42 AM
Valve clearances for Honda mower Mark Atanovich Lawns 3 16-03-2003 09:32 PM
Honda Harmony Riding Mower Electrode Lawns 0 15-02-2003 07:35 PM
Drive Belt Tension on Honda Mower? Brian Feldmann Lawns 2 26-11-2002 04:02 AM
help required for honda motor mower Laurie United Kingdom 1 22-10-2002 10:10 AM