Old 30-06-2004, 06:04 PM
No One

Default Tall Fescue Lawn Question

I read at various places to not put tall fescue seed in a kentucky
bluegrass lawn. My question is this: I think I have a lawn filled
with K31 tall fescue. Is ok to reseed it with a newer variety or
should I stick to K31 for a more uniform appearance?
Thanks.

Old 30-06-2004, 10:08 PM

No One wrote:
I read at various places to not put tall fescue seed in a kentucky
bluegrass lawn. My question is this: I think I have a lawn filled
with K31 tall fescue. Is ok to reseed it with a newer variety or
should I stick to K31 for a more uniform appearance?
Thanks.

Why don't put tall fescue with blue grass? I purchase a blend for
overseeding that has both mixed together. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the advice,

tom

***************** Check Us Out *****************
http://www.CarFleaMarket.com
Bringing back low-cost online car ads to the web!
Old 30-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Peter H

No One wrote:
I read at various places to not put tall fescue seed in a kentucky
bluegrass lawn. My question is this: I think I have a lawn filled
with K31 tall fescue. Is ok to reseed it with a newer variety or
should I stick to K31 for a more uniform appearance?
Thanks.

Why don't put tall fescue with blue grass? I purchase a blend for
overseeding that has both mixed together. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the advice,

tom

Tall fescue won't blend w/ Kentucky Blue. It grows quicker and has a much
coarser leaf.

Peter H

Old 01-07-2004, 02:12 AM
Steveo

No One wrote:
I read at various places to not put tall fescue seed in a kentucky
bluegrass lawn. My question is this: I think I have a lawn filled
with K31 tall fescue. Is ok to reseed it with a newer variety or
should I stick to K31 for a more uniform appearance?
Thanks.

Why don't put tall fescue with blue grass? I purchase a blend for
overseeding that has both mixed together. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the advice,

tom

Tall fescue won't blend w/ Kentucky Blue. It grows quicker and has a much
coarser leaf.

Better tell the suppliers to stop selling it as a blend, by the train
car load then.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Steveo

No One wrote:
I read at various places to not put tall fescue seed in a

kentucky
bluegrass lawn. My question is this: I think I have a lawn

filled
with K31 tall fescue. Is ok to reseed it with a newer variety

or
should I stick to K31 for a more uniform appearance?
Thanks.

Why don't put tall fescue with blue grass? I purchase a blend

for
overseeding that has both mixed together. Am I doing something

wrong?

Nope, they sell them blended for seeding. I've used tons..the more

blue
you add, the more it costs. Tall Fescue doesn't spread much..one

seed =
one plant..sorta.

The issue with mixing kentucky blue grass and tall fescue is that as
Peter pointed out, tall fescue is a larger blade grass and grows
faster, tending to crowd out the blue grass. However, there are

newer
varieties of tall fescue like Duster or Montauk, that have finer
blades and are slower growing. Those should be better at blending
with blue grass.

Which brings me back to my original question. Will the old tall fescue
K31 do the same thing to the newer tall fescue? Thanks.

Yes, I'd kill it first, and then plant a turf type tall fescue/blue blend.

Fall is -great- for that.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Chet Hayes

Steveo wrote in message ...

No One wrote:
[...]

It all depends what you like and what you are trying to do. K31 is a
coarser tall fescue, but I don;t think it will crowd out one of the
newer finer blade varieties because they are still similar grasses.
If you are satisfied with how your lawn looks, but want to fill in
areas, thicken it, then you can probably overseed with one of the
newer tall fescues or just use K31. I wouldn't use the newer one in
an area like one big empty spot without K31 too, because then you will
likely notice a difference.

If you want a different, finer look, better color, less mowing,
disease/insect resistance, etc, then killing it and starting over is
the way to go.

Along the way, I'd test the soil and make sure you have the right PH,
etc. I'd use a slice seeder and wait till fall.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Heidi the Horrible

coarser leaf.

Better tell the suppliers to stop selling it as a blend, by the train
car load then.

Yep, I bought sod that is a mix of turf type tall fescue and bluegrass. A
year later, it looks great.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Heidi the Horrible

I consider K31 part of the Al-Quaeda network and attempt to eradicate it
wherever it hides and replace it with a multicultural, democratic society of
Turf type tall fescue and bluegrass.

Old 07-07-2004, 04:03 AM

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:47:48 -0400, "Heidi the Horrible"
wrote:

I consider K31 part of the Al-Quaeda network and attempt to eradicate it
wherever it hides and replace it with a multicultural, democratic society of
Turf type tall fescue and bluegrass.

Obviously writen by a person who really enjoys 'grass'

:-P

later,

tom

**************** http://www.Intertainia.com ***********
Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com
Old 07-07-2004, 04:02 PM
No One

That's pretty funny. My war must be less promising than your's. I am
using the K31 troops to help eradicate my other weeds. I might turn on
them afterwards, but for now I'll let them fight for me. The major
enemies are Creeping Charlie, Violets, and Wild Strawberry. Those damn
violets are tough *******s, in my yard they can survive a single
nuclear blast of roundup. It staggers the crap out of them, but
they're still standing.

Old 07-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Tiger Woods

"Heidi the Horrible" wrote in message
I consider K31 part of the Al-Quaeda network and attempt to eradicate it
wherever it hides and replace it with a multicultural, democratic society

of
Turf type tall fescue and bluegrass.

That's a racially insensitive comment considering the internet is a
world-wide forum.

Fine Fescue flavor: K31 or creeping red fescue? ZoysiaSod Lawns 2 20-04-2012 07:40 PM
Wild Fescue in a Fescue lawn G Burton Lawns 8 17-10-2005 03:13 PM
tall fescue turning yellow John Lawns 0 10-01-2004 05:43 PM
Please help with tall fescue problem... Kevin Miller Gardening 4 28-04-2003 03:56 AM
Dwarf Tall Fescue Bob Gardening 3 24-04-2003 05:44 PM