Old 02-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Tim Fischer

Default Duckweed in pond

I should probably try the ponds group, but I don't subscribe to it so I
thought I'd try here first.

We have a pond, slightly less than 1/4 acre, which has a serious duckweed
infestation issue. Last year when we took over the property, it looked like
a golf green. This year we put in a floating fountain, but the duckweed is
still fighting hard, which sometimes clogs the fountain. I fear by fall it
will be about as bad as last year.

Pulling the stuff out manually is like draining the ocean with a shotglass.
So I fear I'll have to resort to chemical means. So my questions:

1) In doing surfing, it seems that Sonar is the chemical to use, but it's
$$$EXPENSIVE$$$ (I actually saw it for $1900 a gallon!) Second choice is
Reward, which is still expensive but more like $100 a gallon. Anyone have
any experience with this stuff? Does it work?

2) If I *do* chemically treat with Reward, will I have to do it every year?
Or will tackling the problem this year (or a few years) get rid of it for
the most part?

Surfing for info on ponds is difficult, since most postings consider "ponds"
to be like 500 gallons, and ours is much larger.

Thanks!
-Tim

Old 02-06-2003, 12:32 PM

"Tim Fischer" wrote:
[...]

Hi Tim, this isn't my area of expertise but I did a google search
and came up with this product. It appears less expensive than
the products you mentioned, but I'm not sure after you figure
the coverage per gallon. Anyway, here's a link.

http://tinyurl.com/d8mx

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 03-06-2003, 03:22 AM
Judy

wrote in message
"Tim Fischer" wrote:
[...]

Or, you could get a few ducks. It works great and if you like ducks, can be
nice. The down side is, that if you ever get rid of the ducks, it will grow
back twice as fast. And there is the duck poop to consider.
Judy

Old 03-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Tim Fischer

"Judy" wrote in message
Or, you could get a few ducks. It works great and if you like ducks, can

be
nice. The down side is, that if you ever get rid of the ducks, it will

grow
back twice as fast. And there is the duck poop to consider.

We have plenty of ducks flying in and out. Alas, they don't eat nearly
enough duckweed...

-Tim

Old 04-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Dave G

I've sprayed for duckweed in the past and had good luck with Diquat.
A word of caution, if you have fish treat half the pond and wait a
week before doing the other half. The Diquat doesn't hurt the fish
(when used according to the label) but the decomposing weeds will
deplete oxygen from the water.

Old 05-06-2003, 12:32 AM

wrote:
Hi Tim, this isn't my area of expertise but I did a google search
and came up with this product. It appears less expensive than
the products you mentioned, but I'm not sure after you figure
the coverage per gallon. Anyway, here's a link.

http://tinyurl.com/d8mx

Did you check out that product, Tim? That $199 is for a case(4 gallons)
of concentrate. (plus the friggin shipping)

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 06-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Tim Fischer

wrote in message
Did you check out that product, Tim? That $199 is for a case(4 gallons)
of concentrate. (plus the friggin shipping)

We ended up signing a contract for a local service to take care of the pond
this year. It was $360 for the summer, which handles all submersed weeds,
algae, and duckweed. They claim they will come by every 3-4 weeks to check
up and do treatments when necessary. This was a bit more spendy than I had
hoped for, but at least we should have a clear pond in a few weeks. And
maybe I can watch them apply it and gather some knowledge to do it ourselves
in a future year.

Thanks (to all) for the tips though!

-Tim

Old 06-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Dave G

Wow that sounds like a good deal. Given the cost of copper sulfate,
Rodeo, and Diquat you will probably come out ahead of the game.

One suggestion......put in a fountain or waterfall or even just some
stupid pipe shooting water into the pond. The aereationsp greatly
reduces the need for weed and algae control.