Old 27-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Registered User

Default Moss and Clovers

I have some very persistent moss and clover, plus some other horrid weeds, in my lawn. My parents helped me treat is a few years ago, which helped, but the problems are back with a vengeance.

Apart from ripping it up and starting again, what should I do?

The lawn is 7 years old, was turf, probably cheap, and on good soil, but likely full of builders waste (the borders and patio were a nightmare to dig).

Cannot afford to waste my money doing the wrong things. Do not want a fantastic lawn, just a nice grassy, neat lawn with no moss or weeds, so my son can enjoy it more.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Registered User

I do suggest that you start over again. As what you have said you don't want to waste money for that. So why not clean the lawn all by yourself, get off all the moss and clovers that are on the lawn. And after doing that plant the lawn with Bermuda grass so that it will look grassy and neat.
Keep your lawn as clean and dry as possible so that your child could enjoy more in it.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Salem, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Claire View Post
I do suggest that you start over again. As what you have said you don't want to waste money for that. So why not clean the lawn all by yourself, get off all the moss and clovers that are on the lawn. And after doing that plant the lawn with Bermuda grass so that it will look grassy and neat.
Keep your lawn as clean and dry as possible so that your child could enjoy more in it.
I hate to agree with the above comment previously made, but I do think you need to start over too. And depending on what region you live, the shade, etc...will depend on what type of grass you use.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Registered User

Location: UK

[quote=jonbey;868062]I have some very persistent moss and clover, plus some other horrid weeds, in my lawn. My parents helped me treat is a few years ago, which helped, but the problems are back with a vengeance.

Apart from ripping it up and starting again, what should I do?

The lawn is 7 years old, was turf, probably cheap, and on good soil, but likely full of builders waste (the borders and patio were a nightmare to dig).

QUOTE]

You have weeds and moss because of 1/ the way you care for your lawn 2/ the local environment - perhaps shady or damp and 3/ the climate

The fact the lawn is 7 year old cheap turf is not going to make a lot of difference. Premium turf would do exactly the same in the same conditions! The builders rubble may or may not be a problem and your 'good soil' may be a problem if it is 'good clay soil'!

If it's not the soil or rubble causing the problem, and it certainly isn't the cheap turf then why rip it up? You need to a/ learn how to care for the lawn 2/ try and change some of the 'moss & weed causing environmental conditions' 3/ apply weed and moss control measures. Go to http://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/enthusias...-moss-in-lawns for help.

Buttercup Clovers YMC[_2_] Australia 0 13-06-2008 07:01 AM
dandelions and clovers Peter Pan[_3_] Lawns 6 24-04-2008 09:04 PM
Fissidens moss, riccia and other plants, co2 reactors and african cichlids. dkosnow Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 17-05-2007 10:05 PM
Clovers Padraig Garden Photos 4 21-02-2007 10:40 AM
[IBC] Moss dressing pots was : culitvating moss on a large scale Kev Bailey Bonsai 2 20-07-2005 03:59 PM