Old 31-08-2003, 09:42 PM
James Nipper

Default Lawn not responding to Fertilization -- Why ?

I normally use Scott's Turfbuilder. I apply it in the spring (around late
March) and within one week I can see my lawn greening and having more robust
growth. However, many times when I apply it in mid-August, I can tell
NO difference in the areas where I have applied it ( I have experimented by
skipping some areas). Of course, I always water properly, and I do have
years of experience in fertilizing, watering, etc.

This has happened to me in the past, but I can never figure it out. I put
down Scott's Turfbuilder in one specified area of my front lawn around
three weeks ago and watered it well, and I can tell absolutely NO
difference in the area fertilized. It is truly as though I did not
fertilize it. I am not having any problems such as bugs, crickets, or
anything like that.

Again, I see a tremendous response to the spring application. By the way,
I live in Fla, could it be that the grass will not respond as well when it
is so hot ?

Any ideas ??

--James--

Old 31-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Greg Rice

My limited understanding... tells me that August heat makes the grass go
partially or completely dormant. My lawn doesn't grow as much in August as
it does in July. My weeds don't seem to mind the heat tho'.

"James Nipper" wrote in message

[...]

---

Old 01-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Peter H

[...]

Florida's a long way from my own turf, but as a general rule lawns are a
cool weather thing. No grass verities grow well in all temperatures, so they
plant what will grow well for most of the growing season, which would be
spring, fall and probably even the winter in Florida.

In the heat of the summer your lawn will try to go dormant and trying to "
force " it to grow at this time can lead to diseased turf. Keep the fert for
the spring and fall.

Peter H

Old 03-09-2003, 04:22 AM
James Nipper

Too much thatch would hurt the lawn in the summer but not in the Spring ??
My lawn looks fantastic when I fertilize it in the early Spring. But, it
does not respond AT ALL when I fertilize it in early August.

Most comments here is that is just will not do well in the very hottest part
of the summer. So, I will try to wait until things cool a bit before I
fertilzie again.

--James--

--------------

Old 03-09-2003, 12:22 PM

"James Nipper" wrote:
Too much thatch would hurt the lawn in the summer but not in the Spring
?? My lawn looks fantastic when I fertilize it in the early Spring. But,
it does not respond AT ALL when I fertilize it in early August.

Most comments here is that is just will not do well in the very hottest
part of the summer. So, I will try to wait until things cool a bit
before I fertilzie again.

--James--

Most good commercial lawn foods are formulated to not release their
nutrients during dry weather, otherwise they would burn the turf.

If you're not getting adequate irrigation (1 inch per week)don't bother
fertilizing.

--
GO #40
Old 03-09-2003, 10:02 PM
James Nipper

Yes, I get good irrigation. I have an irrigation system, and the lawn get
about an inch per week.

--James--