Old 25-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Fred

Default Aeration/Seed/Starer Fertilizer/Lime order

Hello,

I need to accomplish the following tomorrow is the order correct?
1. Aerate
2. Seed
3. Starter Fertilizer
4. Lime

Also when aerating just one pass, or as in thatching horizontal, vertical,
than diagonal?

Thanks,
Fred

Old 28-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Jay Chan

I need to accomplish the following tomorrow is the order correct?
1. Aerate
2. Seed
3. Starter Fertilizer
4. Lime

I aerate first, and then I add seeds and fertilizer. I think this
doesn't matter whether you add seeds first or fertilizer first because
I do both at the same day any way.

I add lime weeks before adding seeds/fertilizer because I am under the
impression that lime will take one month to fully take effect. You can
add lime before or after adding seeds/fertilizer; that should not make
any difference.

In the last step, I will also add a thin layer of top soil or compost
over the seeds. I believe this helps germination and prevent birds
from eating all the seeds. But doing this is the most physical part of
the seeding process.

Hope this helps.

Jay Chan
Old 28-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Chet Hayes

"Fred" wrote in message . net...
Hello,

I need to accomplish the following tomorrow is the order correct?
1. Aerate
2. Seed
3. Starter Fertilizer
4. Lime

Also when aerating just one pass, or as in thatching horizontal, vertical,
than diagonal?

Thanks,
Fred

Other than starting with aeration, the rest doesn't matter. I'd
definetly go horiz and vert to get better coverage with the aeration.
You want a moderate amount, but don't over do it to the point that you
tear up all the turf.