Old 09-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Frederick Claus

Default Swamp Lawn

After evry rain, my backyard is a giant swamp. Behind the pool where the
ground slopes there is always a giant puddle. The rest of the lawn you can
not really tell it is swampy until you walk on it.

Any ideas as to how to fix it? Should I level out the yard with new dirt and
grass seed, or just dig a drainage ditch?

Also if I till the yard, level it and add new grass seed, how can I do that
and still allow my kids to play in the yard?

Thanks,
Frederick

Old 09-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Frederick Claus

What do you mean tile? I live in NY.

"grandfunkfan" wrote in message
tile. Where do you live?

Old 09-08-2003, 11:32 PM
vonroach

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 01:20:27 -0700, "Frederick Claus"
wrote:

After evry rain, my backyard is a giant swamp. Behind the pool where the
ground slopes there is always a giant puddle. The rest of the lawn you can
not really tell it is swampy until you walk on it.

Any ideas as to how to fix it? Should I level out the yard with new dirt and
grass seed, or just dig a drainage ditch?

Suggest a mixture of top soil and sand. Plain dirt gets muddy and makes it
worse. Avoid `bank sand' if possible (it tends to be salty). Good soil is pretty
expensive. After applied and leveled, then seed.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:42 AM

"Frederick Claus" wrote:
What do you mean tile? I live in NY.

I think he means drain tile.

--
GO# 40

Old 10-08-2003, 12:42 AM

wrote:

After evry rain, my backyard is a giant swamp. Behind the pool where the
ground slopes there is always a giant puddle. The rest of the lawn you
can not really tell it is swampy until you walk on it.

Any ideas as to how to fix it? Should I level out the yard with new dirt
and grass seed, or just dig a drainage ditch?

Suggest a mixture of top soil and sand. Plain dirt gets muddy and makes
it worse. Avoid `bank sand' if possible (it tends to be salty). Good soil
is pretty expensive. After applied and leveled, then seed.

It sounds like he needs drain tile, french drain, or some such.

--
GO# 40
Old 10-08-2003, 04:42 AM
grandfunkfan

Drainage tile.
http://www.hawkeyedraintile.com/Foun...oofing%201.htm

Old 10-08-2003, 03:05 PM
vonroach

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 06:09:26 -0700, "Frederick Claus"
wrote:

What do you mean tile? I live in NY.

State or city? Whether you live in Death Valley or on Pike's Peak there is a
level and a grade. You let the water follow the natural grade (say to a drainage
ditch or gutter) or you pump it out (as in New Orleans and Pt. Arthur (TX) -
both below sealevel and require constant pumps)
Old 10-08-2003, 03:14 PM
vonroach

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 03:39:50 GMT, grandfunkfan
wrote:

Drainage tile.

Lot of talk about `drainage' - another solution create a small pond garden or a
sand bottom wading pool for toddlers - here local ordinances have to be checked.
Actually, they need to be checked anyway - some areas of New England do not
allow drains to be installed.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:43 PM

wrote:

Drainage tile.

Lot of talk about `drainage' - another solution create a small pond
garden or a sand bottom wading pool for toddlers

Yea, pond scum can be fun for the little ones.

- here local ordinances
have to be checked. Actually, they need to be checked anyway - some areas
of New England do not allow drains to be installed.

He's in NY.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/