Old 05-09-2004, 07:05 PM
tenplay

Default Questions re lawn weeds

My large backyard is constantly infested with weeds. It is mostly grass
rather than lawn. I can't use herbicides because my backyard borders a
wild bird sanctuary and lake. What do you suggest for getting rid of
the weeds? I have used a handy tool called the Weed Popper, but it's
tines are too far apart and often miss the roots of the weeds. Also can
weeds like dandelions reroot themselves if they are left on top of the
ground? Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Crash Street Kidde

tenplay wrote:
My large backyard is constantly infested with weeds. It is mostly grass
rather than lawn. I can't use herbicides because my backyard borders a
wild bird sanctuary and lake. What do you suggest for getting rid of
the weeds? I have used a handy tool called the Weed Popper, but it's
tines are too far apart and often miss the roots of the weeds. Also can
weeds like dandelions reroot themselves if they are left on top of the
ground? Thanks for any advice.

What do the bird sanctuary and lake have to do with prohibiting your use
of herbicides? If you're careful and follow label directions you should
have no problem.

Old 05-09-2004, 07:40 PM
tenplay

Crash Street Kidde wrote:

tenplay wrote:

My large backyard is constantly infested with weeds. It is mostly
grass rather than lawn. I can't use herbicides because my backyard
borders a wild bird sanctuary and lake. What do you suggest for
getting rid of the weeds? I have used a handy tool called the Weed
Popper, but it's tines are too far apart and often miss the roots of
the weeds. Also can weeds like dandelions reroot themselves if they
are left on top of the ground? Thanks for any advice.

What do the bird sanctuary and lake have to do with prohibiting your use
of herbicides? If you're careful and follow label directions you should
have no problem.

It is one of the homeowner association rules around here.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Dan Hartung

tenplay wrote:
My large backyard is constantly infested with weeds. It is mostly grass
rather than lawn. I can't use herbicides because my backyard borders a
wild bird sanctuary and lake. What do you suggest for getting rid of
the weeds? I have used a handy tool called the Weed Popper, but it's
tines are too far apart and often miss the roots of the weeds. Also can
weeds like dandelions reroot themselves if they are left on top of the
ground? Thanks for any advice.

90% of weed control is a healthy lawn. Mow the grass a little higher
next year, especially in the spring, and you may eliminate a fair number
of the weeds that way alone.

Dandelions shouldn't reroot themselves but the risk of reseeding is high
unless you remove them from the property. We yard-bag ours and send them
to a city compost facility.

You should also have a weed fork and use that on your hands and knees
(alas) to get the root out.

Is there a source for the weeds such as the sanctuary? Perhaps
establishing a buffer with a planting bed, maybe a berm, will help.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:56 AM
Chet Hayes

Dan Hartung wrote in message ...
tenplay wrote:
[...]

While I agree that a healthy lawn with good turf is the best way to
keep weeds out, the truth is it's nearly impossible and certainly
impractical to get there from an existing poor turf that is full of
weeds without using chemicals.

Old 07-09-2004, 09:42 AM
Dan Hartung

Chet Hayes wrote:
While I agree that a healthy lawn with good turf is the best way to
keep weeds out, the truth is it's nearly impossible and certainly
impractical to get there from an existing poor turf that is full of
weeds without using chemicals.

I tend to feel that way myself, but I didn't make the HOA rules nor did
I decide to move there.

If he's limited to "natural" methods he will have to get better advice
than he can get here, most likely, such as from his extension agent or a
landscaper who works in the area. His neighbors may well have techniques
that work better or worse for them.

Failing that, institute weed control by teenager.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:57 AM
Chet Hayes

Chet Hayes wrote:
While I agree that a healthy lawn with good turf is the best way to
keep weeds out, the truth is it's nearly impossible and certainly
impractical to get there from an existing poor turf that is full of
weeds without using chemicals.

I tend to feel that way myself, but I didn't make the HOA rules nor did
I decide to move there.

If he's limited to "natural" methods he will have to get better advice
than he can get here, most likely, such as from his extension agent or a
landscaper who works in the area. His neighbors may well have techniques
that work better or worse for them.

Failing that, institute weed control by teenager.

Teenagers don't pull weeds these days, they grow it.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Danny

Call an Organic Lawn Fertilizer Company and get an estimate to have them
fertilize for you. Although they may be a little above normal, I've seen the
best looking lawns are done with organic fertilizer..

-------------------
www.askalandscaper.com

Old 11-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Danny

Show me one effective organic selective turf herbicide.

Your gonna make me work eh? lol
Let me give my friend a call at Natural Choice..
http://www.westhartfordct.net/busine... inessid=3092

This is all i can find on him. Every lawn this guys fertilizes is the best..
I think i have a pic of one somewhere.. hang tight

Old 16-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Steveo

"Danny" wrote:
Call an Organic Lawn Fertilizer Company and get an estimate to have them
fertilize for you. Although they may be a little above normal, I've seen
the best looking lawns are done with organic fertilizer..

You do understand that calling your produts -organic- leaves room for major
interpritation as to what you have on the truck.

In Chemistry, an Organic compound is one containing Carbon atoms.

The opposite term is Inorganic.

--
Kerry voted for that, before he voted against it.
Old 21-09-2004, 09:05 AM
DiskMan

I'm sure there's some info somewhere on how to take care of a lawn
'naturally'. For starters, using an safe/natural pre-emergent in the early
spring and late fall will do wonders. For keeping thing's tidey, allow the
grass to grow out from time to time during the early summer, this chokes out
young weeds... Also, don't mow too low, sounds simple but it does wonders...
With Kentucky Blue Grass, anything under 4in is too low and allows weeds to
sprout.... in abundance. there are a few other things that you can do
naturally...

Here's a link with some good tips:
http://eartheasy.com/grow_lawn_care.htm

Will L G