Old 04-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Matt

Default applying fertilizer

I fertilized my lawn for the first time. I borrowed my neighbour's drop
spreader. When I returned it to him he asked if I did a perpendicular pass
when applying. He mentioned that I would get lines in my grass...where the
fertilizer would have been missed.

Well. I didn't realize that spreading fertilizer is like painting a wall.
You would have to stare for a very long time to find the art in the design
that I left (my yard shape is irregular). I thought that the fertilizer
would spread in the soil after a rain...actually, I wasn't thinking...

How much time should laps before applying more fertilizer?

Matt

Old 04-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Steveo

"Matt" wrote:
I fertilized my lawn for the first time. I borrowed my neighbour's drop
spreader. When I returned it to him he asked if I did a perpendicular
pass when applying. He mentioned that I would get lines in my
grass...where the fertilizer would have been missed.

Well. I didn't realize that spreading fertilizer is like painting a
wall. You would have to stare for a very long time to find the art in the
design that I left (my yard shape is irregular). I thought that the
fertilizer would spread in the soil after a rain...actually, I wasn't
thinking...

How much time should laps before applying more fertilizer?

Matt

I didn't catch where you live but I'd be re-doing it
right now, here in N Ohio.

I'd be using a broadcast spreader instead of a drop, with
no weed control..food only.

Run it at half rate, in both directions. Then get your lawnmower
gassed up.

--
I won't retire, but I might retread.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:07 AM
Matt

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in Eastern Ontario.

I cut the grass last Saturday. My back yard faces south...

Don't I risk burning if I re-apply so soon? Or does that happen only if
there is weed control?

Thanks,

Matt

Old 05-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Steveo

"Matt" wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I'm in Eastern Ontario.

I cut the grass last Saturday. My back yard faces south...

Don't I risk burning if I re-apply so soon? Or does that happen only if
there is weed control?

Thanks,

Matt

With the cool spring weather I doubt you'll risk burning it.

--
I won't retire, but I might retread.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Chet Hayes

About 2 months should be the minimum between applications.
Personally, I fertilize once in spring, then twice in fall. Too much
nitrogen, especially combined with hot weather and water promotes
disease and fungus. The lawn may be a little less green, but more
likely to have less problems.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:12 PM
CJ

If it makes you feel any better my lawn is a mosaic of super-green splotches
from early season repairs. Sure beats the mess that was there before.
cj

. ..

Old 09-05-2004, 06:05 AM
DIE SPAMMER !!!

Don't I risk burning if I re-apply so soon? Or does that happen only if
there is weed control?

No, you risk buring the grass when applying too much...