Old 21-05-2003, 12:56 AM
donald girod

Default getting rid of an ant hill

By any chance, will sprinkling borax on an ant hill eliminate the colony
(assuming a few dry days)? I have a number of ant hills (the kind that will
get a couple of feet tall if you let them) starting in an area where I mow,
and this is fairly undesirable. They could just go somewhere else, but I
don't think they will. I think borax is effective against them, and it
seems to me that sprinkling it all over the exposed surface is going to mess
them up pretty good, but what do I know?

Old 21-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Patch

"donald girod" wrote in message
By any chance, will sprinkling borax on an ant hill eliminate the colony
(assuming a few dry days)? I have a number of ant hills (the kind that

will
get a couple of feet tall if you let them) starting in an area where I

mow,
and this is fairly undesirable. They could just go somewhere else, but I
don't think they will. I think borax is effective against them, and it
seems to me that sprinkling it all over the exposed surface is going to

mess
them up pretty good, but what do I know?

What part of the country are you in & what kind of ants? If you're talking
about "fire-ants" they are hard to get rid of.

Old 21-05-2003, 11:44 PM

"Patch" wrote:
"donald girod" wrote in message
By any chance, will sprinkling borax on an ant hill eliminate the
colony (assuming a few dry days)? I have a number of ant hills (the
kind that

will
get a couple of feet tall if you let them) starting in an area where I

mow,
and this is fairly undesirable. They could just go somewhere else, but
I don't think they will. I think borax is effective against them, and
it seems to me that sprinkling it all over the exposed surface is going

mess
them up pretty good, but what do I know?

What part of the country are you in & what kind of ants? If you're
talking about "fire-ants" they are hard to get rid of.

Good point. Oftanol used to work well for most any ant (including fire).

I'm not sure of it's legal status right now, it's an organophosphate.

Most organo's are on their way out now, beacuse of over use and their
colinesteras (motor function) inhibiting ability. Bird kill is another
reason. I'm drifting from the topic now.

If Oftanol is still available, and borax doesn't work, try the big O.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 21-05-2003, 11:44 PM

"Jimmy Bundrick" wrote:
read this: http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/pc1.htm

HA! Try moping up fire or carpenter ants, Jimmy.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old 22-05-2003, 01:32 PM
donald girod

I'm in western New York state, and the ants are ordinary black ants. They
are not really a problem as such when they set up shop in the woods, but a
nuisance under the lawnmower.

Old 23-05-2003, 01:56 AM
I am

On Thu, 22 May 2003 08:18:33 -0400, "donald girod"
wrote:

I'm in western New York state, and the ants are ordinary black ants. They
are not really a problem as such when they set up shop in the woods, but a
nuisance under the lawnmower.

I'm serious when I say this, try gasoline. (Yes, I know) Poor a
small amount of gas over the top of the hill and let it soak in and
don't light it. You will kill the queen and most of the nest in short
order.
Old 23-05-2003, 02:08 AM

wrote:

I'm in western New York state, and the ants are ordinary black ants.
They are not really a problem as such when they set up shop in the
woods, but a nuisance under the lawnmower.

I'm serious when I say this, try gasoline. (Yes, I know) Poor a
small amount of gas over the top of the hill and let it soak in and
don't light it. You will kill the queen and most of the nest in short
order.

Oh yea. Gasoline has a very toxic ld/50. Lots of pesticides are petrolium
related.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 26-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Leroy

Carpenter ants were easy for me. I must have had thousands of them in my
garage only. I could hear them crunching on the wood. and i was 4 feet away
from them.
I could see them makeing there way to the area above the garage. I used
broom handle to bump stuff around to see if it made a difference. they were
nesting in a hollow core door. I went a bought some ant killer and sprayed
the area good then got some gasoline and put it in a safe area on the
gravel driveway and got the water hose ready to put out a grass fire. Drug
the door out while freaking out that they would pour out of there and eat me
up like they do cows in africa. i gently put the door down and poured gas in
the only crack on the one side and the door hinge holes. put the gas can 10
feet away. stood back a flipped matches at it. Those were herking ants. they
came out of the flames and headed to the house i had more ant spray for
those. the door was still freaking me out. the ant kept comming out and the
flames were gone. I had to wait until i was sure no more flames existed or
risk putting myself on the darwinian award list. i doused the door again and
again the ants pour out of there like they were headed for the crazy day
sales. i had to stomp some of them becase i could get to the spray as fast
as they were moving. There was enough ants in that door to carry the door
with a load of ants on top.

My suggestion when you have carpenter ants is find the wood they prefere and
get a hollow core door for them to feed on and nest in and after a few weeks
maybe you can get a bag of plastic big enough to put the door in and gas
them with a ant fog. The method i tried was out of desperation because of
nightmares of carpenter ants eating my house up.