Old 08-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Nathan staples

Default Zoysia Grass

Does anyone recommend this grass?

Old 08-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Chaim Aryeh Sharfman

Nathan staples wrote:
Does anyone recommend this grass?

It depends on what you want to do with it. It stays dormant 6 months of
the year. When it is green it is very low maintenance, usually needs
mowing about once a month. It wears like iron, but if ever damaged is
very slow to recover. It will tolerate more shade than bermudagrass,
but less than fine fescue. It is also salt tolerant.

Oh, yeah........it's also expensive, usually 3X as much as fescue or
bluegrass and about double the price of bermuda.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Scott Downey

In Hampton VA, zoysia grows and stays green until December. It greens up
again in early May.

The one we have is coarser and hardier than Emerald and is most likely
Meyer. Your best grass bet for the least maintenance required.

"Nathan staples" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Does anyone recommend this grass?

Old 11-06-2003, 09:08 PM
brianb

"Scott Downey" wrote in message news:3ee37980_4@newsfeed...
In Hampton VA, zoysia grows and stays green until December. It greens up
again in early May.

The one we have is coarser and hardier than Emerald and is most likely
Meyer. Your best grass bet for the least maintenance required.

Really? Interesting. I'm in central Georgia, so I expect it would be
green most of the year.

How does Zoysia do in shade? Do you cut with a regular or reel mower?

I'm thinking of seeding with Zoysia. I have to rototill my yard
though, first.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Sean

Hi brianb,

I live in the burbs of Atlanta and have a zoysia lawn. It performs well in
full sun, the shaded thin out over time (it was a sod job done approximately
7 years ago). I cut my lawn with a regular mower, mulching in the spring
and bagging as the temperatures increase (the growth is much faster in the
summer months). My lawn does go dormant in the early months of winter and
begins to green up in late March. It is very lush and I keep it mowed at 1
to 1 1/2 inches throughout the growing season, unless drought conditions
prevail; which has not been the case in this rainy spring season here in
Georgia north of Macon.

HTH,

Sean

m...

Old 14-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Scott Downey

There is only one variety of zoysia you can grow from seed.
Everything else is sod or plugs.

You can keep on plugging your zoysia to spread it around.

"Sean" wrote in message
Hi brianb,

I live in the burbs of Atlanta and have a zoysia lawn. It performs well

in
full sun, the shaded thin out over time (it was a sod job done

approximately
7 years ago). I cut my lawn with a regular mower, mulching in the spring
and bagging as the temperatures increase (the growth is much faster in the
summer months). My lawn does go dormant in the early months of winter and
begins to green up in late March. It is very lush and I keep it mowed at

1
to 1 1/2 inches throughout the growing season, unless drought conditions
prevail; which has not been the case in this rainy spring season here in
Georgia north of Macon.

HTH,

Sean

m...

In Hampton VA, zoysia grows and stays green until December. It greens

up
again in early May.

The one we have is coarser and hardier than Emerald and is most likely
Meyer. Your best grass bet for the least maintenance required.

Really? Interesting. I'm in central Georgia, so I expect it would be
green most of the year.

How does Zoysia do in shade? Do you cut with a regular or reel mower?

I'm thinking of seeding with Zoysia. I have to rototill my yard
though, first.

Shade + Large Dog = New Grass Needed Redux. Zoysia? [email protected] Texas 20 06-03-2007 04:00 PM
Amazoy (Zoysia) grass anyone? Ablang Gardening 16 21-03-2004 05:32 PM
Zoysia vs Bermuda grass Clem Gardening 2 06-06-2003 06:32 PM
Zoysia Grass Ross Lawns 7 05-05-2003 10:56 PM
Zoysia grass Ablang Gardening 4 24-02-2003 04:15 PM