Old 31-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Doug Kanter

Default What's a rabbit's favorite food?

I've got a rabbit in my yard who thinks I'm running a salad bar. I'm
borrowing a Havahart trap this evening. I know a couple of sure-fire ways to
lure a squirrel into one of those, but not a rabbit. The bait's got to be
something tastier than my lettuce & broccoli leaves. Anyone got any ideas?
I'd try a carrot, but I wonder if rabbits are tired of being stereotyped
based on Bugs Bunny cartoons.

Old 31-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Boboed

On Tue, 31 May 2005 16:54:23 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

I've got a rabbit in my yard who thinks I'm running a salad bar. I'm
borrowing a Havahart trap this evening. I know a couple of sure-fire ways to
lure a squirrel into one of those, but not a rabbit. The bait's got to be
something tastier than my lettuce & broccoli leaves. Anyone got any ideas?
I'd try a carrot, but I wonder if rabbits are tired of being stereotyped
based on Bugs Bunny cartoons.

It's the carrot tops they like. There's nothing sure fire I know but
violence.

Old 31-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote:

I've got a rabbit in my yard who thinks I'm running a salad bar. I'm
borrowing a Havahart trap this evening. I know a couple of sure-fire ways
lure a squirrel into one of those, but not a rabbit. The bait's got to be
something tastier than my lettuce & broccoli leaves. Anyone got any ideas?
I'd try a carrot, but I wonder if rabbits are tired of being stereotyped
based on Bugs Bunny cartoons.

It's the carrot tops they like. There's nothing sure fire I know but
violence.

I have a rotator cuff injury that's wreaking havoc on my shooting skills.
So, at the moment, I'm stuck with the trap. :-)

Old 31-05-2005, 11:41 PM
paghat

wrote:

I've got a rabbit in my yard who thinks I'm running a salad bar. I'm
borrowing a Havahart trap this evening. I know a couple of sure-fire ways
lure a squirrel into one of those, but not a rabbit. The bait's got to be
something tastier than my lettuce & broccoli leaves. Anyone got any ideas?
I'd try a carrot, but I wonder if rabbits are tired of being stereotyped
based on Bugs Bunny cartoons.

It's the carrot tops they like. There's nothing sure fire I know but
violence.

I have a rotator cuff injury that's wreaking havoc on my shooting skills.
So, at the moment, I'm stuck with the trap. :-)

I'm a vegetarian & have been for 30+ years, but my great-grampa ran a
rabbitry & when I was a kid I ate rabbit, both farm-raised, & hunted out
on the San Juans. So I would not be horrified to learn some gardener shot
a rabbit, if they at least didn't waste the meat afterward.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 01-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Doug Kanter

"paghat" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

OK....well, I'm not sure I want to kill the bunny because I have this thing
about cute ears. But I still need to get it into the trap. Other than carrot
greens, got any suggestions? I just bought a 3 lb bag of organic carrots
yesterday. The last thing I need right now is to go buy another bunch of
carrots just for the greens. I can only eat so many carrot muffins, glazed
carrots, carrots in salad, carrot sticks.....

Old 01-06-2005, 04:09 AM
Dick Adams

A rabbit's favorite food is whatever vegatables are available:
Lettuce, carrots, cabbage - they aren't that fussy.

Dick
Old 01-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Doug Kanter

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:07:16 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

opined:

OK....well, I'm not sure I want to kill the bunny because I have this
thing
about cute ears. But I still need to get it into the trap. Other than
carrot
greens, got any suggestions? I just bought a 3 lb bag of organic carrots
yesterday. The last thing I need right now is to go buy another bunch of
carrots just for the greens. I can only eat so many carrot muffins, glazed
carrots, carrots in salad, carrot sticks.....

Just last week we noticed we have a rabbit in our garden. I was
delighted, but
then feared it would reproduce and what then? So, I just leave it. This
cute
thing is not that afraid of me as I've been as close as five feet and it
just
stays there chewing it's shoots. It seems to like the shoots of my St.
Augustine, which is fine by me.

The other night, last night as a matter of fact, my husband was outside
smoking
a cigarette (poor guy) and he heard some rumpling in one of our brush
piles. So,
he got out the Maglight and he saw two foxes in the backyard! I asked him
ten
times if he was sure they weren't opossums or skunks, but no, he said they
were
definitely foxes. One larger than the other.

I am vegetarian, on my way to becoming vegan and I hope people would
reconsider
killing things in nature. It truly is such a non-virtue and creates such
horrible conditions for the killing person.

Victoria

I can't seem to find an answer to my question in your essay, V. Are you
suggesting that the bunny might like a couple of cigarettes? :-)

Old 01-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Doug Kanter

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
A rabbit's favorite food is whatever vegatables are available:
Lettuce, carrots, cabbage - they aren't that fussy.

Dick

Fine. Tonight, I'll be making salad for dinner. I'll make one for the bunny,
too. Maybe I'll leave out the red onions & pepperoncini, though.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Doug Kanter said:

OK....well, I'm not sure I want to kill the bunny because I have this thing
about cute ears. But I still need to get it into the trap. Other than carrot
greens, got any suggestions? I just bought a 3 lb bag of organic carrots
yesterday. The last thing I need right now is to go buy another bunch of
carrots just for the greens. I can only eat so many carrot muffins, glazed
carrots, carrots in salad, carrot sticks.....

You can usually cut the top end of a carrot off and stick it in a bit of
water to get some fresh greens to grow, if it hasn't been trimmed too
closely before being stuck in a cello pack...

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 01-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Doug Kanter said:

I've got a rabbit in my yard who thinks I'm running a salad bar. I'm
borrowing a Havahart trap this evening. I know a couple of sure-fire ways
to lure a squirrel into one of those, but not a rabbit. The bait's got to be
something tastier than my lettuce & broccoli leaves. Anyone got any ideas?
I'd try a carrot, but I wonder if rabbits are tired of being stereotyped
based on Bugs Bunny cartoons.

I'ved had some luck with fresh lettuce leaves sprinkled with vanilla
extract. Romaine lettuce leaves work best (mostly due to shape), set
in a small yogurt cup filled with water.

I remember reading an article by a scientist who studied cottontails
and had to live-trap them regularly. IIRC, he claimed that the best lure
was to have had another cottontail urinate in the trap!

If you are trying to protect ornamental plants, I recommend Ropel.

For vegetable gardens, a fence.

This company's advice and products have been useful to me in the past,
and this is their page on rabbits:

http://www.bugspray.com/articles99/rabbits.html

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 01-06-2005, 02:02 PM
VMWOOD

I'd say a rabbit's favorite food has to be my wifes tulips but you
might try an ear of corn.,

Marv-Montezuma, IA
http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood

Old 01-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Doug Kanter

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
news
Doug Kanter said:

OK....well, I'm not sure I want to kill the bunny because I have this
thing
about cute ears. But I still need to get it into the trap. Other than
carrot
greens, got any suggestions? I just bought a 3 lb bag of organic carrots
yesterday. The last thing I need right now is to go buy another bunch of
carrots just for the greens. I can only eat so many carrot muffins, glazed
carrots, carrots in salad, carrot sticks.....

You can usually cut the top end of a carrot off and stick it in a bit of
water to get some fresh greens to grow, if it hasn't been trimmed too
closely before being stuck in a cello pack...

Interesting project, but this trapping thing is going to begin this evening.
:-)

Old 01-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Cereus-validus.....

You ARE running a salad bar for rabbits.
You are the one now aware of it yet.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Doug Kanter

Or, my reality has been adjusted to correctness. :-)

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in message
m...
You ARE running a salad bar for rabbits.
You are the one now aware of it yet.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I've got a rabbit in my yard who thinks I'm running a salad bar. I'm
borrowing a Havahart trap this evening. I know a couple of sure-fire ways
to lure a squirrel into one of those, but not a rabbit. The bait's got to
be something tastier than my lettuce & broccoli leaves. Anyone got any
ideas? I'd try a carrot, but I wonder if rabbits are tired of being
stereotyped based on Bugs Bunny cartoons.

[IMG] code is On

Better Rabbit trap for those with rabbit problems Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 7 20-02-2004 10:02 PM
[IBC] Bonsai food (was: bonsai food gone bad.) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 20-01-2004 10:12 PM
Rabbit food! Lionel C. Abrahams Lawns 5 09-08-2003 01:13 PM
Koi Food Survey - Catfish food for $10.99 per 50 lb bag. ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 2 13-06-2003 02:32 PM
Help! Is it deer or rabbit food? Gina Gardening 2 25-05-2003 06:56 PM