Old 19-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Shane

Default aerate + water

Just a quick question, if you aerate your lawn do you need to water it right
away? For best results should you fertilize the lawn after you aerate?

It is still a little cold to be turning on the sprinklers and I don't want
any pipes to break so I'm going to hold off water the lawn for awhile. Any
infoormation would be greatly appreciated!

Shane

Old 19-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Steveo

"Shane" wrote:
Just a quick question, if you aerate your lawn do you need to water it
right away? For best results should you fertilize the lawn after you
aerate?

It is still a little cold to be turning on the sprinklers and I don't
want any pipes to break so I'm going to hold off water the lawn for
awhile. Any infoormation would be greatly appreciated!

Shane

1. Be sure there's no frost in the ground when you aerate.

2. Don't forget to mark your heads first.

3. Forget about watering, don't need it.

4. Fertilize anytime after you aerate, doesn't have to be the
same day.

Old 20-03-2004, 03:03 AM
Steveo

"Shane" wrote:
Thanks Steveo, you have been very helpful!

Shane

No problem, good luck with your turf.

Old 21-03-2004, 04:34 AM
Anonymous

Also BTW after aeration is a good time to put down lime (I like
pelletized dolomite) and micronized iron (makes the grass good and green
without causing the rapid growth (and more frequent cuttings) if you put
down a lot of nitrogen). I like to aerate in the fall because aeration
can cause more rapid moisture loss which isn't typically an issue at
that time. While I wouldn't water right after aeration you might keep
and eye on things and if it starts to look dry you might give it a bit
more water.

Michael

Old 25-03-2004, 12:04 AM
Shane

Hey Guys,

I have been told many things the past week and I wanted to see what you guys
thought. I was going to aerate this weekend, but someone else told me that
power-raking is just as good at aerating. What would you guys recommend? If
I don't aerate in the spring can I still do during the summer months? Any
information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Shane

Old 25-03-2004, 03:38 AM
RoyDMercer

No, you're really talking about two different things although both have
similar purposes. Power-raking is for thatch buildup. Thatch happens most
commonly when you use a non-mulching lawn mower and leave the clippings on
the lawn. The clippings pile up faster than they can decompose. These
clippings pile up and prevent air and water from penetrating down to the
roots. Thatch can also harbor disease and pest problems. A good strong
raking is what's required to remove thatch. If you don't have thatch, power
raking is not going to accomplish anything. Thatch can be avoided by
bagging or by using a good mulching mower. If you use a mulching mower, be
sure to mow when you should. If the grass gets too high and you try to take
too much off, the mulching system will not be able to mulch everything and
you run the risk of thatch.

Aeration is to take plugs out of the soil so water and air can penetrate
deeply. It's most beneficial for compacted clay soils. So if you have soil
that gets compacted by animal and people traffic, regular aeration can help
keep your lawn healthy.

Old 18-04-2004, 01:12 AM
Dave

I heard aerating is a good way to get rid of fairy rings?? Is this correct?

Thanks, Dave
"Shane" wrote in message
Just a quick question, if you aerate your lawn do you need to water it

right
away? For best results should you fertilize the lawn after you aerate?

It is still a little cold to be turning on the sprinklers and I don't want
any pipes to break so I'm going to hold off water the lawn for awhile. Any
infoormation would be greatly appreciated!

Shane

Thoughts on Chemlawn for aerate/overseed? blahb Lawns 2 28-09-2003 01:47 AM
Cost to dethatch and aerate in Seattle Area Jim Sullivan Lawns 1 17-09-2003 12:44 AM
aerate grass now? groggey Lawns 3 29-05-2003 11:20 PM
Dethatch or Aerate first? lbbs Edible Gardening 6 26-04-2003 03:20 AM
Dethatch or Aerate first? lbbs Gardening 2 25-04-2003 02:44 PM