Old 12-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Shane

Default Another Fertilizer Question... :)

Hey Everyone,

I fertilized my lawn with Scotts Turf Builder about two weeks ago.
Everything is turning green and all your comments and suggestions helped me.
BUT I am starting to notice dandelion's and white tops in my grass now! What
would be the best way to control that? Should I go buy Scotts Turf Builder
Plus 2 and refertilize the lawn? Or should I find some spray thats safe for
the lawn and spray each infected area? Any information would be greatly
appreciated!

Shane

Old 12-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Steveo

"Shane" wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I fertilized my lawn with Scotts Turf Builder about two weeks ago.
Everything is turning green and all your comments and suggestions helped
me. BUT I am starting to notice dandelion's and white tops in my grass
now! What would be the best way to control that? Should I go buy Scotts
Turf Builder Plus 2 and refertilize the lawn? Or should I find some spray
thats safe for the lawn and spray each infected area? Any information
would be greatly appreciated!

Shane

Ortho's weed be gone liquid works great. It even comes in a ready
to use hose end sprayer, if you're leery of mixing it yourself.

Don't re-fertilize till 6 weeks have gone by.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Anonymous

I agree. Weed B Gone is definitely the way to go. You want to
specifically address your weed problem. A combo product like Turf
Builder or any other "weed 'n feed" will put you in danger of over
fertilizing your lawn. At best you will be cutting the grass every
three days, at worst you could have a brown dead mess on your hands.

Old 12-04-2004, 11:40 PM
Shane

Steveo,

I haven't put down a crabgrass preventer, is that something I really
need to do? I don't think I have any crabgrass anywhere. I have Kentuky blue
grass and the only thing that looks bad is the dandelion's and now the white
top weeds that are starting to spread in the backyard. I can get the
dandelion's undercontrol, but I'm kinda worried about this white top weed.

Shane

Old 13-04-2004, 12:14 AM
Steveo

Well I didn't catch where you live first off. At any rate, crabgrass
is an annual grass weed, it only lives one growing season so most of
it can be prevented in the spring. You may not need a pre-emergence,
but it's a decent insurance policy. It may not be too late for you
to use it, depending on your soil temp in a few weeks when it's
time for you to feed again. (if you decide to use it)

We try to get it down before the Forsythia stops blooming here
in N Ohio. ( btw..Dimension is a good preventer)

Old 13-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Shane

I live in Utah. Its still pretty cold here so in 2 week's (because I already
put down turb builder 2 weeks ago) I should lay down some crabgrass
preventer. Any other sugestions for a first time home owner?

Shane

Old 14-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Steveo

If you're growing bluegrass there then I suppose you might
have crabgrass pressure too. (?) So yes, you might want to
consider a pre-emergent while you still can.

ps. you can't plant grass seed when using a pre-e.

Any other sugestions for a first time home owner?

Are we writing a book?

fertilizer question ed Roses 3 20-01-2004 09:27 PM
Tomato plants / need help / fertilizer question Thomas Jacobs Gardening 3 02-06-2003 11:44 AM
Fertilizer Question Frank Mamone Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
Fertilizer Question Frank Mamone Freshwater Aquaria Plants 22 04-03-2003 02:15 PM
Question: Need Queen Palm Fertilizer Toby Gardening 0 07-02-2003 08:31 PM