Old 02-06-2010, 03:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Default Chipmunks

Hi all,
I seem to be having a excessive amount of chipmunks around my house. I
started catching them in my have a heart trap and letting them go about 1
1/2 miles away from my house in a nice wooded area. In the past week I have
caught 6 of them. My father and wife think it's the same ones coming back
again. My wife being the wise girl that she is also says they like going for
a ride in my pickup truck. What do you all think? Is it possible they are
finding their way back to my house? Would it help if dropped them off
farther away? Thanks for reading my post.
Big Duke

Old 02-06-2010, 03:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 22:00:16 -0400, "Big Duke"
wrote:

Hi all,
I seem to be having a excessive amount of chipmunks around my house. I
started catching them in my have a heart trap and letting them go about 1
1/2 miles away from my house in a nice wooded area. In the past week I have
caught 6 of them. My father and wife think it's the same ones coming back
again. My wife being the wise girl that she is also says they like going for
a ride in my pickup truck. What do you all think? Is it possible they are
finding their way back to my house? Would it help if dropped them off
farther away? Thanks for reading my post.
Big Duke

Amazing... someone named *Big Duke* is ascared of widdle chipmonks.
LOL

Chipmonks are living around your house because there exists a food
supply for them, there will only be a population that the existing
food supply can accomodate. Chipmonks are very territorial so won't
allow their population to increase. Removing some won't help, some
may return but otherwise new inhabitants will replace them. If you
all of a sudden notice an increase in the chipmonk population then
someone is feeding them, bird feeders and dog/cat food are the usual
culprits.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

On 6/1/10 7:00 PM, Big Duke wrote:
Hi all,
I seem to be having a excessive amount of chipmunks around my house. I
started catching them in my have a heart trap and letting them go about 1
1/2 miles away from my house in a nice wooded area. In the past week I have
caught 6 of them. My father and wife think it's the same ones coming back
again. My wife being the wise girl that she is also says they like going for
a ride in my pickup truck. What do you all think? Is it possible they are
finding their way back to my house? Would it help if dropped them off
farther away? Thanks for reading my post.
Big Duke

I use a Havahart trap, which I use to catch squirrels. When I catch
them, I drive 5 miles across a freeway to let them loose in the Santa
Monica Mountains National Recreation Area. There are many hungry
coyotes, owls, and hawks there. And there are 10 lanes of never-ending
traffic if they want to cross the freeway.

However, something was reaching through the cage wires and stealing the
bait. I wrapped 1/4-inch steel mesh around the end of the trap where
the bait is set. Something tore or chewed through the mesh and stole
more bait. I packaged the bait in another piece of the steel mesh and
put it into the trap. Yesterday, I found the package on my back lawn.
It was not opened, but the bait was gone.

I now have fruit starting to ripen. I want to eat more of it than the
squirrels. I made a small box of the 1/4-inch steel mesh with a hinged
lid and a catch to keep the lid closed. It also has a hook to fasten it
into the trap. The box is about 1 inch on each side. It's been 24
hours, and nothing has touched the trap yet.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 02-06-2010, 03:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
On 6/1/10 7:00 PM, Big Duke wrote:
Hi all,
I seem to be having a excessive amount of chipmunks around my house. I
started catching them in my have a heart trap and letting them go about 1
1/2 miles away from my house in a nice wooded area. In the past week I have
caught 6 of them. My father and wife think it's the same ones coming back
again. My wife being the wise girl that she is also says they like going for
a ride in my pickup truck. What do you all think? Is it possible they are
finding their way back to my house? Would it help if dropped them off
farther away? Thanks for reading my post.
Big Duke

I use a Havahart trap, which I use to catch squirrels.

I'm afraid I'm more heartless than that. Chipmunks are *the* favorite
food of my cats. Entertaining and tasty.

They seem like such nice gentle creatures but freeing them is hopeless
by the time I see them.

Unsure of the range, but I know that mice have no problem with a hundred
yards. I'm sure my brother recycled many many endlessly. I suspect that
such wanderers as possums will stay in one place if the food is good and
I've seen them return from several blocks.

A mile and a half seems pretty far, but why not mark one with a bit of
paint and see.

Jeff
Old 02-06-2010, 05:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

"Big Duke" wrote in message
Hi all,
I seem to be having a excessive amount of chipmunks around my house. I
started catching them in my have a heart trap and letting them go about 1
1/2 miles away from my house in a nice wooded area. In the past week I
have caught 6 of them. My father and wife think it's the same ones coming
back again. My wife being the wise girl that she is also says they like
going for a ride in my pickup truck. What do you all think? Is it
possible they are finding their way back to my house? Would it help if
dropped them off farther away? Thanks for reading my post.
Big Duke

If you can handle them, perhaps with leather gloves, you can mark them by
nipping off a chunk of fur.

Paul

Old 02-06-2010, 05:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

"Big Duke" wrote in message
Hi all,
I seem to be having a excessive amount of chipmunks around my house. I
started catching them in my have a heart trap and letting them go about 1
1/2 miles away from my house in a nice wooded area. In the past week I
have caught 6 of them. My father and wife think it's the same ones coming
back again. My wife being the wise girl that she is also says they like
going for a ride in my pickup truck. What do you all think? Is it
possible they are finding their way back to my house? Would it help if
dropped them off farther away? Thanks for reading my post.
Big Duke

I use a "give a shit" .22 on chipmunks and squirrels. They never come back.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook wrote:
"Big Duke" wrote in message
Hi all,
I seem to be having a excessive amount of chipmunks around my house. I
started catching them in my have a heart trap and letting them go about 1
1/2 miles away from my house in a nice wooded area. In the past week I
have caught 6 of them. My father and wife think it's the same ones coming
back again. My wife being the wise girl that she is also says they like
going for a ride in my pickup truck. What do you all think? Is it
possible they are finding their way back to my house? Would it help if
dropped them off farther away? Thanks for reading my post.
Big Duke

If you can handle them, perhaps with leather gloves, you can mark them by
nipping off a chunk of fur.

Paul

That sound like just the ticket. Catch a squirrel with or without
gloves. Maybe vice grips and scissors?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

In article ,
"Big Duke" wrote:

Hi all,
I seem to be having a excessive amount of chipmunks around my house. I
started catching them in my have a heart trap and letting them go about 1
1/2 miles away from my house in a nice wooded area. In the past week I have
caught 6 of them. My father and wife think it's the same ones coming back
again. My wife being the wise girl that she is also says they like going for
a ride in my pickup truck. What do you all think? Is it possible they are
finding their way back to my house? Would it help if dropped them off
farther away? Thanks for reading my post.
Big Duke

What is the problem with the chipmonks, fruit trees, pet food, what? Is
it something that chicken wire can't fix? If you have enough chipmonks,
a chipmonk predator WILL find its way to your house, eventually.
--
- Billy
Old 02-06-2010, 12:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Billy said:

What is the problem with the chipmonks, fruit trees, pet food, what? Is
it something that chicken wire can't fix?

For me, mainly tunnelling. Serious amounts of tunneling.

When we first moved here, we had red squirrels and no chipmunks.
Then, we had chipmunks move in and stopped seeing red squrirrels.
When I moved a whole bunch of chipmunks, the red squirrels returned.

I'd rather have red squirrels. No tunnels. More charisma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Red_Squirrel

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 02-06-2010, 01:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"Big Duke" wrote:

Hi all,
I seem to be having a excessive amount of chipmunks around my house. I
started catching them in my have a heart trap and letting them go about 1
1/2 miles away from my house in a nice wooded area. In the past week I have
caught 6 of them. My father and wife think it's the same ones coming back
again. My wife being the wise girl that she is also says they like going for
a ride in my pickup truck. What do you all think? Is it possible they are
finding their way back to my house? Would it help if dropped them off
farther away? Thanks for reading my post.
Big Duke

What is the problem with the chipmonks, fruit trees, pet food, what? Is
it something that chicken wire can't fix? If you have enough chipmonks,
a chipmonk predator WILL find its way to your house, eventually.

That's true, I started with zero cats.

http://thelimit.biz/images_products/..._breakfast.jpg

http://thelimit.biz/images_products/...r_at_lunch.jpg

Jeff

Old 02-06-2010, 01:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

http://thelimit.biz/images_products/...r_at_lunch.jpg

Got an answer here but not a chipmunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiloZd1H4ow&NR=1

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 02-06-2010, 07:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

In article
,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Billy said:

What is the problem with the chipmonks, fruit trees, pet food, what? Is
it something that chicken wire can't fix?

For me, mainly tunnelling. Serious amounts of tunneling.

When we first moved here, we had red squirrels and no chipmunks.
Then, we had chipmunks move in and stopped seeing red squrirrels.
When I moved a whole bunch of chipmunks, the red squirrels returned.

I'd rather have red squirrels. No tunnels. More charisma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Red_Squirrel

Thanks for a serious answer.
--
- Billy
Old 02-06-2010, 07:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

http://thelimit.biz/images_products/...r_at_lunch.jpg

Got an answer here but not a chipmunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiloZd1H4ow&NR=1

You be gonna have troubles with that sucka. Glad I only have Grey
Squirrels to deal with.
--
- Billy

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
defense against squirrels and chipmunks seepnezorf1 Gardening 5 22-09-2003 01:14 AM
Chipmunks freddotr Lawns 21 09-08-2003 02:39 PM
chipmunks swim Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 0 12-05-2003 01:08 PM
*#^!$%& Chipmunks ate liner last winter Roger Bennett Ponds 9 22-04-2003 01:44 AM