Old 18-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Former Organ Donor

Default 2 questions for the lawn gurus...

1. I have a moss growing in my lawn on the north side of the house. I have
tried everything from skimming it off of my lawn to digging it out. There is
no way to get sun to it directly, but even in the spots that get plenty of
sun, it still grows. What do I do to get rid of it?

2. I have this vine-ish stuff all over my yard. Someone told me it was
'creeping charlie' and that there was some stuff I could spray on it to make
it go away. I have a problem with sprays because my children like to play in
the back yard where this stuff is taking over my lawn. Is there a way to get
rid of it without the chemicals? If not, what is a good chemical that is kid
friendly?

Any advice would be great!

Old 18-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Steveo

"Former Organ Donor" wrote:
1. I have a moss growing in my lawn on the north side of the house. I
have tried everything from skimming it off of my lawn to digging it out.
There is no way to get sun to it directly, but even in the spots that get
plenty of sun, it still grows. What do I do to get rid of it?

Try agricultural limestone applications, 50 lbs/1000 sg ft. Your soil
may be acidic. It may take a year or more to see results.

2. I have this vine-ish stuff all over my yard. Someone told me it was
'creeping charlie' and that there was some stuff I could spray on it to
make it go away. I have a problem with sprays because my children like to
play in the back yard where this stuff is taking over my lawn. Is there a
way to get rid of it without the chemicals? If not, what is a good
chemical that is kid friendly?

Any advice would be great!

Weed b gone, keep the kids off the lawn for 24 hrs.
Old 18-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Peter H

"Former Organ Donor" wrote in message
[...]

Some information on your location would help here. On the west coast of
Canada and the US moss is a real problem and they are further advanced in
the treatment of it. We don't do much with in the central or eastern regions
except to remove as much of the moss as possible and lime the soil. Normally
the problem will recur though.

Creeping Charlie is a tough weed to get rid of, but killex will do it. Try
and get it in the spring when actively growing. Hit it, wait 2 weeks and hit
it again, wait 2 weeks and hit it again. If your laying down the herbicide
according to the specs you'll get a handle on it by the summer.

Peter H

Old 18-04-2004, 04:04 PM
RoyDMercer

[...]

You need to tell us what part of the country you live in and what type of
grass you have.

Old 20-04-2004, 05:04 AM
Former Organ Donor

"RoyDMercer" wrote in message
"Former Organ Donor" wrote in message

You need to tell us what part of the country you live in and what type of
grass you have.

I live in the south east corner of South Dakota. The type of grass is that
mixed stuff with some of that damn creeping charlie in it.

Old 20-04-2004, 01:05 PM

get the kids to pull it out

LOL! Good idea. It *is* kind of fun to yank.

I've had patches of creeping charlie, as well, and the Weed-B-Gone
does a great job. For large areas, I just use the kind that connects
to your garden hose.
Old 20-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Doug G

Former Organ Donor wrote:
"RoyDMercer" wrote in message
"Former Organ Donor" wrote in message

You need to tell us what part of the country you live in and what type of
grass you have.

I live in the south east corner of South Dakota. The type of grass is that
mixed stuff with some of that damn creeping charlie in it.

Ortho® Weed-B-Gon® Chickweed, Clover and Oxalis Killer for Lawns got rid
of the ground ivy (creeping charlie) that was taking over my backyard.
I live in northern Illinois.

Managing lawn weeds:
http://www.cce.cornell.edu/programs/...are/weeds.html

Weed-B-Gon info:
http://tinyurl.com/3grbx

Question for the Gurus ! Phalguy Orchids 1 11-05-2006 10:40 AM
Question for the gurus! Al Orchids 10 25-03-2005 01:04 AM
Gardening Gurus URL Donald R Smith Australia 1 20-04-2003 12:20 PM
one for you lawn gurus Michael Anderson United Kingdom 2 04-03-2003 09:47 PM