Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Gene Moon

Default Is it too late to water my lawn?

I had surgery about three weeks ago and since then I have not watered my
lawn. For obvious reasons, my lawn is now all yellowed out with a few
patches of green here and there.

I live in Oklahoma and the weather had been very hot lately.

Is there a way to resurrect this grass? I am recovered from surgery and
therefore can go back out there and try to work again if possible to revive
the grass.

Thanks
Gene

Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM

"Gene Moon" wrote:
I had surgery about three weeks ago and since then I have not watered my
lawn. For obvious reasons, my lawn is now all yellowed out with a few
patches of green here and there.

I live in Oklahoma and the weather had been very hot lately.

Is there a way to resurrect this grass? I am recovered from surgery and
therefore can go back out there and try to work again if possible to
revive the grass.

Thanks
Gene

Never too late, just be sure it's getting at least one inch of water
per week if you're going to start now.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old 14-07-2003, 09:52 AM
Die Spammer !!!

Gene Moon wrote:

I had surgery about three weeks ago and since then I have not watered my
lawn. For obvious reasons, my lawn is now all yellowed out with a few
patches of green here and there.

I live in Oklahoma and the weather had been very hot lately.

Is there a way to resurrect this grass? I am recovered from surgery and
therefore can go back out there and try to work again if possible to revive
the grass.

Thanks
Gene

water for 10 -15 minutes every day and you will notice reqrowth in a week maybe
less

Old 14-07-2003, 04:45 PM
Tom J

"Die Spammer !!!" wrote in message
Gene Moon wrote:

I had surgery about three weeks ago and since then I have not watered my
lawn. For obvious reasons, my lawn is now all yellowed out with a few
patches of green here and there.

I live in Oklahoma and the weather had been very hot lately.

Is there a way to resurrect this grass? I am recovered from surgery and
therefore can go back out there and try to work again if possible to

revive
the grass.

Thanks
Gene

water for 10 -15 minutes every day and you will notice reqrowth in a week

maybe
less

Watering 10 - 15 minutes a day is not the way to water grass in OK for sure.
That much watering would evaporate before it ever got to a grass root. He
needs to put out several containers to catch water and sprinkle until at
least 1/2 inch of water is in the containers if they have straight up sides,
more if tapered sides. I'd say the amount now should be about 1 inch to get
top moisture to meet ground moisture that may be 6 or 8 inches down.

Tom J

Old 14-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Chet Hayes

When a lawn doesn't get sufficient water, it goes dormant and turns
brown. It's not dead and can survive a long time like that.

If you're going to water, it should be watered deeply every 4 to 7
days depending on temps, type of soil, etc. That means it needs about
an inch of water. With a typical sprinkler system that means over an
hour per zone. You can put out some cut out tuna cans to measure the
amount. Most people have no conception of how much water they are
even putting down.

The worst thing you can do is water it a little each day. Ten or
fifteen minutes only wets the surface, most of that evaporates. That
practice will only encourage disease, fungus, and shallow roots.

Old 15-07-2003, 01:12 AM
Gene Moon

That is what I have been doing Tom, I have been watering an inch every four
days. Does sound about right to you?

Gene

Old 15-07-2003, 01:12 AM

"Gene Moon" wrote:
That is what I have been doing Tom, I have been watering an inch every
four days. Does sound about right to you?

Gene

That's plenty, Gene. Have you put any product on your lawn lately?

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 15-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Tom J

"Gene Moon" wrote in message
That is what I have been doing Tom, I have been watering an inch every

four
days. Does sound about right to you?

Gene

Scratch down and see if you still have moisture a 1/2 inch below the
surface. If so, you may want to go a little longer between putting down on
inch, or cut back to 3/4 or 1/2 to maintain moisture. Just don't cut back
to the 15 minute thing!!

Tom J

Old 17-07-2003, 04:52 AM
Lasher

I water 3 times a day when its very hot. At 4am,12pm,8pm. For about 45
minutes each time. If I do less than this my lawn gets fried. I tryed the 1
inch per week thing and that is for the birds when its really hot. That is a
good rule of thumb if the temp is around 70 to 80F consistently. Your grass
needs a good drink after every baking on a daily basis until it cools down
or rains.

Lasher

om...

Old 17-07-2003, 05:06 AM

"Lasher" wrote:
I water 3 times a day when its very hot. At 4am,12pm,8pm. For about 45
minutes each time. If I do less than this my lawn gets fried. I tryed the
1 inch per week thing and that is for the birds when its really hot. That
is a good rule of thumb if the temp is around 70 to 80F consistently.
Your grass needs a good drink after every baking on a daily basis until
it cools down or rains.

Lasher

It depends -greatly- on where you live.

(you wreck the thread with your top posting).

--
GO# 40
Old 17-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Bob

wrote in message

(you wreck the thread with your top posting).

Not true.

Bob

Old 17-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Chet Hayes

I don't know what kind of flow rate you have. But with 45 minutes on
a very hot day and a typical system, much of that water just
evaporates. What makes it to the roots, just encourages shallow root
growth, which means the lawn requires even more water.

A deep watering as frequently as needed is the best practice. It
encourages deep roots and lessens disease and fungus. Generally,
that's 4-7 days depending on soil condition. If it's very hot, then
maybe even more frequently, but I have yet to see a lawn that required
watering 3 times a day. Are you putting nitrogen on it in that kind
of weather?

Old 17-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Bob

wrote in message

(you wreck the thread with your top posting).

Not true.

Bob

How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
Too late to seed lawn ? Curiosity United Kingdom 2 11-10-2004 01:32 PM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM